BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Robbie Savage:The Autobiography

Anyone read this yet? Bought it today and found it a great read thus far. Lots of insight into Sparky and how good it was to play for the club during his time.

He also says how Bellamy used to criticise Pedersen, and says it badly affected him.

I'd recommend it, but at 17.99 from WHSmith it was a bit pricy <_<

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Bellers berating Pedersen in every match especially cause Pedersen was always the link up man with him when he drifted wide. He must hate him! :P

Anything else?

Not many Rovers revelations. He describes leaving Rovers, as he and Sparky agreed it wouldn't be right for him to not be the 'star' and be playing every match - sounded very professional how it happened.

Said Pedersen was the nicest man he knows, and also spoke fondly of Ooijer. He also praised John Williams.

He talked about his friendship with Kuqi, although Sav pretty much said he was cr@p. Mentioned bits of banter with Dunny and Bentley, including a prank on the latter with Sav ringing up pretending to be Sven saying he was in the England squad!

He described the Carling Cup semi tunnel incident with Rio... said he kicked Rio up his arse, Rio hit him and then someone else hit him. Todd had a word with Rio who left it from there (as you would :P )

Not much else to be honest. Been an enjoyable read, been reading it for hours and pretty much finished it. Lots of insight into an undoubtedly great character. His self confidence shines through throughout.

Not many Rovers revelations. He describes leaving Rovers, as he and Sparky agreed it wouldn't be right for him to not be the 'star' and be playing every match - sounded very professional how it happened.

Said Pedersen was the nicest man he knows, and also spoke fondly of Ooijer. He also praised John Williams.

He talked about his friendship with Kuqi, although Sav pretty much said he was cr@p. Mentioned bits of banter with Dunny and Bentley, including a prank on the latter with Sav ringing up pretending to be Sven saying he was in the England squad!

He described the Carling Cup semi tunnel incident with Rio... said he kicked Rio up his arse, Rio hit him and then someone else hit him. Todd had a word with Rio who left it from there (as you would :P )

Not much else to be honest. Been an enjoyable read, been reading it for hours and pretty much finished it. Lots of insight into an undoubtedly great character. His self confidence shines through throughout.

Sounds like a very good read; I will be getting a copy of that one. Sav was definitely a true Rover although he was not here for very long. You get the impression that he really had some feeling for the club, and a great raport with the fans. He will always be remembered as one of Rovers great characters, and a very useful player too. I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Ewood in some capacity when he retires from playing. Perhaps as a coach?

Footballing ability aside, some people just have a certain charisma or aura about them that lifts everyone around them.

I would certainly put Savage in that bracket, plus I thought he was superb at putting the opposition off their game and on the back foot even though I thought his absolute peak was at Leicester.

He also says how Bellamy used to criticise Pedersen, and says it badly affected him.

McCarthy was another player who was always berating Pedersen and his departure for West Ham probably explains the revival in Pedersen's form since then. Pedersen should have thumped both Bellamy and McCarthy to shut them up but is too nice a fellow. Thankfully both have gone and Pedersen has remained to become a lynchpin of the team.

McCarthy was another player who was always berating Pedersen and his departure for West Ham probably explains the revival in Pedersen's form since then. Pedersen should have thumped both Bellamy and McCarthy to shut them up but is too nice a fellow. Thankfully both have gone and Pedersen has remained to become a lynchpin of the team.

So Pedersen's down turn in form was the result of bullying?

If true, I feel a bit bad for MGP. On the other hand:

1. He's a professional athlete. Isn't dealing with bullies, mentally or physically, part of the skill set?

2. He's surrounded by fellow teammates, also professional athletes. If MGP lacks the ability, wouldn't one or more of then step up, especially if it was effecting the Rovers' scoreline?

3. The Rovers have professional managers. If MGP's decline was the result of bullying, wouldn't they nip it at the bud, especially if it was effecting scorelines?

4. MGP is a Scandinavian, descended from vikings. In the 6 seasons he's been with the Rovers, allegedly the subject of constant bullying, I would think (and hope) he'd eventually blow his top and crack some heads.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts, motivated by my disbelief. If true, on the other hand, then Sam has discovered a problem, will doubtless maintain vigilance to prevent a re-occurence (perhaps hire a retired school master to keep the "kids" in line), and MGP should have a remarkably good season this year.

Footballing ability aside, some people just have a certain charisma or aura about them that lifts everyone around them.

I would certainly put Savage in that bracket, plus I thought he was superb at putting the opposition off their game and on the back foot even though I thought his absolute peak was at Leicester.

Totally agree Revidge, he was infectious, and his workrate was something I've never seen before (Or will again, at least in a Rovers shirt) he had some engine, I don't believe he ever thought he was especially talented, he knew his strengths and played to them, he also added set pieces to his bow by practising, a lot!

It's good to hear him on the radio, he's winning a lot of people over I note, everyone starts with sentence "I didn't used to like him as player but..."

If you ask supporters from Leicester, Big club and Rovers about Sav, you'll only get ever get compliments, and as a player, that's all you can ask for isn't it? After all, you're not there to be liked by the opposition are you?

It would be good to see him on the backroom staff at some point, but I reckon punditry may be too large a pull for Sav and he appears to be enjoying it.

I wouldn't call 4 half-decent games much of a revival after 3 years of sub-standard dross.

Lynchpin of the team?! Don't be ridiculous. If we are relying on him to be the main man we are going down.

I can rem plenty of wussy know nowts bemoaning his signing. :rolleyes: Fact is we should have nipped in miles before we did when he left Leicester for Brum.

:rover: just like the know all who said hughes would not make a good manager :rolleyes: savage is a crap footballer,might as well have a headless chicken in your team.but a sound bloke,had the pleasure of meeting him,and he knew his limitations :brfc:

So Pedersen's down turn in form was the result of bullying?

If true, I feel a bit bad for MGP. On the other hand:

So long as they never poked him in the eye. That's his one true weakness.

:rover: just like the know all who said hughes would not make a good manager :rolleyes: savage is a crap footballer,might as well have a headless chicken in your team.but a sound bloke,had the pleasure of meeting him,and he knew his limitations :brfc:

I'm really glad when you disagree with me about football stuff waggy. It confirms my opinions are correct. :closedeyes:

When you're as talented as Craig Bellamy and you have to put up with half hearted and weak performances from people like MGP you have a right to try to spur them on a bit.

When you're as talented as Craig Bellamy and you have to put up with half hearted and weak performances from people like MGP you have a right to try to spur them on a bit.

There are ways, though. Being nasty and berating them in public is not the way.

Whatever works Mum. They're all grown men, if MGP allows a little no necked Welshman shouting at him to affect him that much then he's an even bigger pussy than I already thought.

Nah, I definitely remember Bellamy berating players like Kuqi and Pedersen. But I rarely saw Benni to it to the degree he affected anybody, I think he was a well liked guy throughout the club.

I regularly saw Benni having a go at him.

Archived