BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

Is anyone else unhappy with this talk of rescue packages. Portsmouth have already enjoyed, and are no asking for an even greater, unfair advantage of the rest of the PL's lower teams. Let them burn.

I'm very unhappy that the only apparent way to get them out of a hole they have dug themselves into seems to be by bending just about every rule that the rest of the clubs appear by and large to adhere to. They should have gone into administration, acccepted the offers for most of their players in Jan accepted the 9 point deduction and just gone down. That way they might have saved something for their fans who everyone says don't deserve what's happening, even if it was only a bit of belated respect for their club. But no they chose to fight on hoping that someone would work it out for them and meeaing that there's probably nothing left for them now.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This idea and/or the early parachute payment would need 14 PL clubs to vote for it and it is not hard to find seven clubs whose self-interest would be served by Pompey being docked ten points.

unfair advantage of the rest of the PL's lower teams. Let them burn.

Hopefully the point above will stop them getting any help....however if they do go bust, we lose 3 points!

Gumboots is correct in my view.

Pompey's management has been utterly irresponsible in the way they have handled this crisis, never mind what went before. The fact that their then Chairman/owner, CEO and Manager are up in Court on tax evasion charges is symptomatic of a culture down there which has lasted through several regimes and been financed/masked by the PL lucre.

Re Paul's point, the PL clubs haven't voted for anything for Pompey yet but it is fair to say the other clubs and the PL management are heartily sick of the Pompey circus. If they could just teleport Pompey straight into the Championship right now, there would be a 19-1 vote in favour by all accounts.

The nico article Hughesy is referring to.

This is getting into pigs might fly territory- as Nico puts his finger on the situation:

Only Wilson, Belhadj and Boateng are saleable but even if the PL allow a dispensation and they are sold for cash now, they could not play for another club under UEFA rules and Belhadj and Boateng would be massively unhappy with that as there is a World Cup coming up.

This idea and/or the early parachute payment would need 14 PL clubs to vote for it and it is not hard to find seven clubs whose self-interest would be served by Pompey being docked ten points.

All Pompey's other players are too old and too highly paid to attract any interest in the transfer market.

That latter point could be a killer if the Court is deciding between administration and a winding up order on 1 March which would seem likely to be the case. As an outsider, I have to say that the way Pompey's management have handled this situation has been recklessly risky- they should have made the sales they needed to make in the January window and in the case of Belhadj and Boateng done pre-contract sale agreements in December ahead of the ACN.

It would appear that even if the PL approves sales now, sale and loan back deals are the only option for Belhadj and Boateng which because of the risk of injury etc before they joined new clubs and the fact that potential PL club buyers do not yet know the size of their transfer kitties means they will go for a massive discount to their potential market value not helping Pompey stave off collapse anyway.

There might be a bit of an opportunity here for Rovers in the unlikely event Pompey get dispensation to sell.

I heard there was also confusion over Dindane, is it a loan or a permanent signing? If it is a loan then cancelling the loan would save a bit. The fact he is scoring goals and in form he would be good for Rovers.

The parachute payment this in my view stinks. It appears they are banking on this payment. If so they are prepared to allow themselves to be relegated. So for the rest of the matches, they don't need to try to win. May as well just give all the teams still to play Pompey the 3 points.

Pomey going out of business now would mean other clubs having points deducted. So the reverse should happen, give pompey the parachute payments and the other clubs who have to still pay pompey, the 3 points. If the premiership allow an advance of the parachute payments, the rest of Pompey's fixtures for this season are pointless. They would not be able to play to try to avoid relegation as they would then have to give back the parachute payment - which they cannot do. What a farce either way and an embarrassment to the premiership and football in this country. Ironically a manager etc can get a fine for bringing the game into disrepute - pompey have been doing it all season.

Looking at that list of 'stars' they really do need to go down, and just start again! They have no assets and they are in massive debts!

It will be worse than going down and starting again. It's ceasing to exist with every asset seazed and sold to repay the creditors.

Hampshire Utd / Solent Mariners is moving ever nearer. :closedeyes:

however if they do go bust, we lose 3 points!

I don't think we will be much worse off though. Not many teams have lost to Pompey have they?

I heard there was also confusion over Dindane, is it a loan or a permanent signing? If it is a loan then cancelling the loan would save a bit.

It is a loan deal that when he had played a certain amount of games they had to sign him for £4m. They went past the games total and then told Lens that they couldn't afford the transfer fee so wouldn't be paying it. At which point Lens tried to get him elsewhere on the same terms, but nobody would take him with the transfer condition.

I would think if Pompey cancelled the loan then Lens would sue them, but they may as well everyone else is.

Is anyone else unhappy with this talk of rescue packages. Portsmouth have already enjoyed, and are no asking for an even greater, unfair advantage of the rest of the PL's lower teams. Let them burn.

A mercy killing would be in order. It resembles the drawn out cruelty of a bull fight with the same air of inevitability.

I'm very unhappy that the only apparent way to get them out of a hole they have dug themselves into seems to be by bending just about every rule that the rest of the clubs appear by and large to adhere to. They should have gone into administration, acccepted the offers for most of their players in Jan accepted the 9 point deduction and just gone down. That way they might have saved something for their fans who everyone says don't deserve what's happening, even if it was only a bit of belated respect for their club. But no they chose to fight on hoping that someone would work it out for them and meeaing that there's probably nothing left for them now.

Why shouldn't they expect the rules to be bent? A precedent was set when the Prem bent every rule in the book to help WHU in recent years.

I heard there was also confusion over Dindane, is it a loan or a permanent signing? If it is a loan then cancelling the loan would save a bit. The fact he is scoring goals and in form he would be good for Rovers.The parachute payment this in my view stinks. It appears they are banking on this payment. If so they are prepared to allow themselves to be relegated. So for the rest of the matches, they don't need to try to win. May as well just give all the teams still to play Pompey the 3 points.Pomey going out of business now would mean other clubs having points deducted. So the reverse should happen, give pompey the parachute payments and the other clubs who have to still pay pompey, the 3 points. If the premiership allow an advance of the parachute payments, the rest of Pompey's fixtures for this season are pointless. They would not be able to play to try to avoid relegation as they would then have to give back the parachute payment - which they cannot do. What a farce either way and an embarrassment to the premiership and football in this country. Ironically a manager etc can get a fine for bringing the game into disrepute - pompey have been doing it all season.

I think you've misunderstood the parachute payment. That amount is less than they would get for staying in the league. It would still be financially better to stay in the Prem than to go down.

Why shouldn't they expect the rules to be bent? A precedent was set when the Prem bent every rule in the book to help WHU in recent years.

Wasn't happy about that either Gordon. In fact was fuming about it. Point is so were most of us and it must have been obvious that it couldn't or most likely wouldn't ever be pushed through again

Wasn't happy about that either Gordon. In fact was fuming about it. Point is so were most of us and it must have been obvious that it couldn't or most likely wouldn't ever be pushed through again

Once weak management allows rules to be broken then preecedents are set. Arsenal being given special dispensation in signing Arshavin a day late in last years transfer window has directly led to similar shennangins this season.

I think you've misunderstood the parachute payment. That amount is less than they would get for staying in the league. It would still be financially better to stay in the Prem than to go down.

So, in effect Pompey are asking the PL for a loan against either the parachute payment or next season's PL money?

I think 'advance' would be a better term. It's not a loan since they'd never be required to pay it back.

Yeah, advance.

What happens if they get their advance, then go into administration? Could they guarantee that wouldn't happen. Also, how do they continue next season, having paid off their debts - but with no TV money?

Yeah, advance.

What happens if they get their advance, then go into administration? Could they guarantee that wouldn't happen. Also, how do they continue next season, having paid off their debts - but with no TV money?

Quite right. Eventually the debts catch up with you unless you are very lucky like City and for some inexplicable reason find a mega rich sugar daddy.

I don't want to see any football club go out of business but if as discussed they where to recieve their parachute payment early and a 10pt deduction I would argue that the 10pt deduction and certain relegation is not enough. No Premier League club should be in a position to start looking for handouts and after what happened with Leeds you would have hoped lessons would have been learnt. Perhaps the FA should look at getting involved along with the Football League and set a precedent that will ensure that this NEVER happens again and maybe relegate Portsmouth down the league ladder even further as a warning to other clubs willing to operate outside their means.

Quite right. Eventually the debts catch up with you unless you are very lucky like City and for some inexplicable reason find a mega rich sugar daddy.

Have they not had one ofthese already? :rolleyes:

I don't think we will be much worse off though. Not many teams have lost to Pompey have they?

Biggest affect at the bottom would be on West Ham :lol: & it would also damage Fulham...

Birmingham would lose 3 pts

Everton would lose 3 pts

Fulham would lose 6 pts (Would be level with us)

Rovers would lose 3pts

Stoke would lose 3 pts (+ play them this weekend)

Sunderland would lose 1 pt

Wigan would lose 0

Wolves would lose 0

Hull would lose 1 pt

Burnley would lose 0

West Ham would lose 4 pts (biggest drop, 4 places)

Bolton would lose 3 pts

At the top - Big benefit to Chelsea & Liverpool..... City, United & Arsenal would all lose 6pts, Chelsea, Villa & Spurs only 3, Liverpool wouldnt lose anything.....

Once weak management allows rules to be broken then preecedents are set. Arsenal being given special dispensation in signing Arshavin a day late in last years transfer window has directly led to similar shennangins this season.

Benjani twice signed or was loaned to another club after the transfer deadline had past.

So I've read that Pompey want special dispensation to sell their players outside the transfer window? What a joke! They've dug themselves into this hole and should face the music if they can't pay up.

This may open the door to debate the whole transfer system. Cancel the windows and go back to how it used to be - transfers anytime.

Biggest affect at the bottom would be on West Ham :lol: & it would also damage Fulham...

Birmingham would lose 3 pts

Everton would lose 3 pts

Fulham would lose 6 pts (Would be level with us)

Rovers would lose 3pts

Stoke would lose 3 pts (+ play them this weekend)

Sunderland would lose 1 pt

Wigan would lose 0

Wolves would lose 0

Hull would lose 1 pt

Burnley would lose 0

West Ham would lose 4 pts (biggest drop, 4 places)

Bolton would lose 3 pts

At the top - Big benefit to Chelsea & Liverpool..... City, United & Arsenal would all lose 6pts, Chelsea, Villa & Spurs only 3, Liverpool wouldnt lose anything.....

You have to factor in the games played to make sense of this. For instance Fulham would be level with us but they would have a game in hand on us as well.

Archived