BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many points will we get under the guidance of this clueless bloke?

Tue 28 15:00 A WBA PREM          

January

Sat 1 15:00 A Sunderland PREM          

Wed 5 20:00 H Liverpool PREM          

Sat 8 15:00 H QPR FACP          

Sat 15 15:00 A Chelsea PREM          

Sun 23 16:00 H WBA PREM          

February

Wed 2 20:00 H Tottenham PREM          

Sat 5 15:00 A Wigan Athletic PREM          

Sat 12 15:00 H Newcastle PREM          

Sat 26 15:00 A Aston Villa PREM          

March

Sat 5 15:00 A Fulham PREM          

Sat 19 15:00 H Blackpool PREM          

April

Sat 2 15:00 A Arsenal PREM          

Sat 9 15:00 H Birmingham PREM          

Sat 16 15:00 A Everton PREM          

Sat 23 15:00 H Manchester City PREM          

Sat 30 15:00 H Bolton PREM          

May

Sat 7 15:00 A West Ham Utd PREM          

Sat 14 15:00 H Man Utd PREM          

Sun 22 16:00 A Wolves PREM          

We won 13 games out of 39, which is a good record for Sam under the circumstances but what's with the winning football comment, misleading would you not say? I would say plating effective football is more accurate.

fine, then dont call it winning football, perhaps it would be better to call if succesfull.? given the circumstances he had to manage under..

Yeah, teaching this lot to pass! Give him a chance...

Does Kean know how to pass then? he was a rather unsuccessful footballer, retired at 27, I'm pretty sure he never made it to PL standard.

You think Dunn or, Salgado will listen to him on how to pass.

Be like asking Jason Lee to teach our strikers how to score.

Steve Keen is not even on wikipedia, how unknown can you get, my last band is on wikipedia.

"Kean worked as an assistant to Chris Coleman at Fulham, Real Sociedad and Coventry."

Didn't Coleman get sacked from all three clubs.

So what? We haven't got Coleman in charge.

He also worked for Sam Allardyce and was wanted by Chelsea.

However the jury is out until he has a chance to build a track record.

Unlike some of the bleep bleep doomsayers I think that we should support him and the team for at least the rest of this season.

Give the man a chance!

Does Kean know how to pass then? he was a rather unsuccessful footballer, retired at 27, I'm pretty sure he never made it to PL standard.

Steve Keen is not even on wikipedia, how unknown can you get, my last band is on wikipedia.

Apparently in his after match press conference he was talking about how he was going to show the players a video of the Stoke game and point out all the positives to their build up play, now is that a worry.

Someone tell me this isnt really happening and that its all a bad dream.

I think the pro vs. anti sam isn't the point. There was a mass indifference to Sam because although the style of play was dire he got the result we all expected given the level of investment he had to play with. So most of us put up with it (rightly or wrongly).

The vast majority of us were neither pro or anti Sam, but the manner in which he was sacked at such a critical point of the season, when mid table looked all but assured and replaced by a Kentaro client/puppet* has polarised opinion. The club would not be in crisis mode and sinking towards an inevitable relegation battle had Kentaro (because lets be clear Venky's will do as they are instructed, errm sorry advised) appointed a proper manager within the week.

Lets not make Sam a martyr in all of this, he really wasn't that good he just wasn't as bad as Paul Ince and the Kentaro m/puppet that is Steve Kean.

(*by a woman who is pretending she has a greater knowledge than John Williams yet whom we all know would struggle to fill the back of a stamp with her so called football knowledge and as she herself previously stated, knows f**k all about football)

So what? We haven't got Coleman in charge.

He also worked for Sam Allardyce and was wanted by Chelsea.

Well he was assistant to a pretty sh1te manager for a number of years.

Sam Allardyce who said he "surprised" he was given the job because he has no experience

And Chelsea, but what role, youth coach?

That's 'cause you don't know how to spell his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kean

Ouch thats embarrassing.... another example of of a over excited poster with little or no grasp of the facts. Come on Chris its hardly indepth research to spell the new managers name right, did you (or maybe that should be can you) even read a newspaper?

He is a decent coach Kean but let's not get carried away - he's never been involved with a really top club who regularly competes for trophies.

He was wanted by Chelsea, primarily because he can speak Portugese which would have assisted Scolari at the time.

Lets not make Sam a martyr in all of this, he really wasn't that good he just wasn't as bad as Paul Ince and the Kentaro m/puppet that is Steve Kean.

Wash your mouth out. It is a downright insult to even compare Allardyce to Paul Ince in managerial terms. btw Steve Who?

As a manager Allardyce is easily in the top third of a premier league of current managers. Equal to all but Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes possibly Redknapp and increasingly in our eyes only Mark Hughes. Coyle may one day get up there and the jury is out on Holloway and Di Matteo. No one but a fool and a Indian woman with a death wish would have swapped Allardyce for the likes of Bruce, Houllier, McLeish, Pardew, McArthy, Grant, Pullis etc.

I was hoping Kean might turn out to be a hidden gem and I did think the players might rather enjoy not having to hoof the ball in the air at every available opportunity but on the evidence of the two home games so far the players have not reacted favourably to Kean or his appointment.

Players like winning games first and foremost. Everything else is secondary to that. We need to build from there.

Alas, the last two weeks has seen everything ripped up to start anew.

It might be understandable if they had had any idea whatsoever regarding what they were going to do in such a circumstance.

They didn't though.

Clueless.

Ouch thats embarrassing.... another example of of a over excited poster with little or no grasp of the facts. Come on Chris its hardly indepth research to spell the new managers name right, did you (or maybe that should be can you) even read a newspaper?

wow you really took advantage of me accidently looking for Keen instead of Kean, well done

good for you, hope you feel better.

Merry Christmas

Wash your mouth out. It is a downright insult to even compare Allardyce to Paul Ince in managerial terms. btw Steve Who?

As a manager Allardyce is easily in the top third of a premier league of current managers. Equal to all but Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes possibly Redknapp and increasingly in our eyes only Mark Hughes. Coyle may one day get up there and the jury is out on Holloway and Di Matteo. No one but a fool and a Indian woman with a death wish would have swapped Allardyce for the likes of Bruce, Houllier, McLeish, Pardew, McArthy, Grant, Pullis etc.

Easily top ten? One of the most outrageous statements that I have read on this MB.

1. Ferguson

2. Mancini

3. Wenger

4. Carlo

5. Redknapp

6. Coyle

7. Hodgson

8. Moyes

9. Houllier

10. Hughes

All of the above are MILES ahead of Sam, they have either won titles (7 out of 10), been more consistent (Moyes, Hughes) or play a style of football which is better (Coyle).

Which ONE of the above is Sam better than?

Fair point.

Revidge has said pretty much what I was going to say.

However losing 23 out of 38 matches is unacceptable especially when we went out there pretty much to lose, our worst ever pl defeat has happened on Sams watch, playing dire football, do you think it matters to the fans who spent and have been spending hundreds of pounds per game on watching dross and getting hammered to as a bonus.

Let me state again for the record I was firmly pro Sam and think he did a marvellous job, however would I trust him with money? Answer is no way based on what he has purchased over his time at Rovers and Newcastle. The argument abouthow much he has spent, I would say look at who he bought that have cost money but have been swept under a carpet, the likes of Basturk, linganzi, Goulon, Elrio etc.

Our away form needed improvement but as John said, most clubs our stature have similar if not worse away records. But there were definite signs of improvement this season; a deserved win at Newcastle, we played some good football at Bolton and Birmingham where bad luck and individual error cost us, a win at Blackpool where many sides have tripped up this season and a battling performance at City to get a point. Yes on the flip side we had that awful Man U result and an awful first half at Spurs together with disappointing performances at Anfield and Stoke, but our performances away from home have been a mixed bag this season with a couple of real shockers. Hardly a disgrace.

As you say yourself he did a marvellous job but our away form was bad. However there were definite signs of improvement this season.

And his transfer record is arguably more good than bad. Why leave out Bolton? He had an excellent transfer record there.

Newcastle - pretty good, all told and contrary to what the media and Newcastle fans would have you believe. Rozenhal signed for £2 million, sold for £2 million - wasn't the best but oh well. Cacapa - signed on a free. Viduka - signed on a free and scored some useful goals. Habib Beye - fan favourite, big success, sold to Villa. Jose Enriqué - big success, still a regular now, good player. Joey Barton - signed on the cheap, terrible person but has been a good player. Alan Smith was the only player who cost quite a bit who was a failure, but he still plays as a regular.

Rovers - mixed really. Kalinic was a flop, but as I've said a lot of 6 million strikers in this league have been. You think Givet was rubbish, I reckon the majority would say he's been a good signing at £3.5 million. He made us so much more solid at the back after he joined in the Ince season, although he was on loan then. N'Zonzi - very good signing, cost a small amount of money, was a good performer last season, has been injured this season but is still young and will be back. Chimbonda - has been a rubbish player but cost £1.5 million - the fact we see this as a big amount says a lot more about our finances than anything else, 1.5 million rarely buys you quality in this league. Jacobsen - I actually liked him especially on a free and think he wouldve been useful to keep as a backup for Salgado. There's been various other players on a free/pay as you play etc but you're always taking a gamble with those players and they're always a bit of a stab in the dark.

So not a bad transfer record at all. Who would you realistically rather have making the signings? Steve Kean?! Dave Jones? Because I can't think of any managers who we've been linked with or who would want to come that have significantly better transfer market records than Sam.

And Mourinho was a great footballer ?

Not saying he is the next special one - but don't see any reason yet why he wouldn't make a good manager.

It seems to a modern myth that you need to be great player (and apparently on Wikipedia ?) to be a good manager. Yes he will find it difficult to attract the top talent to Ewood - but the truth is we don't have the money to attract the very best talent anyway. He has already stated that our new owners want to invest in young talent - and I must admit that is Rovers best chance of ever getting anywhere.

And Mourinho was a great footballer ?

Not saying he is the next special one - but don't see any reason yet why he wouldn't make a good manager.

It seems to a modern myth that you need to be great player (and apparently on Wikipedia ?) to be a good manager. Yes he will find it difficult to attract the top talent to Ewood - but the truth is we don't have the money to attract the very best talent anyway. He has already stated that our new owners want to invest in young talent - and I must admit that is Rovers best chance of ever getting anywhere.

Well there are people on here who wanted Shearer to take over. Despite the fact he has no qualifications and his only managerial spell ended in relegation. But he was a crackin' striker, so none of that matters!

Fair point.

As for the other poster Coyle = No, Houllier without money = No, Woy's PL record vs. Sam = No. Redknapp and Moyes with same money as Sam don't make me laugh.

No one but a fool and a Indian woman with a death wish would have swapped Allardyce for the likes of Bruce, Houllier, McLeish, Pardew, McArthy, Grant, Pullis etc.

You definitely wouldn't swap for Pulis - his football looked as dire as Rovers on Saturday.

Though I was disappointed that they didn't have a top quality replacement for SA lined up - I don't see the need to start kicking Kean yet.

Why can't he go on to be good manager ? Our team is made up from players that didn't quite make it prior to Rovers - so why not now the manager.

At the very least the fans should give him a few games to make his mark on the team - and then judge him.

BTW not saying our owners were right to get rid of Sam mid-season - but that is done now - and we need to move on and get behind the new manager.

When Tony Parkes first managed us way back when, he had no managerial experience..........................Just saying.

he still had the golden era of talent, a top 6 side in Le Saux, Gallacher, Sutton, Sherwood, Flitcroft, Hendry, Berg, Flowers, Wilcox, Ripley.

Probably £100 million worth of talent.

P.S. I hope I spelt them names all right otherwise I face more OscarRaven insults.

P.P.S. Parkes was awesome

Archived