BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunn Rejects New Contract

Hughesy

Daily Mail isn't the best source, lets hope its wrong as usual...

Under Sam Dunny has on the whole been playing well (some of his best football for years), remained pretty injury free (until recently) and with him being in the north west has his off the field life sorted (lives close to his young daughter). Considering all those factors i would be surprised if this story was true.

Perhaps our wage budget is so stretched, lets face it Salgado was a pointless signing that has caused problems with our wage budget, that we have offered him a much lower deal than he is currently on?

I agree with you your saying - and I wonder if we have offered a more game by game basis wage, i.e. that factors in the amount of time he actually stays fit.

To be honest with Dunn, Reid & Emerton it would be in the clubs best interests in any new deals to try and protect themselves.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think i ever felt this unhappy as a rovers fan, even when we got relegated i thought our team was good enough to bounce back, this is more bad news after last night. Is there anything positive about Rovers at the moment?? and don't say Carling Cup as we'll be out of that by Thursday

Depend who comes in as replacements or don't you envisage any?

Our recent history suggests that they will either a. not be adequately replaced or b. not be replaced in any capacity. We are about to lose our only sources of creativity, pace and goals with next to no cash coming in the other way and with no money currently available to improve the playing staff. Consequently, I cannot see any good players coming in any time soon.

Next season will see us having to perservere with inadequate, expensive and injury-proneplayers like Andrews, Diouf, Salgado, Grella and Kalinic while we scrap at the bottom of the barrel for new additions because we let our best assets walk away on frees and for next to no cash.

Let's also not forget that Samba will almost certainly be off at the end of the season as the owners look to recover their operating losses. Any money given to the manager from his transfer will almost certainly be wasted.

Hughes left a great core of players for the next manager to work with. What was needed was to keep the better players together, whilst gradually getting rid of the dead wood and bringing in the odd gem now and then. Instead, the deadwood has accumulated, money has been wasted and we've sold / lost most of the clubs assets.

At 30 years old, and injury prone I can see that the club would be reluctant to give Dunn a long contract.

However, I wouldnt blame Dunn for wanting away in order to get a final pay day and a chance of possibly winning something

Given the time and the circustances when he was signed (when his bargaining position was relatively weak - he was coming from the Championship and Allardyce was trying to get him cut price at Bolton) I would imagine he would be behind on the pay scale these players:- Samba, Givet, Nelsen, Pedersen, Emerton, Diouf, McCarthy, Salgado, Robinson, Reid, Chimbonda (all these guys either would have come in on big contracts because they were on them before at other clubs, or did well for us and signed a new contract at a peak of performance)

That said - while I doubt the club would offer him the same terms as McCarthy or Samba (probably our two biggest earners) I imagine he would have been offered decent money which he is unlikely beat elsewhere. Probably some sort of protection for the club if he gets long term injured is the issue. Nicko?

don't blame him in the slightest. Would you want to be at a club run like this one is?

Supporter of the club - would I blame him for wanting to jump ship? Yes!

I'm not going to believe it till I see it in a paper that didn't vilify us for canning the inept Ince.

Maybe nicko can shed some light on it?!

I also believe the story to be true, over a week old news but true.Turning down the first offer in a contract negotiation is not uncommon. Unfortunately it coming out in the media is unwelcome as it creates bad feelings on messageboards.

I'm honestly not as bothered by this as I would have been a few weeks ago.

It's obvious that his injury problems aren't going to get any better, we can't afford to be disrupting our side by putting him in one week and out the next. If he's holding us to ransom then sod him, use the wages on someone who can stay fit.

I've heard (rumor) he sees himself as the top earner, can you confirm that is the issue.

If the story is true then :

1 - Seems to be timed to hurt Allardyce

and/or

2 - Allows him to put a "for rent" sign up early in the hope of takers

and or

3 - He really faers we are not long for the premiership and does not want championship football (bit too brutal for him)

and/or

4 - He is angling to be paid more and for a longer contract than has been offered

But if its not true then it still highlights the fact that we have not yet got the only decent creative player in the squad tied up!

At this rate we'll have no choice but to rely on youth next season whatever league we are in.

There are no direct quotes from Dunn in that article, it's hardly an article at all. Give him a break over "timing". If I was him, I would be privately be expressing concerns about the direction of the team as well. It's not like he's gone straight to the press and started whinging.

And if he's been offered a less than optimal deal from his point of view he's perfectly within his rights to turn it down.

In todays LET:

* Rovers remain confident of agreeing a new contract with David Dunn after denying reports that the midfielder had rejected a deal.

Talks have been taking place for some time but the 30-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, is keen to remain with his hometown club.

“It has all been very positive,” said chairman John Williams.

“Both parties want the deal to happen and negotiations are still ongoing.”

Id be shocked if Dunny left by his choice

Why? It's not like he hasn't done it before is it?

?????????????????????? sorry I could not think who you were refering too.

I cannot blame Dunn. Like us all he must be tearing his hair out at the lack of ambition at Rovers. Was that also not Sams reason for leaving Bolton?

Congratulations Pafell. You managed the almost impossible feat of mentioning ambition nad David Dunn in the same sentence.

Spot on - I'd say the Daily Mail is the worst of any of the papers for getting it's facts right.

Not unexpected by me thats for sure. As a free agent Dunn can demand a hefty windfall in terms of signing on fee and matching similar wages to those he's on. I'd imagine that his agent is angling for the windfall to come from BRFC and we are resisting. But consider his injury record and then try to imagine how many matches he will figure in in the final 3 seasons of his career? Frightening thought if it were my money.

In todays LET:

* Rovers remain confident of agreeing a new contract with David Dunn after denying reports that the midfielder had rejected a deal.

Talks have been taking place for some time but the 30-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, is keen to remain with his hometown club.

“It has all been very positive,” said chairman John Williams.

“Both parties want the deal to happen and negotiations are still ongoing.”

Hope thats true!

Why? It's not like he hasn't done it before is it?

He hates Souness... Not so sure thats the case with Sam

He'd have been better using him as an example. I guess his superb ability but lack of desire and determination must have frustrated GS massively.

I'm sure that GS apparently swaggering around, bullying folk and acting like a complete nut-job must have frustrated a lot of the players? That wouldn't have been a great example, really.

Although I do acknowledge your point with a view to wasted talent, as well.

Archived