BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rangers /Celtic

The question deserves the same old answer.

I totally agree with you , I can't understand why somebody like Gartside would have been up for the idea.As them two coming into the league could quite possibly put clubs like ours and Bolton into a difficult position .

This is resurfacing once again, no doubt, due to the absolutely appalling state of the SPL. Celtic are dreadful, Rangers are worse.

Great clubs they may be, but English football wants no part of the social detritus that surrounds Rangers and Celtic. It's not the English game's problem that the Old Firm is so dominant in Scotland.

Their current sides are @#/?, however with the massive revenue increase that joining the PL would bring, they would become powerhouses.

However, it ain't gonna happen, ever.

They would achieve Everton and Villa levels at absolute best without major investment. Newcastle are infact a good parallel, PL money for years, massive attendances and they still went down.

They should start off at the same level that AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester did.

Exactly, if they wanted it badly enough they could continue in the SPL whilst fielding either a reserve or youth team in the lower levels of English football and work their way to the championship which then they can resign their SPL status and compete for promotion(and fail) to the Premiership.

This is all complete nonsense. The only way they're coming is if all 42 Scottish clubs join The Football League en masse as perhaps the 4th & 5th divisions of the league. The Old Firm by itself will never happen no matter what deluded crap they keep feeding themselves. The idea that the 2 would be invited alone into 1 of the top 2 flights is beyond ridiculous. No Old Firm supporter I've ever met (and that's more than a few, even over here) has ever suggested that it would happen any other way than starting at the bottom of the league and trying to climb up.

I totally agree with you , I can't understand why somebody like Gartside would have been up for the idea.As them two coming into the league could quite possibly put clubs like ours and Bolton into a difficult position .

Backhander? :rock:

This is resurfacing once again, no doubt, due to the absolutely appalling state of the SPL. Celtic are dreadful, Rangers are worse.

It's surfacing cos they are so potless they are now just some minnows from a minor european league as far as UEFA and european competition is concerned. They must be desperate for revenue.

Just as an aside isn't it a condemnation that right across Europe the bigger the club and the bigger the income the more debt they are wallowing in? Irresponsible management.

This is all complete nonsense. The only way they're coming is if all 42 Scottish clubs join The Football League en masse as perhaps the 4th & 5th divisions of the league. The Old Firm by itself will never happen no matter what deluded crap they keep feeding themselves. The idea that the 2 would be invited alone into 1 of the top 2 flights is beyond ridiculous. No Old Firm supporter I've ever met (and that's more than a few, even over here) has ever suggested that it would happen any other way than starting at the bottom of the league and trying to climb up.

Would they even be able to work their way up? I mean geographically they are in Scotland so there is not a non-league admin under the FA that would be empowered to take them? So the rules would have to be bent and wouldn't that involve FIFA/UEFA?

The only reason the Welsh clubs play under the English FA is because they joined in the 19th century as the professional leagues were evolving. It would be a difficult situation for the footballing authorities to manage.

They should start off at the same level that AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester did.

And neither of those started at the bottom of the English pyramid either. Who they were, or more to the point, who they thought they were,allowed them to come in higher up the pyramid.

Just as an afterthought, there is a strange quirk to a couple of clubs. One being a Scottish league club who play in England ie Berwick Rangers, and Gretna who until recently played in the Scottish league after working their way through the English pyramid and into the Northern Premier League.

I have never understood how Welsh clubs are allowed to play in the English League and Wales stil having a vote in UEFA. In my opinion if Wales wants to remain a separate Association and retain membership of UEFA then it's clubs should play within their Welsh League system.

We don't want or need either of their scum element. I live in Glasgow, have done for 15 years, and its like turning the clock back to 1973 every weekend.

Remember the Celtic fans pissing on cars at traffic lights on Bolton Road in 2002? They won the Fair Play award that year! And just a couple of years ago we know what the other half of the Old Firm did in Manchester. The GMP must be delighted they're coming back in the Autumn........

They only care about each other anyway, so leave them to it, I say.

There's no doubting the size of these clubs. They have huge fan bases and would add something to the Premier League. I wouldn't mind seeing them playing in the Premiership, but not at the expense of teams that are already in it or the teams in the divisions below looking to get into it. If this did ever happen, then it may set a precedent for other clubs around Europe looking to move leagues. Would Benfica, FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon look to move to the La Liga? Would Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard Liège want to play in Ligue 1? Would Ajax and PSV look to play in the Bundesliga? I'm not sure if these teams have ever expressed an interest in doing so, but it's just a thought.

Would Benfica, FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon look to move to the La Liga? Would Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard Liège want to play in Ligue 1? Would Ajax and PSV look to play in the Bundesliga? I'm not sure if these teams have ever expressed an interest in doing so, but it's just a thought.

None of them are really comparable though.

Scotland and England are both ruled by the same government, we're not entirely different countries like Portugal/Spain, Belgium/France etc.

Aren't we somewhat of a special case in being allowed these separate football nations, hence the awkwardness over trying to assemble a GB team for 2012?

• 7 months later...

Archived