BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

Villar took a low blow of sorts at the media for slandering the FIFA family which is his own, and that drew an applause mid-speech. He also said it had nothing to do with this bidding process. I was disappointed with their presentation. If I had to organize the most impressive ones, then Qatar was by far the most impressive one till now including both groups, the Korean the worst. Japan improved compared to its pre-presentation odds I would say. The Dutch was very low key and almost humble. The US were decent although Clinton was disappointing.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither is South Africa but it was awarded a World Cup.

Unfortunately Fifa sees itself as an evangelical organisation that has a duty to spread the football 'word' to non-believers around the globe. Hence the award to the US in the 1990s and South Africa. Russia is the frame this time because of its emergence as a growing economic superpower.

If England don't get the WC this time - and we deserve to for a whole host of reasons - it won't happen until 2026 at the earliest, a full 60 years after 1966 and certainly long after I will have popped my clogs.

I agree it is about time we got 2018, but I have to say I quite like that FIFA try to push the WC to new territories. The US, South Africa, Japan + Korea world cups all went very well. Long may it continue. I would support Russia getting it (behind England obviously) but for the racism and corruption that is endemic over there.

It would be a shame if 2022 goes to the US or Japan/Korea as both have had the tournament so recently. Qatar is a bit daft because the country is tiny! So on balance, in my opinion, Australia is the way forward. I am a bit surprised China has not bid to be honest.

Oh and Smoss- there is absolutely no reason why England should get the WC every four or five times! We weren't even a founding member of FIFA, and the WC should not be about global celebration rather than inward cronyism.

Bobby G also hit the nail on the head with "Australia is bidding on its "sporting culture" more so than anything."

The aussies certainly know how to put on a sporting event.

However, the fact that their presentation was based on the usual tourism angle fails to mask the issue the fact that Australia is just not a football nation. There are too may other codes to compete with and "football" unfortunately comes a distant 4th after Aussie Rules, League & Union. The way the A-League is going there may not even be a domestic league by then. Don't forget as well that the World Cup, if played in Australia will be played in the Aussie winter!!

Then again with the football powerhouse of Qatar in the running how could Australia possibly have a chance? :D

Clearly i would love to have the World Cup come to these shores. 2022 should be just long enough for Scotland to develop into a quality side and maybe even progress past the group stages. I can only hope.....

Hence why we want the WC here. To challenge the other codes by developing our own.

And I'd rather be playing in an Aussie winter of 24 degrees than in 50 degree heat in Qatar ;)

Mutko very charismatic despite his not so fluent English. Russia clearly going for some "heart".

I see Spain/Portugal the big losers of the presentations for 2018. Russia probably moving up to challenge England.

Russia offering free transportation from all over the country (trains) for match ticket holders and visa free entry guarantee to all fans. That's impressive.

Clearly i would love to have the World Cup come to these shores. 2022 should be just long enough for Scotland to develop into a quality side and maybe even progress past the group stages. I can only hope.....

Some good kids coming through these days, Fleck, Bannan, Wilson, goodwillie.

Who knows by that time we could be good enough to win it on English soil?????

It has to be Russia or England based on strength of presentations in my opinion. Qatar and the US for 2022. However, we all know other factors are in play.

Putin's number two has been the only person who has spoken directly to the room instead of reading notes. Gets a plus in my eyes. English isnt his first language obviously, so its been a bit of a "hearty" speech.

Just seen the re-run of the England presentation- about as good as it could be.

Cameron is superb when he goes to talk directly without script in front of him like that. Beckham was amazingly good.

So let's see if Panorama, Sunday Times and the Brum City "fans" have screwed it up.

Actually I am very much under the impression he is one of the many. No notes, no autocue....just went for it.

He is a very good speaker. It doesn't mean everything (as Tony Blair proved) but he will rightly be given credit if we pull this off.

Beckham did very well also. He is a great ambassador for his country. I bet he never imagined he would be making a presentation to FIFA like he did. Fair play to him.

I should be hoping for "Iberia" to win it but, considering how Portugal is currently, I hope we don't.

The only good side for Portugal is that we don't have to make a big investment since the 3 stadiums we are using are already built. But, still, Portugal is in deep trouble and there are bigger concerns here right now.

England deserve it but Russia's future development and money could make a difference.

These presentations are useless. And I'm glad they are.

Deciding on this has to take some time, it has to be a well thought decision. it shouldn't be in a few minutes like some beauty contest or something.

There are several details that have to be decided and a presentation is only for outsiders, they already made their decision.

Archived