BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already, I have been led to believe that if Pompey do get a winding up order then all the points that teams have got against them this season will be wiped off. This would reduce our points tally by three points and put our local neighbours only two points behind with a game in hand. It could also affect other clubs around us who have not got points against Pomey either. It seems a bit unfair that we would have points taken off us that we fully deserved (based on the second half)to get.

Anyone any ideas on if this is the case.

Hopefully if it is true they last the season then we don't get penalised for their poor money management.

It is harsh on the fans, but I'm sure that they probably weren't too fussed when the millions were brought into the club, gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Would also mean that teams who have played and beaten them twice lose 6 points so could mean a big shake up in the table.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already, I have been led to believe that if Pompey do get a winding up order then all the points that teams have got against them this season will be wiped off. This would reduce our points tally by three points and put our local neighbours only two points behind with a game in hand. It could also affect other clubs around us who have not got points against Pomey either. It seems a bit unfair that we would have points taken off us that we fully deserved (based on the second half)to get.

I posted the table as it would stand without Portsmouth yesterday above on the bottom of page 5). It obviously needs updating with last night's results. It would tighten up the bottom of the table a bit as most of Portsmouth's points have come from teams around them - Wolves would the big gainers but it wouldn't change our position in the league ans would mean that 31 points is that much closer to safety in a 36 game season.

I've just posted a link on the "Sam Jan targets thread" about them wanting to sign Nonda as a free agent. The question is how come a company that was described as being 'insolvent' a few days ago can sign new players, even ones that are free agents. How are they supposed to more out in wages when they can't pay players they've already got on time!

Once again its the loyal fans you have to feel for,its a circus.How would we feel in this was our club?

Thing is, as with Leeds fans and others over the years, they weren't questioning where the money was coming from when they were winning and bringing in good players who most of us would have wondered "Why is he coming to my club." Let's face it; their ground is rubbish and they don't have that many fans so why, other than big cash incentives, would players be going there. The fans didn't care then; they just wanted to enjoy the good times. It's only now that they appear to have woken u to the fact that somehow all that has to be paid for. I don't feel sorry for the fans. They wanted success; they got it, only now they realise that there is no such thing as a free lunch and everything comes at a price. Harsh I know but I would hope that our club has more sense than to pull back from spending more than we can reasonably expect to - oh, hang on - that's what we are doing but everyone wonders why we don't spend money we haven't got and won't have.

Interesting statement on the Pompey site:

The total outstanding on the petition in December was £11.5m.

This includes £5.8m of disputed VAT, £1.1m of undisputed VAT and £4.6m due on PAYE and NIC.

In relation to the PAYE and NIC, £4.5m has subsequently been paid, leaving £7m outstanding. However, the total amount of VAT included which is subject to a dispute is £7.4m (of which £5.8m has been petitioned for).

Therefore we contest that there is no payment due.

If a company is deducting PAYE from their staff and not passing these payments on to the HMRC, using the cash for other purposes, someone needs to be in a place of penal correction as far as i'm concerned. Whether it's Portsmouth, another club or any business.

Thing is, as with Leeds fans and others over the years, they weren't questioning where the money was coming from when they were winning and bringing in good players who most of us would have wondered "Why is he coming to my club." Let's face it; their ground is rubbish and they don't have that many fans so why, other than big cash incentives, would players be going there. The fans didn't care then; they just wanted to enjoy the good times. It's only now that they appear to have woken u to the fact that somehow all that has to be paid for. I don't feel sorry for the fans. They wanted success; they got it, only now they realise that there is no such thing as a free lunch and everything comes at a price. Harsh I know but I would hope that our club has more sense than to pull back from spending more than we can reasonably expect to - oh, hang on - that's what we are doing but everyone wonders why we don't spend money we haven't got and won't have.

Suucinct and very accurate assesment there

If a company is deducting PAYE from their staff and not passing these payments on to the HMRC, using the cash for other purposes, someone needs to be in a place of penal correction as far as i'm concerned. Whether it's Portsmouth, another club or any business.

Spot on. Portsmouth football club is probably trading while insolvent, which is a criminal offence. They are gaining an unfair advantage by using your money and mine to pay their bills. If the club is wound up I won't dance on its grave but I won't lose a moments sleep. Football is a business, or so I'm told, play by the rules, break them and suffer the consequences. If the support want big money signings, owners who gamble on the future that's OK just don't moan about the consequences.

Bad day at school, Mrs Gumboots?

No, good day actually as it was the last before the holidays. I just don't get the bleeding hearts thing for a club that is dodgy if not actually criminal and whilst it's hard on their fans it's hard on lots of other clubs' fans that nobody seems to have cared about them either. It's not me wishing ill on any football fan, but wishing for justice for others who have been done out of cash by Portsmouth fc. What about the companies owed money and you and me paying for their spending excesses. It needs sorting out and the fans' feelings can't really come into it. That was apparently one of the things considered in the Tevez and Mashcerano at West Ham thing and we were all up in arms at that judgement. It's a football club yes, but it's supposed to be a business and as such is subject to rules and regulations which, if breached, bring punishments. Yes, I'd be heartbroken if it were Rovers in this state, but we'd deserve it as a club, if not as fans, and I'd expect nothing less.

I've just posted a link on the "Sam Jan targets thread" about them wanting to sign Nonda as a free agent. The question is how come a company that was described as being 'insolvent' a few days ago can sign new players, even ones that are free agents. How are they supposed to more out in wages when they can't pay players they've already got on time!

If Nonda even agrees to the transfer. Nobody in their right mind would to go a club / business when there is uncertainty with regards to getting paid.

If Nonda insists on being paid upfront, why not go to Pompey? That is the only way to do business with them now.

The PL management are putting Pompey's request for their relegation parachute payment being paid up front early to the other 19 clubs. They would want to know that giving Pompey that cash now actually would avoid Pompey going bust before 30 June and there has to be serious doubt about that. Then would the clubs in the bottom half of the table actually vote for something that could revivify Pompey and send themselves down?

Tricky one that...

Chester suspended

If Nonda insists on being paid upfront, why not go to Pompey? That is the only way to do business with them now.

The PL management are putting Pompey's request for their relegation parachute payment being paid up front early to the other 19 clubs. They would want to know that giving Pompey that cash now actually would avoid Pompey going bust before 30 June and there has to be serious doubt about that. Then would the clubs in the bottom half of the table actually vote for something that could revivify Pompey and send themselves down?

Tricky one that...

Chester suspended

The other clubs should allow the parachute payment but with Portsmouth taking a points deduction. Its like a slap in the face of all the other clubs who have lived within their means and are well run that they could go with their hands out to the PL when they mess up and expect no backlash.

ps i read their complaining about the VAT on the basis that the buyer should not be paying it. I guess the rest of us were stupid for not thinking of that.

Tricky one that...

Chester suspended

This gets more daft by the moment. Give them the money that is designed to support a relegated club in the Championship while still in the PL. Pompey are truely desperate. Let them sink.

It's a football club yes, but it's supposed to be a business and as such is subject to rules and regulations which, if breached, bring punishments. Yes, I'd be heartbroken if it were Rovers in this state, but we'd deserve it as a club, if not as fans, and I'd expect nothing less.

What could supporters have done to stop this? Protests seem to fall on deaf ears when the club is winning just look at United. If you stop buying tickets in order to boycott the club you are just making things worse. In my opinion all the supporters can do is in the event that the club disappears, create Pompey FC in the same vain as FC United and AFC Wimbledon.

What could supporters have done to stop this? Protests seem to fall on deaf ears when the club is winning just look at United. If you stop buying tickets in order to boycott the club you are just making things worse. In my opinion all the supporters can do is in the event that the club disappears, create Pompey FC in the same vain as FC United and AFC Wimbledon.

I didn't suggest they could do anything about it but just because they couldn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't punish the club. In any other business nobody considers anything but the fact that they have no money and are continuing to spend as though they have. Customers etc don't come into the equation. Football clubs are businesses first and foremost nowadays and you simply cannot take the fans' feelings etc into consideration. It's hard on them and as you say there is little they can do about it or could at any point have done about it, but that doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be expected to stay within the law.

Imagine if Hughes had got Diarra instead of Redknapp. Where would we be now?

Exactly- instead Pompey were on a money no object binge with money they didn't have.

I hate to say this but at the very least I want to see Pompey get relegated this season. They and West Ham are responsible for wrecking the PL as a spectacle for the fans of at least 14 out of the 20 clubs in the PL by their utterly irresponsible behaviours some three years ago.

Instead of PL clubs strengthening their business models and continuing to keep wages under control, those two clubs made sure the Sky windfall got totally wasted on players and agents, illegally in the case of West Ham as the PL fine and Sheff U compensation prove.

If Nonda even agrees to the transfer. Nobody in their right mind would to go a club / business when there is uncertainty with regards to getting paid.

Is it just at all possible that nobody wanted an 33 year old with an 80 year old knee? I don't just cos I can sing a little ditty thats for sure.

Nice of Setanta Ireland to start their coverage of the Southampton v Pompey game just as the Saints get the leveler.

Pompey have just gone ahead again through that "useless" Dindane :glare:

This could yet turn out to be the most pointless game ever as Southampton could still end up in the next round even if they lose!

...oh dear, :lol:

I didn't suggest they could do anything about it but just because they couldn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't punish the club. In any other business nobody considers anything but the fact that they have no money and are continuing to spend as though they have. Customers etc don't come into the equation. Football clubs are businesses first and foremost nowadays and you simply cannot take the fans' feelings etc into consideration. It's hard on them and as you say there is little they can do about it or could at any point have done about it, but that doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be expected to stay within the law.

I agree that you cannot save a club simply for the fans, I just took issue because it seemed you were putting some of the blame on the Pompey Fans and I didn't think that was fair.

20 million quid in the trusts bank

Exactly right. Hey..... We could add that to the list of biggest all time gaffes of the Prem Division. It'd be right up there in second place, but absolutely miles behind sticking with the team that won the Prem and missing out on Zidane and Dugarry for a paltry 9m that would have turned into £50m+ within 12/18 months. :(

Archived