BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

Think he might well go IF the Bolton board make it attractive enough. The wheels are coming off at Turf Moor. If he is given money to spend at Bolton then it is a better bet than staying at a Burnley side going down the league who seemingly won't give him cash in January.

If he gets relegated with Burnley then his reputation will be affected badly. Paul Jewell got a small club promoted and kept them up. So did Phil Brown.

Not sure why people think one of the bigger boys will come calling. Hughes only got the City job after three top-half finishes AND that was before the real money men took over.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the face of it a move to Bolton looks a side-step but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes at the Dingles. I was also surprised to see that Megson had been backed to the tune of £40m in the transfer market, if they offer to carry that on Coyle could be very interested.

Hardly a reason to move from one club in relegation trouble to another though.

I disagree strongly with that, there's relegation trouble and relegation trouble. Bolton like Rovers are a reasonably well established Premiership Club who SHOULD under reasonable management be finishing comfortably clear of the promoted clubs each season.

By comparison I would say it would be a minor miracle if Burnley stay up with both their 15k p.w. wage ceiling and the size of their squad.

Coyle's best bet would to be to take a step forward and try to do the sort of job Hughes did here and Allardyce did at Bolton.

I was going to say I doubt a lot of the Ewood faithful would want Hughes back after the way he discarded us like a used tissue, but then I suppose the majority dislike Allardyce....

I dont think Coyle would come to Rovers, stranger things have happened of course but I cant see it, plus we alrady have a manager and unless he was poached by Bolton etc, here he will stay for the time being!!

I think this Transfer Window will give us some clues as to where we go now, I genuinely think Sam thought the squad would have done much better than it has, we have had virtually a whole midfield injured and we have squandered loads of chances to score, as a betting man, I do think we will have a good run of scoring sooner than later and that will make such a difference to both style of play and points, I could be wrong, though I do feel he will strengthen/feshen up the squad this window, its wait and see time!

A lot of people won't believe this, and I have no way of proving this to you but i will post it anyway.

My friends mum (a more reliable source than it sounds haha) works at billington school, where coyle's kids go. she (and her son - my friend) saw her at preston train station the other week about to head down to the burnley away game at west ham on the train (not first class either and with the children still in their school uniforms carrying plastic bags full of clothes, the tight get).

They were talking to her and they told me she was a lovely woman, really down to earth. They also told me that she had said (and i have no idea how this came up but it did) coyle was very interested in the celtic job but the only real reason he didn't take it was because his children didn't want to move schools and go back to scotland.

Therefore he's possibly not quite as loyal as first perceived by the dingles. And a job at bolton would require no uprooting of his family, a bigger budget and a job at a former club. he's saying the same things he's said when he was up for the celtic job (not quite denying - just like hughes used to do when people came in) and the bookies seem quite confident he's leaving. as i type i can't find a price for him being the next manager of bolton on william hill. this morning he was 1/5 on at that site to get it. i can only presume they've stopped taking bets on it (unless i'm wrong, i don't know too much about online gambling but it has been taken off a few odds comparison sites).

now i don't want to get people excited for nothing, so i wouldn't have posted this unless i myself felt there was a good chance he would be leaving (after the mk dons game i reckon) as i would look like an idiot when it all blew over. and obviously i don't blame people for taking this post with a huge pinch of salt, but i for one am quite excited about the next few days :D

A lot of people won't believe this, and I have no way of proving this to you but i will post it anyway.

My friends mum (a more reliable source than it sounds haha) works at billington school, where coyle's kids go. she (and her son - my friend) saw her at preston train station the other week about to head down to the burnley away game at west ham on the train (not first class either and with the children still in their school uniforms carrying plastic bags full of clothes, the tight get).

They were talking to her and they told me she was a lovely woman, really down to earth. They also told me that she had said (and i have no idea how this came up but it did) coyle was very interested in the celtic job but the only real reason he didn't take it was because his children didn't want to move schools and go back to scotland.

Therefore he's possibly not quite as loyal as first perceived by the dingles. And a job at bolton would require no uprooting of his family, a bigger budget and a job at a former club. he's saying the same things he's said when he was up for the celtic job (not quite denying - just like hughes used to do when people came in) and the bookies seem quite confident he's leaving. as i type i can't find a price for him being the next manager of bolton on william hill. this morning he was 1/5 on at that site to get it. i can only presume they've stopped taking bets on it (unless i'm wrong, i don't know too much about online gambling but it has been taken off a few odds comparison sites).

now i don't want to get people excited for nothing, so i wouldn't have posted this unless i myself felt there was a good chance he would be leaving (after the mk dons game i reckon) as i would look like an idiot when it all blew over. and obviously i don't blame people for taking this post with a huge pinch of salt, but i for one am quite excited about the next few days :D

Strangely enough, I heard the story about Coyles kids and the school but also that the Celtic/Rangers rivalry was so intense, he didnt want his kids lving in an area through that.

It must be a really difficult yet exciting time for Coyle when something like this happens.

It looks more than likely to happen, which just leaves Burnley to get their PR right, on how they handle the exit of their manager to a close rival.

Remembering Gartside recomended Coyle to the dingles, I think it is highly probable he will follow up on his recomendation for himself this time. Bolton are going to get a superb manager who will really take them up the league.

This move will resolve one of the other relegation slots- the dingles will take it so that just means 18th has to be avoided.

As for the view that Coyle will wait for a bigger club, I think there is a bit of a closed shop emerging for top club jobs- they will increasingly be circulated amongst a few top internationally mobile managers. Clubs playing in Europe want managers who know there way around European competitions. The other thing to remember is that managing the playing side of a club with a £100m+ turnover is a world removed from managing a club with a £15m turnover which is what Burnley were last season. With Bolton he is taking an intermediary step in the world's biggest league.

Had he gone to Celtic, he would have reverted to one of the least competitive leagues around and joined a club inincreasing financial difficulties whose route to Europe (and inevitable European failure) is being cut-off this summer when the SPL is overtaken in 15th place in UEFA rankings by the Belgian League.

• Backroom

I agree to an extent Exiled, would have loved Coyle here but the timing is not right for us, we can't justify changing manager at this stage.

Burnley have a massive task now in who to bring in, you feel it is one of Reid, Jewell, Curbishley and Megson, I still think they may stay up if they get the usual new manager high but I hope I'm wrong

(obviously this is all hypothetical and Coyle may yet stay)

I agree to an extent Exiled, would have loved Coyle here but the timing is not right for us, we can't justify changing manager at this stage.

Burnley have a massive task now in who to bring in, you feel it is one of Reid, Jewell, Curbishley and Megson, I still think they may stay up if they get the usual new manager high but I hope I'm wrong

(obviously this is all hypothetical and Coyle may yet stay)

TCO they're going down.

If Coyle goes to Notlob its one hell of a gamble IMO, nothing like keeping a team he's worked with for years up. If he does take it, which I'd be surprised at, then what price Rovers being the only team in lancashire in the Premiership come the end of the season?

Just goes to show what a fabulous impact Coyle has made at the dingles. How long has been there? He was appointed 22 November 2007 so two years and a month.

I think Bolton finishing 12th or higher is a far more likely outcome than them going down if OC goes to the breezeblock this week.

Dingles on the other hand will be dead ducks so we'd better make the most of the trip to the Turf this season.

• Backroom

If Burnley get in a quality manager they could stay up and start to cement their place in the league. Hopefully not though. A single on Carrotsmad suggested Hiddink as a possible replacement. :lol:

What quality manager is available and going to want to go to a club where the max wage is 14k?

I've said it before on a few other threads, IMO Coyle is going to become a top top manager, absolutely no doubt. Surprised that he is swapping a tiny club for a small club, I think if he kept Bumley up he could make one big leap instead of hopping up the rungs of the ladder. He's destined for a big four club, wish we could have got him, love his style of play. On the bright side though Bumley would be doomed, doomed, doomed, and we need some team to replace Bolton in a relegation spot should Coyle work his miracle.

Archived