BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Radio Lancashire - Team Of The Decade

On Monday 7 June 2010 between 6 and 7, BBC Radio Lancashire are doing a programme picking the best 11 players from the last 10 years at Rovers.

Andy Bayes is hosting it with two studio guests.

Your suggestions on here will be read out on the programme, so if you want your best 11 mentioned leave your thoughts below. If not just have a go anyway.

For me it would be

Brad

Warnock

Samba

Nelsen

Neill

Duff

Dunn

Tugay

Bentley

Bellamy

Jansen

It would have to include Brad, Duff, Dunn, Nelsen, Bentley, Jansen, Bellamy. Roque is good enough but wouldn't displace those two forwards. Samba v Hendry is a tough one if we are talking post 2000.

Hendry left in '98.

My selection

Brad

Warnock

Samba

Nelsen

Neill

Duff

Dunn

Tugay

Bentley

Santa Cruz

Jansen

I'll go with that but it's a shame to leave out Bellamy, Andy Cole, Henning Berg and Sparky!

Friedel

Neill

Nelsen

Samba

Warnock

Bentley

Tugay

Savage

Duff

Jansen

Santa Cruz

Dunny probably will be named in the Team of the decade and rightly so but i personally think this midfield has the best balance. Sav being the irritating nuisance to the opposition, breaking up play and giving the ball to Tugay to distribute it. Bentley and Duffer on the wings, whipping crosses into Jansen and Santa Cruz.

I wish we had a midfield four like that in their prime and with those qualities now :(

Granted I didn't put Benni in myself but I'm surprised he didnt get more of a shout. He was brilliant in his first season and even up until the last few months was still putting the ball in the net albeit not as often and could turn games at the drop of a hat.

Pretty much everyone's team costs well under £20m by the way. That, together with our league record (and one cup success) sums up our decade perfectly.

It has to be a 4-4-2 as that is what we have played for the majority of the decade..

Friedel

Neill Nelsen Samba Warnock

Bentley Tugay Dunn Duff

Jansen Bellamy

Subs

Berg

Curtis

Savage

Flitcroft

McCarthy

Santa Cruz

Cole

Friedel

Emerton Samba Short Warnock

Bentley Tugay Dunn Duff

Jansen Bellamy

The only one I struggled with really there was Bellamy, I'm finding it hard to justify having him there based on one season at the club. I decided to include him because Roque wasn't very good in his second year, and McCarthy took the p-ss after the first year. Bellamy's was the best single season by any player over the past decade, for me anyway.

Friedel

Neill

Berg

Samba

Warnock

Bentley

Tugay

Savage

Duff

Jansen

Bellamy

Subs:

Santa Cruz

Benni

Dunn

Short

Robinson

Cole

Flitcroft

You got a mention. They said someone has named about 8 subs, even though you only named 7 ;)

EDIT:

Team so far,

Friedel

Neill Berg Nelsen Warnock

The only one I struggled with really there was Bellamy, I'm finding it hard to justify having him there based on one season at the club. I decided to include him because Roque wasn't very good in his second year, and McCarthy took the p-ss after the first year. Bellamy's was the best single season by any player over the past decade, for me anyway.

I picked Santa Cruz because not only was 20+ goals in his first season a great achievement, but partnered with Jansen they would be unstoppable.

Does anyone know the full team? I listened to half of it but went out to the gym, so I missed the second part. I got up to,

Friedel

Neill Berg Nelsen Warnock

Bentley ---------------------Duff

:tu: Really pleased for Nelsen, sadly it made me realise (yes, everyone's been trying to tell me) he isn't as good as he used to be but he's still one of my favourite Rovers' players.

Archived