BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

• Backroom

Jewell would be suicide for Botlon right now, I think whoever they get they should offer them a contract til lthe end of the season then to be reviewed after that

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jewell would be suicide for Botlon right now, I think whoever they get they should offer them a contract til lthe end of the season then to be reviewed after that

I agree - some guy on 606 is claiming he was told to bet a large chunk of money on him just before Christmas though....maybe he has heard something.

Also strange how he was at the game yesterday!

Imo Burnley will go down this season whereas Bolton at least have a squeak of staying up.

Hardly a reason to move from one club in relegation trouble to another though.

A £1m a year increase in wages?

Can't think he'd risk his rising reputation for a financial move to a relegation threatened, small town club.

I'm cynical at times, but not that cynical.

Ince = Relegation

Shearer & Speed = Relegation

Hughes = Stay up

Dowie = Relegation

Curbishley = Just stay up

Jewell = Not quite sure

I agree with your predictions. I also agree with Phillip that Hghes going to Boltion is unliekly. Which worries me.

While Gartside and Bolton's board may hate Sam, business is business. Bolton is desperate. Sam left Bolton as a winner and would likely deliver fan support. If Bolton's owners are thinking about the finances, and not about hurt feelings/anger, they'll make a play for Sam.

Despite his percieved flaws, Sam will keep us up. If he were to go at this stage of the game, it would be a kick in the groin to our chances.

There is one other candidate that I personally like. Stuart Pierce, England's U-21 coach. He's done well, if I understand who these international competitions work. If Bolton did make a play for Sam, I'd like to see about getting Pierce. Especially considering the recent move to bring down the average age of the Rovers.

oh please, oh please, oh please take Allardyce off us...that would be the perfect late Christmas present, and then we could rebuild with a competent manager and pretend this last 18 months never happened.

And who at this stage of the season, would you suggest to replace Sam? Imo he is stil the best manager to keep us up. Hughes would never come back here, because he was an idiot who did things behind our backs. In fact, JW would kick him in the teeth and tell Hughes to (Please don't use that word again) off.

Who really gives a toss?

Well I suppose Bolton are one of our relegation rivals and so it's significant in the sense that if Bolton pick a good manager they are more likely to stay up. It would be much better for us as Rovers fans if Bolton picked a poor manager and they took up one of the relegation places.

Frankly Rovers are in a bit of a mess at the moment, playing some dreadful football with no wins in our last 8 matches and only one away victory in our last 15 matches, courtesy of Bolton's former boss, Sam the Expert. I'm hoping that Bolton pick a poor manager like Peter Reid. I don't rate Paul Jewell highly either - Jewell being one of the bookies current favourites for the Bolton job, alongside Reid.

Jewell was a disaster at Derby, finishing the 2007/08 season with a record low of 11 points, equalling a 108-year Football League record. Derby's only win of that season came earlier under Billy Davies - against Sam Allardyce's Newcastle. Jewell told Derby fans that he could keep them up when he took over in November of that season, but he failed to get a single win and Derby were absolutely pitiful under his management.

Derby's final record that season of one win, eight draws and 29 losses was shameful and Jewell has to take a large amount of responsibility for that terrible record, having taken over in November promising that he could keep Derby up. Jewell also had a disastrous period in charge of Sheffield Wednesday. He was sacked after 8 months with the Yorkshire club at the bottom of the table.

When I posted in 2008 that married Paul Jewell had been caught by a tabloid newspaper allegedly making sordid sex videos with other women, Eddie on this website was angry with me and asked what relevance it had to do with his football management. I would only suggest that if I was a Derby County fan who had forked out a significant amount of money in tickets to watch the garbage Mr Jewell served up in 2007/08, I would be thinking to myself that perhaps Jewell should have been focusing his attention a little more on football tactics on the pitch rather than allegedly making sex videos.

Or are people perfectly happy if managers on multi-million pound contracts neglect their responsibilities, fail to get a single victory and are bedding as many women as they like while results on the pitch are abysmal?

Tommy Docherty was sacked by Man United in 1977 for having an extra-marital affair with the wife of a United physiotherapist. Times have changed and it's unlikely a manager would be sacked now for such a thing. In our liberal permissive "anything goes" society these days, I suppose some fans wouldn't care if managers visited brothels and bedded half the slappers in the town.

Latest Betfair odds for the Bolton manager's job (at the time of this current post)

Paul Jewell 5.1 (4/1)

Peter Reid 5.5 (9/2)

Darren Ferguson 9.6 (17/2)

Mark Hughes 13 (12/1)

Alan Curbishley 15.5 (Between 14/1 and 15/1)

Owen Coyle 17 (16/1)

Gareth Southgate 26 (25/1)

Steve Coppell 26 (25/1)

Alan Irvine 26 (25/1)

David O'Leary 28 (27/1)

Steve McClaren 29 (28/1)

Gary Speed 36 (35/1)

Dave Jones 40 (39/1)

Slaven Bilic 40 (39/1)

Iain Dowie 40 (39/1)

Alan Shearer 44 (43/1)

Simon Grayson 46 (45/1)

Glenn Hoddle 55 (54/1)

It's interesting to note that at the time of this current post only £12,451 in total has been staked on Betfair's current market for the next Bolton manager. When Harry Redknapp took over for the second time at Portsmouth in December 2005, a staggering £16.7m was staked on the Betfair market.

The FA said that it was "a significant and irregular amount for such a market", but they found no proof of wrongdoing on Harry Redknapp's part.

Can't think he'd risk his rising reputation for a financial move to a relegation threatened, small town club.

Given that Owen Coyle apparently turned down the Celtic job in the summer, I would be surprised if Coyle opted to go to Bolton.

I'm cynical at times, but not that cynical.

I'm afraid in the sickening greedy world of football Den, money often is a factor in many people's motives and we shouldn't be completely shocked by any act of disloyalty these days. Having said that, I tend to agree with you that I don't think Coyle would want to leave Burnley for the Bolton job.

According to the Mail Online, Hughes, Coyle and Jewell have all ruled themselves out of the Bolton job. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1239530/Sacked-Gary-Megson-OUT-Bolton-Wanderers--wants-IN-Reebok.html

Reid, Curbishley and Darren Ferguson are the other contenders, with Reid's prospects being impeded by his friendship with Sam.

Frankly, with the millions involved I can't see 'acrimony' stopping an approach to Sam. On the other hand, if it does blind Bolton's board, so much the better for us.

I hope to god Hughes is not interested....another kick in the rollocks for us if he goes to the Breezeblock!

Where's that Notlob mouthpiece Zulu when you want him? :lol:

Here! Been here all the time. Just watching. Just watching. :P

I've been looking at the names linked with them and if I'm being honest, they might have been better off devil they know.

That list would worry me if it was us.

This! (Think yourself lucky you've got Allardyce. If you get rid of him it will be your list too. A sad fact of life in the Premier League for clubs like ours.)

Archived