BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Non- Rovers Atmosphere

Just been watching the NFL Championship game highlights. The Superdome looked absolutely amazing, and the noise at the end sounded unbelievable!

So, other than specific rovers games that I'm sure have been covered elsewhere on the forum, what sporting occasion/ arena/ fans have given you the neck shivers?

Mine are:

Texas Aggies beating Texas Longhorns at Kyle Field in the "Lonestar Showdown" - A single stand of 30,000 swaying in unison, could feel the whole structure move.

kyle.jpg

Olympic Baseball Stadium - Seoul, Korea. The orchestrasion of the crowds in Asia is frightening! Oh and the cheerleaders aint half bad either!

610x.jpg

Springsteen in Glasgow July 2009 was incredible, the man had 50-60,000 in the palm of his hand..........another I remember, and this is a bit on the strange side, was Sutherland Brothers and Quiver at York Uni probably around 1973. The Steve Gibbons Band at Pershore College SU probably '71, awesome rock band in the college dining room!!!!!!! Nights that just worked I suppose.

Went to watch U2 at Roundhay Park, Leeds in 1997. One of those 'cigarette lighter' moments.

The band had gone off after the first encore and the whole crowd (just shy of 54k) sang the refrain from '40':

# How long... to sing this song...? # - over and over until the band came back out again.

The atmosphere was absolutely electric.

Monsters of Rock @ castle Donington in the mid 80s.

An estimated 120,000 people in a field only supposed to have room for 80,000.

Iron Maiden were headlining & a new group called Guns n Roses were the 2nd band on in the afternoon.

2 people got crushed to death during the Roses set & had to be lifted over the top of the crowd to the stage.

By the time Maiden were due to come on, the crowd surges were getting a bit silly. We were stood probably 100m back & you could lift your feet & get carried with the crowd surge. It was frightening at times.

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden singer) came on stage before the show & announced "the show will not start, until everybody moves back a few steps" He went on to say "people had been hurt at the front & everybody had to move back". Suddenly the entire crowd took two steps back in one giant movement. It was awesome to see, & the relief of the crowd pressure took effect almost immediately.

After that show, alot of crowd control messures were brought in. Large shows like that tend to have crowds split into smaller sections, so crushes are easier to control.

Monsters of Rock @ castle Donington in the mid 80s.

An estimated 120,000 people in a field only supposed to have room for 80,000.

Iron Maiden were headlining & a new group called Guns n Roses were the 2nd band on in the afternoon.

2 people got crushed to death during the Roses set & had to be lifted over the top of the crowd to the stage.

By the time Maiden were due to come on, the crowd surges were getting a bit silly. We were stood probably 100m back & you could lift your feet & get carried with the crowd surge. It was frightening at times.

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden singer) came on stage before the show & announced "the show will not start, until everybody moves back a few steps" He went on to say "people had been hurt at the front & everybody had to move back". Suddenly the entire crowd took two steps back in one giant movement. It was awesome to see, & the relief of the crowd pressure took effect almost immediately.

After that show, alot of crowd control messures were brought in. Large shows like that tend to have crowds split into smaller sections, so crushes are easier to control.

It was august 1988 and my first ever gig! Absolutely awesome we went to watch Megadeth and arrived the night before,6 of us in a clapped out ford cortina (i slept on the roof!) the boot was full of beer and a tray of pies.Highlight was Lars Ulrich coming on stage and doing `Anarchy in the uk` with Megadeth,superb stuff!

Anyway.... :blush:

Best concert atmosphere was The prodigy blowing oasis off stage at Knebworth `95,best live band i have seen by a mile.

Best football atmosphere that i would love to see would be Galatasaray v Fenerbache,i have seen clips on you tube and it looks amazing.

It was august 1988 and my first ever gig! Absolutely awesome we went to watch Megadeth and arrived the night before,6 of us in a clapped out ford cortina (i slept on the roof!) the boot was full of beer and a tray of pies.Highlight was Lars Ulrich coming on stage and doing `Anarchy in the uk` with Megadeth,superb stuff!

Anyway.... :blush:

Best concert atmosphere was The prodigy blowing oasis off stage at Knebworth `95,best live band i have seen by a mile.

Best football atmosphere that i would love to see would be Galatasaray v Fenerbache,i have seen clips on you tube and it looks amazing.

Found this on Youtube. It`s only a small clip, but it brings back fond memories

ROCK N ROLL!!! B)B)

J- League have a different atmosphere and noise.

Indeed, the atmosphere at their national games is something else too, even a little silly - when they saw off Scotland recently in a completely meaningless game the fans were singing endlessly for the full 90 minutes. Makes you wonder if they're even bothered about the game really, but it still sounds terrific.

• 1 month later...

The Smiths Edinburgh Playhouse in 1985 was brilliant.

The Rangers v Celtic that finished 4-4 was a great atmosphere.

Scotland v England @ Hampden in the mid 80's when we won 2-0 was awesome for the 5000 England fans.

I went to Old Trafford in the 90's watching England v Australia and that was a day to remember.

Same venue, semi final between Lancs and Yorks, 24000 fans as Lancs won it late into the evening.

La Rochelle 1985 when the British Navy were in town, the atmosphere as 2000 locals turned on 500 British sailors and Marines was decidedly like a riot of the 70's, good old frogs turned to their favourite colour YELLOW.

Wembley 1994 for the rugby England v Australia, a fantastic day out.

Was lucky enough to get to the 2007 Rugby World Cup final and it is pretty special to have your country in any sporting event of that importance, so the atmosphere was great even if the result was a bit of a let-down.

I grew up in Salt Lake City as a Chicago Bulls fan and so went to the two NBA Finals where the Utah Jazz played the Bulls; there is nothing quite like Mormons taking out their pent out anger and aggression at a sporting event and to be in that atmosphere and watch one of the greatest ever sportsman thrive in that environment (Michael Jordan) was really a wonderful thing.

Texas Aggies beating Texas Longhorns at Kyle Field in the "Lonestar Showdown" - A single stand of 30,000 swaying in unison, could feel the whole structure move.

kyle.jpg

That must have been awesome to see (not the result though!). I'm determined to see Texas Longhorns plays at some point.

The best atmospheres I've experienced are:

- The 2002 All Ireland Gaelic Football Final in Croke Park Dublin, where my beloved Armagh won their first and to date only All Ireland Championship, beating a star packed Kerry team.

- The All Ireland Hurling quarter-final between Cork and Waterford, in Croke Park in 2007. Watching two of the masters of the greatest game on earth, going at 100 mph, in front of 85,000 people is something to behold.

-

I'm glad to say that I was part of the floor rush at the end! The atmosphere at an American college basketball game is something else.

-

-

The atmosphere at my first Old Firm game was something else as well.

Other great atmosphere's that I've experienced include the one in Madison Square Gardens in New York and seeing my team, the Buffalo Sabres playing the New York Rangers. Thankfully the Sabres won, but the noise that went up when the Rangers scored was just fantastic. Going to see Nickelback and Oasis play at the Odyssey Arena, in Belfast. Both concerts were awesome and the noise generated from them was brilliant. Another great gig that I went to was Explosions In The Sky at the Spring & Airbrake hall in Belfast. This instrumental band from Texas are unreal and the sound that these guys make is unbelievable.

Springsteen in Glasgow July 2009 was incredible, the man had 50-60,000 in the palm of his hand..........another I remember, and this is a bit on the strange side, was Sutherland Brothers and Quiver at York Uni probably around 1973. The Steve Gibbons Band at Pershore College SU probably '71, awesome rock band in the college dining room!!!!!!! Nights that just worked I suppose.

I was at The Boss' Glasgow gig too, and that was a great one! The Twist and Shout/La Bamba cover to finish was immense!

Archived