BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not overdo the "we're both poor country cousins" comparison too much there's a world of difference between the budget Rovers operate and the one Burnley are trying to get away with this season.

Fair play in many respects to them for that. It has however seemingly cost them their manager half way through the season so in that respect it has already backfired.

I think it was done for the inevitable day that they get relegated (be it this season or next). They will be in much better position than they were when they got promoted, with better players and still on a Championship budget.

I think John Bond is available at present.....

I remember walking up to John Bond at the 1991 Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe @ Longchamp and saying:

"Mr Bond, may I have the pleasure of shaking your hand?"

"Certainly"

"Yes, I'd like to thank you most generously for ****ing Burnley up"

Our friendship didn't last long!

Little Fergie could be a good appointment for them - and follows a similar model to the Coyle appointment

Manu 3rds at'Turf

I think it was done for the inevitable day that they get relegated (be it this season or next). They will be in much better position than they were when they got promoted, with better players and still on a Championship budget.

Absolutely. And like I said fair play to them for that in many respects.

However I'd be surprised if Coyle hadn't been hoping for a bit of a re-evaluation and a little more leeway given that he had guided them to such an unexpected position at this stage.

I expected them to get 15 points all season, pocket the Premiership money - thank you very much - and start over next season.

[removed, not sure on the legal footing so we'll steer clear]

Its got to be Ferguson hasn't it. He's young, cheap and relatively exciting. I would have thought that would have played a large part in the decision to 'let' Coyle leave aswell. They can get a good wad of cash for him now, let the fans turn on him instead of the club and get hold of another promising manager whilst he's about.

I remember walking up to John Bond at the 1991 Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe @ Longchamp and saying:

"Mr Bond, may I have the pleasure of shaking your hand?"

"Certainly"

"Yes, I'd like to thank you most generously for ****ing Burnley up"

Our friendship didn't last long!

:lol::lol: Sir John Bond, I'd love to buy him a drink.

Ferguson is top of PNE's list according to the chairman, and they'll be speaking with him this week.

Surely a club the size of burnley should be going for Alex not Darren :o

Well I'm not laughing at Burnley fans today.. I feel desperately sorry for them as I did for us when it was clear Hughes was on the move. We can makes jokes at their expense as they do at our's but deep down, the vast majority of Rovers fans know they are the same as the vast majority of Burnley fans----poor cousins ( dare I use that word) in a rich man's League, Town club fans in a League of super-megapolis teams, loyal to the last despite the odds against us.. I felt really proud of the fact that we have 7 Lancashire teams in the Premiership but I think that is unlikely to last. Today is just another bad day for our sort of football, another confirmation that the only loyalty in today's game comes from us, the fans. Bolton may have benefitted today but they will assuredly lose tomorrow.

That won't stop me from hoping we thrash Burnley at the Turd of course!

I was beginning to despair until I read your post 47er. I am now re-assured that there still are a small number of genuine human beings amongst us football fans, and that we are not all ignorant boorish morons who find amusement in other peoples anguish. And also that we are not all totally motivated by money and blinded to the feelings and needs of others. Some of the posts on this thread have shown their authors up in their true colours and no mistake.

I was beginning to despair until I read your post 47er. I am now re-assured that there still are a small number of genuine human beings amongst us football fans, and that we are not all ignorant boorish morons who find amusement in other peoples anguish. And also that we are not all totally motivated by money and blinded to the feelings and needs of others. Some of the posts on this thread have shown their authors up in their true colours and no mistake.

don't knock it. this is burnley remember. i hate burnley. i really do. i hate nobody else in life, i have never been in a fight, i am not a racist or a homophobe, i have no prejudices towards anyone else. but i hate burnley with a passion i cannot describe. i wake up early in the morning, simply because there are not enough hours in the day to hate them. for all their blind optimism, false gods and general idiocy (not all of them admittedly, i'd say i have known over a hundred burnley fans and a grand total of two of them have been realists) I am delighted to see this happen to them. It is what they did to St. Johnstone, it is what they may well do to some other team in the next week. It is what they laughed at us for when Hughes left. they wanted to be in the premier league. this is the premier league. this is life.

I take exception to your sanctimonious holier than thou attitude as well Fife.

"Ignorant boorish moron" how dare you?

Make no mistake it is Survival of the fittest out there these days and whilst I am not blinkered enough not to realise what an incredible achievement it was for Burnley to reach the Premier League on their budget, it is very much in our interests for them to return from whence they came asap. Ditto Bolton. In fact if Burnley, Bolton, PNE and Blackpool were all playing at Stanley's level or lower - that would be the ideal scenario for us.

Economic reality I'm afraid, not to mention all part of the fun derived from local rivalry.

I'd expect no less from any of our Claret counterparts or other local rivals, I'd be amazed if they wanted us to do well.

That would be fantastic! He could turn the dressing room over to whoever plants cannabis plants he knows! ;) Turf Moor would make a good plant nursery.

Kilby couldn't afford the electricity bills!

Sky- Bolton rubber stamping Coyle's appointment which will be announced within 24 hours.

Never thought I'd be envious of the Trotters but I am just now.

I can't agree with braddock either, I don't "hate" Burnley or their supporters for one second.

For large parts of our history however the Club have been our closest rivals and as such I just don't want them to do well. And I will enjoy making fun of them if they don't.

As I would hope, they would with us.

Reading the spin in that Sky article makes you wonder why Bolton felt Megson deserved the sack:

The Trotters are only in the bottom three on goal difference, have games in hand on many of their relegation rivals and are just four points adrift of Everton, who currently occupy 11th spot in the table.

Archived