BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, I assume we're all hoping by hook or by crook Pompey make it to the end of the season as we stand to lose out on this points-erasing consequence.

PAY UP POMPEY

According to the Beeb FIFA are looking at Pompey's request to sell players. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8522283.stm

So Pompey are selling a player even though FIFA say that they can't?

Where have you heard that?

Most media reports believe FIFA will support the move & that it might mean a player can only play for another prem club this season, not abroad!

Belhadj & James will probably be the ones sold! But how long will that carry them through until? £11m bill is due in 10 days time....then they have to continue to pay other debts & player wages!

Kills me to say it YES if Burnley stop up because Portsmouth go bust and WHam lose 4pts then so be it. WHam are another club who deserve what they get and Gold sees that happening if they go down. Thats why hes offering the £10m.

Kills me to say it YES if Burnley stop up because Portsmouth go bust and WHam lose 4pts then so be it. WHam are another club who deserve what they get and Gold sees that happening if they go down. Thats why hes offering the £10m.

Doesn't kill me to see it. 2 more derby games next season!

Although I share your enthusiasm for the derby games, I still want them to do badly overall! Seriously though Burnley deserve to stay up above teams like WHam on the basis they operate within their means, dont break league rules. Im sure I read somewhere that Gold said if West Ham went down they would be in a worse mess than Portsmouth. Which would be incredibly funny to watch.

Although I share your enthusiasm for the derby games, I still want them to do badly overall! Seriously though Burnley deserve to stay up above teams like WHam on the basis they operate within their means, dont break league rules. Im sure I read somewhere that Gold said if West Ham went down they would be in a worse mess than Portsmouth. Which would be incredibly funny to watch.

They deserve it. And they're claret and blue too ;)

If Pompey are able to sell players to other clubs in the premier league then it could have a major impact on the title chase, European qualification and even relegation. If they sell a player to a club and this player scores a winning goal that decides the fate of other clubs then watch the uproar and legal challenges fly in.

This could be solved by allowing all Premiership clubs being able to buy/sell until the first of March. Doubt FIFA would allow that to happen as it seems too logical and involves common sense.

You forget one tiny detail. The rest of the world. ;)

The rest of the world would still have the window closed. English clubs would only be able to buy/sell to English clubs and be available for English competitions therefore not affecting any other competitions integraties, this would eliminate the fairness questions raised and restrict activity to one location.

For the record the transfer window should be scrapped, not only does it make Sky Sports News less fun to watch it makes Football Manager not as fun :(

aren't fifa saying pompey can only sell to other premiership clubs. See Laws is seething at the proposal

Nothing has been announced yet

The rest of the world would still have the window closed. English clubs would only be able to buy/sell to English clubs and be available for English competitions therefore not affecting any other competitions integraties, this would eliminate the fairness questions raised and restrict activity to one location.

For the record the transfer window should be scrapped, not only does it make Sky Sports News less fun to watch it makes Football Manager not as fun :(

Ah, yes. That I'd be fine with :tu: If you don't like FM transfer windows, try galacticos football on Facebook. Strangely addictive even though it's crap.

And of course, even the advance parachute (of £11m) and transfer sales will only make a small dent in the £60m debt in total. By fighting and causing Court appointed accountants to look at their state of affairs, Pompey have effectively put all £60m into play now, not just the £12m or so HMRC are chasing.

They aren't really fighting are they. I mean it's not a choice they have made since the HMRC "came a knockin'", in the sense they have decided to use £12m they have on something other than paying HMRC. They don't have *any* cash.

Choices, well really gambles (especially when it comes to the PAYE scenario) they have made earlier made all this a fait accompli.

surely pompey would use the parachute payment to pay of the tax man and then probably go into administration. The club is a basket case which will be in admin at the least sooner or later.

I read earlier FIFA had given the go ahead but the transfers can only be to premiership clubs

So Pompey are selling a player even though FIFA say that they can't?

Pompey can sell players right now.

But FIFA will decide whether the buying clubs can actually play them right now.

It's history in the making.

Nicko is your mate Owen snooping for any Pompey players? With Cahill injured i know a few of my Bolton mates would be happy to see Tal Ben Haim return. As Bolton can't hit a barn door a striker would probably benefit them as well.

No interest in any Pompey players as far as I know.

Nicko are any of the local clubs in for players?

Is Big Sam back for Dindane?

Is Coyle in for a defender or striker?

Are there any kids available who would fit Burnley's wage bill?

Didn't notice your earlier reply sorry

Nicko is Coyle still happy with his switch to Bolton? I noticed their fans were giving grief to Matt Taylor. They are hardly a forgiving bunch over there

If pompey are allowed to sell outside of the window, it would be very unfair, They would have a Monopoly on the market... and teams bidding for the players would end up paying more than if they were sold in the window. The players shouldn't be allowed to transfer to another prem team because you can cause a team to wrongfully go down because of that. I also don't think the players should be allowed to go to different teams around the world as that just exports the unfair transfer to other leagues. The League needs to front pompey its parachute or tv funds or whatever in order to keep them alive and finish the season then allow Pompey to go out of business during the off season.

The West Ham money can surely only be because there is a sniff of a business opportunity.

Losing 4 points is largely immaterial when most other club will be losing 3. And if they do survive, teams around them could end up with 6 points from Pompey's youth team.

Plus the points total to stay up could be as low as 34 points for a 36-fixture division. Give or take.

Archived