BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

Thanks Earl, I agree with that and I too will enjoy the next few days if Owen Coyle indeed becomes Bolton Manager!

In all honesty, it's just nice to see something going wrong for 'the others' instead of ourselves. They've been laughing at us since Incey was here and they still were up until recent developments because of the little entertaiment Sam provides. However, I have no doubt that whoever takes over will now take them down. Coyle was doing a miraculous job with that set of players even as they stand right now in the league. All that work will be thrown out with all the trash and all us Rovers will finally feel as though things are back to normal in this part of the world. Happy days!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in my eyes coyle will indeed be a God when he leaves sometime this week leaving burnley to be relegated, whilst at the same time taking down down bolton as well.

it will be interesting to see if they set fire to his wife in the chippy like they did with jimmy mullen when he was on the way out :lol:

In all honesty, it's just nice to see something going wrong for 'the others' instead of ourselves. They've been laughing at us since Incey was here and they still were up until recent developments because of the little entertaiment Sam provides. However, I have no doubt that whoever takes over will now take them down. Coyle was doing a miraculous job with that set of players even as they stand right now in the league. All that work will be thrown out with all the trash and all us Rovers will finally feel as though things are back to normal in this part of the world. Happy days!

Not to forget their glee and gloating when Sparky did a Coyle (pre-mature I know, but hopeful) They also expected our demise to be instant, it almost was but we turned it around, who knows maybe they can too. B)

On Wednesday when Gary Megson was sacked I said that although I'd be surprised if Owen Coyle moved to Bolton, we shouldn't be completely shocked by anything in the world of football these days and that money is very often a factor in many people's motives.

Hardly a reason to move from one club in relegation trouble to another though.

Can't think he'd risk his rising reputation for a financial move to a relegation threatened, small town club.

I'm cynical at times, but not that cynical.

Is it time for us all to be a bit more cynical than ever before Den?

I thought that Coyle would stay for a while longer at Burnley and was basing that on the fact that he'd apparently turned down the Celtic job in the summer. What I should have realised was that it may have been partly down to geographical location and not wanting to uproot his family to Glasgow.

A move from Burnley to Bolton will allow Coyle to remain in the Lancashire/Greater Manchester area, give him a bigger salary and a bigger transfer budget. Based on that, I think it's looking likely now that Coyle will leave Burnley. But of course nothing is guaranteed in football until a contract is signed.

I suppose the thing with OC is that he's cultivated a reputation whereby he's painted as some sort of saint. His tee-total, God-fearing, family man personna is something that's been widely covered in several interviews with him. He often talks about honesty, loyalty and integrity in interviews, in reference to his players and himself. He'll not be the first or last manager to depart in this manner, but few managers have had the sort of holier than thou coverage that OC has.

A good point. Forget the teetotal 'whiter than white' image that Coyle may have previously had. I suspect that he's a canny cunning Scot with his finger on the pulse who is looking after number one - or should I say, to put more of a positive spin on it, that he's looking after his family's interests and giving them a higher standard of living. Loyalty to football clubs these days is the exception rather than the norm.

In years gone by there were a number of footballers like Ronnie Clayton at Blackburn Rovers, Jimmy Armfield at Blackpool, Nat Lofthouse at Bolton and Billy Wright at Wolves who all played for the same club throughout their careers and displayed a loyalty to their football clubs.

These days the only players who stay with the same club throughout their careers tend to be players like Giggs, Scholes and Gary Neville who play for a huge club on massive wages. I'm sure that if Giggs and Scholes were only earning peanuts like Ronnie Clayton and Jimmy Armfield, they would have left Man United years ago.

So as I say, we shouldn't be completely shocked by any act of disloyalty these days. The majority of players and managers have a loyalty to their wallets.

The soothing phrase they often come out with to justify their move to other clubs is to say they are "furthering their careers" - a euphemism for wanting to move to a bigger club that pays bigger wages.

At the time of this current post a total of £292,301 has been staked on Betfair's market for the next Bolton manager, with £243,547 (approximately 84%) of that staked on Owen Coyle.

Unlike Scotty, I'm not going to start pointing fingers and making defamatory and malicious allegations that Nicko has been in some way manipulating the Betfair market.

Nicko is a decent chap and I'm not that cynical....

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Burnley poached Coyle from St Johnstone in much the same way Bolton are doing so now. Should we doubt on both occasions the clubs knew that the manager was more than just interested beforehand. Don't remember any sympathy being expressed by Burnley fans for the St Johnstone faitful so why should they deserve sympathy?

What comes around goes around.

Feel free to add in your own cliche here...

Tell you what...say what you like but it is a LONG time since we nicked a manager from someone else and left them in the lurch. Even with Hughes he stayed on with Wales for a good six months or so IIRC.

EDIT - Oh wait...forgot about Ince. Oh well...guess we deserved that one then!

Morning fellow football fans.

Not been on for a while, thought I'd drop by as I assumed this would be subject to some debate and mirth.

Obviously these rumours grew ever stronger on Saturday and unlike the fan who had 'a tear rolling down his face' most I have spoken to are increasingly angry at the way Coyle has conducted himself in this matter, particularly his use of his mouth piece Nixon.

Myself I try to be a little bit more pragmatic about these things, him going is disapointing of course but inevitable at some point if he continued to do well with us. I wish it could have been done with a little more dignity and honour but we can't always get what we want.

Now we need to focus on getting the right replacement in. For me we need to continue to take small gambles rather than looking at the usual tired old names. My preference would be somebody like O'Driscoll at Doncaster, but we shall see.

Clearly this could be disastorous for us, then again our form has dipped, our away record has shown little sign of improving so to be honest our prospect of surviving this season was no better than it was when we got promoted. It was always unlikely and has remained so.

Morning fellow football fans.

Not been on for a while, thought I'd drop by as I assumed this would be subject to some debate and mirth.

Obviously these rumours grew ever stronger on Saturday and unlike the fan who had 'a tear rolling down his face' most I have spoken to are increasingly angry at the way Coyle has conducted himself in this matter, particularly his use of his mouth piece Nixon.

Myself I try to be a little bit more pragmatic about these things, him going is disapointing of course but inevitable at some point if he continued to do well with us. I wish it could have been done with a little more dignity and honour but we can't always get what we want.

Now we need to focus on getting the right replacement in. For me we need to continue to take small gambles rather than looking at the usual tired old names. My preference would be somebody like O'Driscoll at Doncaster, but we shall see.

Clearly this could be disastorous for us, then again our form has dipped, our away record has shown little sign of improving so to be honest our prospect of surviving this season was no better than it was when we got promoted. It was always unlikely and has remained so.

We've been getting s*** on for the last 15 years or so at least. Welcome to our world.

Id say Curbs is the best man for Burnley....worked wonders for Charlton.

Darren Ferguson must be up there too - maybe he could get an agreement with Fergie to loan 1 or 2 of his talented subs?

The problem here is this, an available player is offered £14k per week at Burnley and £20,000 elswhere, who will he choose,£6,000 per wekk is £300,000 per year, even after deductions he will save himself £160,000 and £20,000 is quite a low wage for an established prem player, so you go and gamble with the inexperienced from a lower level, some may 'come off' others will not, there is the problem.

Whoever takes Burnley has a month without Bikey, Caldwell injured for a month two full backs injured and a small squad!!! Will the experienced Curbishley take a job on knowing that, even Darren Fergusen may be reluctant at that!!

O'Driscoll is a good shout though, he may give it a go, Grayson wont leave Leeds now so its a very small market!!

Also, by the time Burnley appoint someone, we will be almost two weeks into the window so time is of the essence as well, interesting to see what happens!

I suppose the thing with OC is that he's cultivated a reputation whereby he's painted as some sort of saint. His tee-total, God-fearing, family man personna is something that's been widely covered in several interviews with him. He often talks about honesty, loyalty and integrity in interviews, in reference to his players and himself. He'll not be the first or last manager to depart in this manner, but few managers have had the sort of holier than thou coverage that OC has.

I just hope that he doesn't pretent his departure is something to do with his affiliation to Bolton. He was only there two years, spent a lot of time on the bench, and in actual fact his managerial career at Burnley is similar to his playing career with Bolton both in terms of achievements (one promotion to Prem) and length. He is (was) unarguably adored more by Burnley fans than he ever was at Bolton. I suspect we'd be in the same position had he never played for them.

I think that gets to the nub of why so many fans feel a little betrayed. It was only about a week ago Coyle was criticising clubs that spend beyond their means - now I maybe wrong here but I thought I'd read Bolton were 30/40 million in debt.

Grayson was the one I wanted before we went for Coyle. At the time he was at Blackpool and I'm sure would have been tempted but now he is never going to leave Leeds for us. Ferguson is a possibility but represents a huge risk, same as Ince with you guys - it could work out or could blow up spectacularly. Curbs et al I think would not move North anyway and I don't think we can hope for success with the tired old names - we need to take an element of risk like we did with Coyle and hope the manager we bring in has that 'spark' - though I do hear Mourinho fancies coming back to England ..........

Well done Longsider. You could be forgiven for keeping your head down and licking your wounds whilst the seemingly inevitable announcement is made.

Do unto others as you would have done to you!

So you whinge about somebody nicking your manager but don't give a flying one for the supporters of Doncaster should you deem it fit to nick theirs (or St Johnston for that matter). Brace yourselves cos no coubt you'll be the ones making illegal approaches over the next few days.

I must say that Kilby and Flood have been suprisingly hasty in sticking a price on Owen Coyle thats for sure! As I said in the summer they will be busy lining their pockets whilst they can and whilst the going is good.... must be quite a novelty cos nobody has ever come in for any of your managers in living memory have they?

If you are coming here for sympathy then no doubt you will find some on here.... about the same amount that could be found on clarets mad when we lost Mark Hughes. :rolleyes: Double standards abound in football. It's dog eat dog and we know that better than most, no doubt you gleaned satisfaction in the past when we lost managers and players? What goes around comes around eh longsider? Get used to it.

This morning's LT reporting that Bolton last night made an official approach to Burnley, for permission to talk to Coyle.

They report a £3.5m get out clause.

The said article.

Oh and AESF, my cynicism was directed at philips comments regarding Coyle moving only for the extra wages.

I don't believe that a young, up and coming manager would move at this stage of his career simply for the extra wages. I don't think he's making the right choice in Bolton [if he goes], but it's not simply down to wages. My advice which is worth nothing, would be to stick with Burnley and continue to make his name there, then move to a club which he could take higher than he ever will with Bolton.

Moving on to the pigs feet.....

Notlob might be purring like the cat that got the cream should they swat tiny Burnley aside and succeed in nicking Owen Coyle but beware trotters..........

1. People continually level the accusation with a certain amount of justification too that Allardyce is struggling at Ewood to get a squad of players who prefer a passing game to play something called 'hoofball'.

2. Little Sam tried the opposite. He inherited a squad of lummoxes and tried to get em to play it on the floor. A dramatic and spectacular failure.

3. Megson rescued the Trotters and saved em from certain relegation by reverting to what they were good at. Rough and tumple, ugly in your face, up and under to find Davies's head stuff. It worked of course and saved em from the championship oblivion but no bgugger thanked him for it and no bgugger liked him much either.

but beware you Manchester overspill

4. Coyle is known for playing expansive flowing football too! :unsure: This might easily end in tears come May!

chin chin

Theno I'm not moaning about them nicking our manager at all - that is part of football.

I'm also not looking for sympathy from any quarter - and if I was this is the last place I'd be looking for it :-)

To be honest I am surprisingly sanguine about this, I think because I always felt it was going to happen at some point if he continued doing well for us.

You mention me suggesting O'Driscoll - IF as a club we are interested in him then I hope we do our business with dignity but yeah, I guess it is more than possible we will use just the same tactics if it is required - we might quite possibly use Mr Nixon to get our stories in the press again so yeah, double standards are clearly the order of the day.

Like I say, I just wish these things could be conducted with a little more dignity - and I guess I wish it wasn't a team that looked like a fellow candidate for the bottom 3.

Well done Longsider. You could be forgiven for keeping your head down and licking your wounds whilst the seemingly inevitable announcement is made.

Do unto others as you would have done to you!

So you whinge about somebody nicking your manager but don't give a flying one for the supporters of Doncaster should you deem it fit to nick theirs (or St Johnston for that matter). Brace yourselves cos no coubt you'll be the ones making illegal approaches over the next few days.

I must say that Kilby and Flood have been suprisingly hasty in sticking a price on Owen Coyle thats for sure! As I said in the summer they will be busy lining their pockets whilst they can and whilst the going is good.... must be quite a novelty cos nobody has ever come in for any of your managers in living memory have they?

If you are coming here for sympathy then no doubt you will find some on here.... about the same amount that could be found on clarets mad when we lost Mark Hughes. :rolleyes: Double standards abound in football. It's dog eat dog and we know that better than most, no doubt you gleaned satisfaction in the past when we lost managers and players? What goes around comes around eh longsider? Get used to it.

It's worth trawling through your threads for the odd gem.

Archived