BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did South Africa have?

It's about spreading football across the globe. Money probably was involved I'm not denying that, but Qatar itself is a magnificent country. The people their are fantastic and it will be a great experience not only for myself, but for the thousands traveling.

They may not have the infrastructure, but I guarantee by the time 2022 arrives, Qatar will have the best facilities in place to host a fabulous World Cup.

South Africa is a majestic country, sure with violence and its fair share of problems, but also with scores of fascinating cities, stunning scenery, good temperatures not just to play in but for fans to relax and enjoy between games, plenty of soul and a passionate footballing crowd. Not to mention a football team that, whilst not being world beaters, at least had been able to qualify for the Cup before based on their own merits.

How you can even begin to compare Qatar with South Africa is beyond me.

There's a few parts of the world where a World Cup would never fly. The Caribbean, the South Pacific. The Middle East is one of them, however close by in North Africa there are a few countries who could potentially host successful tournaments, like Egypt, and given Qataris have the highest average GDP in the world they could easily make. I'm sure the WC will go ahead in Qatar but it will be a horrible one.

In retrospect I think the timing of the BBC report was good. It spells everything out clearly.

A few facts:

Putin didn't turn up. Why?

Qatar was described as high risk in the FIFA report yet they are now deemed the best bid. Why?

Come on BBC. Take FIFA down.

I for one am backing the BBC too.

Disgraceful corruption like FIFA shouldn't be hidden and swept under the carpet, it should be challenged.

With the programme going out just before the bid and then these results coming out, it's surely as clear as day what sorts of things have been going on.

It's FIFA we should be angry at, not the BBC.

Surely giving it to Qatar is the biggest statement yet from FIFA that the WC is about money and corporate deals.

Only 180,000 Qataris and as has been said, not short of a bob or two.

My Question to FIFA would be. How does football benefit from awarding Qatar with a WC.

i think some people are confusing wonderful countries with countries which should be holding world cups , what possible benefit will the 1m people of qatar get from hosting a football world cup ?

Fifa clearly seem set out to win new fans instead of pleasing current ones. There is no benefit of the World Cup being in Qatar. This is a global enough game as it is, why do we need to spread it any further into countries who do not have an interest??

The fans who care most about the game are rooted in Europe and South America. The best world cup of the past 10 years was held in Germany. Not South Africa or Japan/Korea. A country who cares about the game.

Im sure the stadiums will be great and the transport links will be reliable, but who will care about the Tournament in Qatar when the home team gets knocked out after three games????

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

Why did two people who voted Neth/Belg in round 1 switch to Russia when Neth/Belg were still in the running?

Punishment?

Not English, but bitterly disappointed for England. Obviously England had the best bid and had put a lot of effort into their presentation. To be knocked out from the first round with the lowest amount of votes is a complete joke. You would think it was bloody Somalia that were attempting to host the world cup... Russia have a horrendous record when it comes to racism, don't have facilities, nor the infrastructure.

If England lost out cause of the BBC allegations and reports then that is even more of a joke; if anything the media should be lauded for showing corruption in FIFA not punished for it.

South Africa's World Cup was marred by half empty stadiums and when I last visited, Russia was an awful country to travel around with poor infrastructure, awful food and an awful climate. How many fans will be going, and how many fans will be going to Qatar ? Not many I suspect. Football used to be a spectator sport but the fans seems to be the last consideration of Fifa when choosing these venues.

(FIFA aid)....."Excuse me Mr Blatter, Vladimir Putin is on the line"

Sepp Blatter....."Hello Mr Putin, how are you?"

Putin....."I am very well Mr Blatter. I`m am just ringing to wish you well in the world cup vote later today"

Blatter....."thankyou very much Mr Putin. I am sure everything will be ok"

Putin....."I`m sure it will. There`s just one more thing, did you say gold or silver taps in your new luxury yaught on the black sea?"

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

Why did two people who voted Neth/Belg in round 1 switch to Russia when Neth/Belg were still in the running?

Punishment?

Sepp Blatter involvement and telling them to switch. Or Russia paying them to switch with money!!!!!

Qatar were the only nation that was high risk venue in the 2022 bidders out of all the countries. other countries were either low or medium risk. so how did they get it???

Russia were the only nation that medium risk venue in the 2018 bidders. other countries were low risk, so how did they get it???

The answer is MONEY AND CORRUPT!!!!

I for one am backing the BBC too.

Disgraceful corruption like FIFA shouldn't be hidden and swept under the carpet, it should be challenged.

With the programme going out just before the bid and then these results coming out, it's surely as clear as day what sorts of things have been going on.

It's FIFA we should be angry at, not the BBC.

Frankly, I'm angry at both. It was an idiotic decision by the BBC to broadcast that programme days before a vote. They have had YEARS to do it. Why do it two days before a crucial vote? FIFA being corrupt (allegedly) should make every football fan furious and the evidence is overwhelming...

I'm quite at ease about missing out. It'll be on telly after all which is where I'd watch it if it were here. Plus it would again be designed to again favour the big clubs and the sycophantic media pigs in one way or other.

I can understand the argument for the Ivans. They were not eligible until the last 20 years despite being a keen footballing nation, so such a powerful country should have the World Cup before others that have already hosted it imo. It'll be sh1t for the fans of course but the easy answer to that is to stay at home and watch it on telly.

Qatar however perturbes me greatly. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Qatar.htm

No matter about the stadia that will be put up (in a country that prefers camel racing) whoever even considered such a fly blown hell hole for a world cup tournament must be deep in somebody's pocket and thats that. It's just not a suitable environment to play top level football in. There should be some rule made about only allowing football in a country where grass grows naturally.

It's the ultimate pi55-take, giving it to Qatar.

There's no obvious basis that makes Qatar suitable as World Cup hosts.

We all knew before that there was something rotten in the state of FIFA, but at least they had the good grace not to take the mickey too much. But this is so unabashedly done for the money and nothing else that it really sticks in the throat.

Just another symptom of money playing too big a part in football.

It says it all when despite all of us wishing and hoping we could have the World Cup on our own soil, all we can talk about is what happened in the contest we weren't even competing in.

To be fair Russia with its record of racism and mafia activity are a bad choice but then those are probably benefits for some FIFA members...

Frankly, I'm angry at both. It was an idiotic decision by the BBC to broadcast that programme days before a vote. They have had YEARS to do it. Why do it two days before a crucial vote? FIFA being corrupt (allegedly) should make every football fan furious and the evidence is overwhelming...

Missing the point some what........panorama says they are all corrupt so we geniusly pay beckham to spout a load of garbage about his grandad no one cares about instead of heeding the advice of the programme and paying all the two bit nobodies who get to vote, like you imagine the winners did.

Seriously just bring back a tourny with the home nations and add the republic........would be miles more entertaining than the world cup, more interest more passion and use video replays to ###### blatter off. FIFA just showed how much of a joke organisation they are.

It's as political as Eurovision. They might as well decide the next WC hosts by giving the Eurovision voters an Alternative Vote.

Then England could get "nil points" for the two competitions, all in one evening.

Definitely.

A lady Fifa agent told me Russia & Qatar would get it as early as the last week in August,and many others have as time went on.

All very Bizarre!.

I would have tipped you off,so you could have money on,but i couldn't be 100% sure,like managers getting appointed.

Why bother with the presentations if it's been decided months ago?.

I must say if it's common talk amongst journo's the world over then our lot must not have heard about it. Has Nicko been sleeping or what?

So have you won a bundle Roberto? Well done! Next time tell us what you hear and leave it up to us whether we bet on it or not. It's a pity cos I could even have swopped info. I new for certain sure that 'Don't push it' would win the National and that Blackpool would be promoted ;) but of course I didn't want to mislead anybody and I didn't think it fair to put any money on myself.

However I'm sure that you won't believe anything that I say after the event has happened. ^_^

Missing the point some what........panorama says they are all corrupt so we geniusly pay beckham to spout a load of garbage about his grandad no one cares about instead of heeding the advice of the programme and paying all the two bit nobodies who get to vote, like you imagine the winners did.

Seriously just bring back a tourny with the home nations and add the republic........would be miles more entertaining than the world cup, more interest more passion and use video replays to ###### blatter off. FIFA just showed how much of a joke organisation they are.

First bit, yeah, I think you are a bit... I would be utterly ashamed of a nation that paid to win the votes to host the WC anyway.

Second, I'd love to see the home nations play regular competitions again. I might actually go then. I would have gone to watch a World Cup game or two if it'd been awarded to us...

It's as political as Eurovision.

Agreed. Only it doesn't cost us £463m to enter Eurovision, and the entries are all equally crap whereas our WC bid was clearly the best.

Panorama - we want FIFA and Blatter taking down. As with as much humiliation as possible.

Archived