BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the match.

First half we were immense, I honestly cannot recall seeing Rovers using wingers in an attacking formation for many a season like tonight and it showed with a superb win to one of the "Top Four" teams of the Premier League, also I think the return of Samba and the Duracell Bunny (Salgado) helped shore up the defence and make it what it usually is...

Second half I was worried as Liverpool were throwing the kitchen sink at us for a good solid twenty minutes on the left flank as they know that is where we are weak, with poor Givet who plays out of position there (we need a real left back), was amused to see Gerrard miss the penalty (deliberate?) but disappointed to see him bang one in as usual against us.

I think we should have kept up the shape and performance of the first half and took the fight to them and finish them off like Man United did with us, it would have helped our goal difference out, I think as others have mentioned if we get two or three players in the shape of a tackling midfielder, creative midfielder and the aforementioned left back we will quite possibly better our League position from last year.

Anyways onwards and upwards lets next dispense of QPR on Saturday in a similar fashion and then thrash Chelsea who are all over the place at the moment.

GREAT PERFORMANCE BY ROVERS. great to see rovers attacking liverpool. Hoilett and Olsson were great and reminded me of Ripley and Wilcox. Dunn and Pedersen worked hard! Good to Samba back and back to his best. Nelsen is rovers through and through and great servert to rovers. Benjani and M.Diouf were good and worked well in partnership!

Steve Kean tactics were EXCELLENT and Great to see rovers attacking them. WELL DONE STEVE KEAN!!!

Steve Kean Blue and White Army!!!

Last time we beat them in the league was 06-07 I believe. Way too long for my liking.

I think you'll find it was tonight :)

Brilliant football, great goals and great performances.

Special mentions to:

Dunn- best game this season

Junior- he has upped his game, super pace and precision

Benjani- Thanks Sam, he saw something we certainly didnt!

Diouf- Ran his socks off, can we sign him up now?

Brilliant, can't believe you missed olsson though, made Glen Johnson look like the waste of space he is. Covered back really well and made some good tackles (unlike Johnson) and scored too. Great performance. I'm seeing why he's always fecking brilliant in Football Manager!

Speakin of MB Diouf's socks, he looked like he needed new studs, he kept slipping all over the place, particularly late in the game. Something to watch out for - wonder is the relative lack of staff showing in the details like this.

Fantastic win! Couldn't be happier right now! Lets hope this acts as a morale/confidence booster to the whole club and lets carry this form forward starting with QPR at the weekend. We don't want a great win overshadowed with an early exit from the FA cup. Also, after tonights results, Chelsea are there for the taking in our next league game. Get a couple of quality players in then it can only be onwards and upwards for the mighty Rovers!!

Also, full credit to Steve Kean. Now he has had some time in the job he might just be working his magic. Next Coyle? Just maybe...

We can certainly hope. I like the guy so far, he's held up well under enormous pressure, really. As for QPR, we'd better beat them or I'll never hear the end of it. Going to be a tough one, though. Tougher than tonight!

Yes he did, he had a poor game. One moment of madness with a stray pass that really soured his whole performance.

He set up Gerrard for his goal, he really should have done much better with it.

Hahahaha, love it. Jammy deflection for t'Pool, but Gerrard did well to be running on to it, I guess. Made up for it with his penalty miss. Bunn's face was priceless, he actually looked quite nervous before the penalty, then elated after it.

• Backroom

Told you we would win :P

Brilliant night, superb at times, the only time this season we have come close to that is at times agaisnt Chelsea.

Hoilett - immense, his contribution for the third was brilliant even before he got the ball he stormed right accross the pitch for it

Olsson - Again brilliant with these two on thw wings we look a constant threat

Diouf and Benjani - both worked their socks up, Diouf would have had a couple on another night, brilliant work by Diouf for the first

One of the highlights for me was EH Diouf winding up the scousers until the police lady told him off, they had been giving him stick so he started giving it back and they were biting every time.

Kean got it spot on apart from one thing, Goulon should have been on instead of Morris who didn't look up to task but it was only a minor blip.

Say what you like about Liverpool but they have tens of millions worth of talent in 3 players alone tonight.

Great night

any 1 been to the game tonite im still buzzing fantastic performance from rovers thats for all the negative rovers fans on this site who have been slagging every single thing thats been happening have some faith get behind your team and support the boys in the blue and white halfs now thats what im talking about just goin to pour a jd and coke thank u mr kean , walking down the bolton rd

I seldom bother to switch on MOTD these days, but on a high after tonight I regretfully tuned in. Its such a farce that the pundits have to labour to point any compliments in Rovers' direction. If I worked for the beeb I would be embarrased.

Unbiased reporting my @ss.

any 1 been to the game tonite im still buzzing fantastic performance from rovers thats for all the negative rovers fans on this site who have been slagging every single thing thats been happening have some faith get behind your team and support the boys in the blue and white halfs now thats what im talking about just goin to pour a jd and coke thank u mr kean , walking down the bolton rd

Watched half of it in a pub in London and the lads couldnt belive how well we played.

Great to be a Rover Nige, wouldnt swap it for anything.

One Love - BRFC

wouldn't mind a quick summary of what was said by whom on match of the day. Also, Lawro's tears taste like joy

Well lineker said that rovers fans would be screaming at the tv for them to give the team some credit (as opposed to just talking about pool's shocking defending), to which Alan Hansen agreed that we were good......through gritted teeth!

great result and day for rovers fans everywhere, would love to have known the score/approach in an alternate universe where sam was still our manager, have a feeling it wouldnt have been 3-1.

olsson + hoilett were superb tonight, so refreshing to see us playing down the wings, and big jase is gonna wish he never got injured as he's really gonna have to fight for his place now with benji after that

If anybody doubted Steve Kean’s tactical nous before tonight’s game there surely can’t be anybody doubting it afterwards. A very attacking minded 4-4-2 with two out-out-and-out wingers in Hoilett & Olsson not since the days of Duff & Gillespie have we had two proper wingers out wide. Liverpool couldn’t live with the pace of these two wingers possessed along with the pace of Mame DIouf upfront as well. But what I was more impressed with was how much pressure we put on the Liverpool players when they had the ball. We played really high up the pitch it was almost a 4-2-4 when we attacked at times. In addition we stopped Liverpool from passing it around the back four like they always seem to like to do. We changed to almost a diamond midfield four at times in order to press the ball further up the pitch. This worked tremendously well and Liverpool had to resort to hoofing it long which doesn’t suit their players at all. In contrast when we got the ball we kept it on the floor and moved the ball looking to exploit the pace in wide areas against a Liverpool defence that looked vulnerable. A fully deserved 2-0 lead at half-time, second half we slacked off a bit and Liverpool had more of the ball but that could be attributed to tiredness and the fact we made some subs who would probably not be near the first team bar the injuries. Man of the match is a really hard one to call, thought the back four was very good but Samba stood out for me most, absolute man mountain please let us keep him. In midfield Pedersen had his usual five minute spell where he went off the boil but overall I thought his performance was phenomenal, superb pass for the Benjani game and was very energetic in the middle and even took it past TWO Liverpool players with a Messi-esque turn & dribble. Dunn was also much improved on recent games. Moving onto our front four (sounds good doesn’t it)I thought Hoilett & Olsson where great, superb run and finish for Olsson goal and Hoilett provided a few mazy dribble which we haven’t seen since the days of Duff in a Rovers shirt. Upfront Mame Diouf was full of running and played a superb pass for Olsson goal, if I was being a tad critical I’d say he should have done better with the chances he had in the first half but his overall worth ethic was top notch. Benjani who looked a waste of space against Stoke looked a real goal scorer based on tonight’s performance, held up the ball well and took his two goals expertly. In conclusion a number of players could have got the man of the match but my vote goes to Big Chris, won absolutely everything in the air and really drove the team on by bringing the ball out from the back.

Great to see Ewood rocking tonight, best atmosphere this season undoubtly. Attacking, entertaining football, good support and three goals against the scousers. Doesn't get much better that does it? Maybe a couple of good signing could make the week even better.

• Backroom

Great thing about tonight is we scored 3 genuinely world class goals, if United, Chelsea or Arsenal scored them they would be raved about, the movement was amazing.

Benjani was good all game but turned into Shearer for a moment with his first goal, what a piledriver not seen someone hit one that hard at Ewood since Grabbi nearly broke the bar.

Chuffed for Hoilett he seems to be turning into the player we hoped he would, isn't his contract up in summer? Get him signed on for longer.

WONDERFUL performance tonight, the team were outstanding- and I can't recall a more aesthetically pleasing Rovers display since the days of Hughes. Salgado, Samba, Olsson, Diouf (II) and Hoilett were superb.

Had it not been for Gerrard taking the game by the scruff of the neck at times in the second half i've no doubt we'd've done on to get a fourth, and dare I say it a fifth. Majestic. Looks like Woy will have another unhappy return to Ewood- surely gone in the morning? I personally think he is a victim of inheriting a dreadful squad with a handful of good players (Gerrard, Torres, Reina).

On a side note- what was going on with the traffic tonight?? Took me 40 minutes to get from the top of the hill on Jack Walker way to the motorway.

Archived