BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool

I thought the Liverpool players never let their heads drop and kept on at it right to the final whistle. Their fans should be proud of that at least.

Also a mention for referee Mr Marriner. I thought he did extremely well in letting the game flow and being reluctant to produce cards.

He dealt with the bust up between two players on the riverside touchline admirably in the old fashioned way. More of this style of refereeing please.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Liverpool players never let their heads drop and kept on at it right to the final whistle. Their fans should be proud of that at least.

It looked to me like Torres had had enough after about 15 mins, he just wanted to be somewhere else.

It looked to me like Torres had had enough after about 15 mins, he just wanted to be somewhere else.

The only time Torres looked up for it was when he shot after being given offside in the first half. I don't know if he is injured or just out of sorts but I'd be amazed if he's still at Anfield next year.

I'm just watching the game again on LiverpoolTV. I don't know who the commentators are, but whilst they are obviously supporting Liverpool, they are much less biased than the commentary I've heard on MOTD and Sky!

I thought the commentary was very good, they said Nelsen and Samba were magnificent and that they didn't put a foot wrong.

Kean also said 'Chris was exceptional along with Ryan Nelsen who was outstanding' :tu:

I must say I love Benjani, he's got an infectious smile and I love his celebration, Keith Andrews would be proud.

Junior Hoilett was brilliant, the only negative I can think of was we didn't keep the ball very well, Liverpool had the majority of the possession but I suppose they didn't really trouble us.

Oh and the commentators said we'd only won once at home against Liverpool in 14 years! Massive result.......Liverpool - not famous anymore ;)

Also a mention for referee Mr Marriner. I thought he did extremely well in letting the game flow and being reluctant to produce cards.

He dealt with the bust up between two players on the riverside touchline admirably in the old fashioned way. More of this style of refereeing please.

I agree - I thought that Liverpool contributed to an entertaining match.

Can't agree about the ref though - thought he was so biased towards Liverpool it was untrue. One instance in the second half summed it up for me - one of our players got fouled in the process of putting Olsson clear - Marriner looked at where the ball had gone - saw we had a clear advantage and then for some reason blew for the foul.

FAIL

2006/2007 Tue 26 Dec Blackburn R. 1 - 0 Liverpool

Commentators meaning the commentary during the game, so at the time the commentators said it we'd only won once at home against Liverpool in 14 years.......after the game it became twice in 14 years.

I haven't read any posts since before last night's game, so here goes with a few personal views on the game and a couple of other points:

Game: Last night was what football should be about. Exciting football, goals, taking on and beating the big boys. I thought Rovers as a team and as individuals were superb. I haven't enjoyed a game as much as that for a long time. On paper Liverpool were, man for man, better than us. On the park, we were man for man, better than them. The 3-0 lead could have been even more. We did come close though, to throwing it all away in the last 20 minutes and that would have been a real injustice. First time in a long time that I've wanted to watch MOTD. All in all, let's have more of that please.

Hoilett: I always thought he had something special about him. He's come on leaps and bounds this season. The way he set up the third goal was brilliant. There's still plenty of scope for improvement, but the lads doing great.

Samba: Easy this one. We should do everything we can to keep him at Ewood Park.

Benjani: Got a lot of stick and rightly so after his last game or two, but last night showed again to me, that when fit he's a real bonus to the squad. He's possibly our best forward.

Kean: Before the game I was thinking that our best chances were to play 5 at the back and try to hang in the game as long as possible, then hit Liverpool on the break. To Keans credit he saw it differently and went 4-4-2. On the night it worked brilliantly. Liverpool couldn't cope with the width we had. One minus for Kean - his substitutions were poor and could have cost us the three points. They were made too early and they were the wrong substitutions. If Gerard had scored that penalty we might not have won a game that we thoroughly deserved to win.

Liverpool: Just to temper all this just a little bit, that was without doubt the worst Liverpool side that's been around since I've been watching football. No heart, that's their problem. With the players available to them, they should be doing much better than that. Hodgson has to go.

Very good post den, the only bit I'm not completely in agreement with is about Woy. I've always thought as a manager like Sven he is rather over-rated but for me the Liverpool decline has been ten years or so in the making.

Houllier started it all off by buying a right load of foreign dross and Rafa compounded it by buying even more, Torres apart. Woy has inherited a right old pile of festering s****.

Can't agree about the ref though - thought he was so biased towards Liverpool it was untrue.

He really, really wasn't.

The problem is that we remember all the iffy decisions the opposition get, but discard the ones we get. Dunn got a couple of really soft free kicks after he got caught on the ball in dangerous areas. Marriner also did quite well in not giving Torres a free kick every time he went down.

It was a fair performance and one that contributed to an excellent game. We have plenty of opportunities to moan about poor refereeing, at least give credit when it's due.

He really, really wasn't.

The problem is that we remember all the iffy decisions the opposition get, but discard the ones we get. Dunn got a couple of really soft free kicks after he got caught on the ball in dangerous areas. Marriner also did quite well in not giving Torres a free kick every time he went down.

It was a fair performance and one that contributed to an excellent game. We have plenty of opportunities to moan about poor refereeing, at least give credit when it's due.

Yea thought he did ok too

My favourite decision was when he gave Rovers a free kick on the edge of our box after Samba slid in on Ngog (I think). I presume he gave a free kick for diving, but straight away we looked on the telly behind us and Samba definitely took his leg. :D

Amoruso mark 2!

Nope, Christian Daisy!

"Feed the plum" Loved it when he went to West Spam though, he was always good for a couple to the away side and absolutely NO threat at the other end

I cannot agree with comparing Sven to Woy.

Sven has won far more trophies than Woy. Although it's been a while since either have won anything.

But didn't Sven always have loads of money to spend?

Very good post den, the only bit I'm not completely in agreement with is about Woy. I've always thought as a manager like Sven he is rather over-rated but for me the Liverpool decline has been ten years or so in the making.

Houllier started it all off by buying a right load of foreign dross and Rafa compounded it by buying even more, Torres apart. Woy has inherited a right old pile of festering s****.

Spot on Revidge, they are using Woy as a major scapegoat, if you listen to any of the so called supporters of Liverpool FC ALL their arguments are flawed

1. Hogdson's away record? Well, you KNEW THAT when you signed him, and how come you only won 2 away matches last year under the fat spansih waiter then, fools?

2. Negative Away Football? See above, muppets

3. He's not big enough for Liverpool? You signed him, he got us to 4th, Over achieved at Fulham, Managed Inter Milan and Switzerland, and how big are you really now? Reality check, you are a mid table PL club (FACT) Your attendances are down and you've been in decline for years, just look at your ground FFS

Closing statement for the prosecution: (Which is a term they are used to :-)

Who are you going to get to replace him?

Dalglish ? (Been out of Football for over 11 years and hardly left on a high note did he?)

Coyle? Will cost you big money (You do not have) and is NOT proven yet, he's still "Promising".

Fat Spanish Waiter Returns? Are you simply insane? Look up the words "Root Cause" !!!

or Big Sam or Moaning O Neil (I would literally laugh so hard, my old man would simply fall off!)

Where is the investment going to come from ? How are you going to get your new ground and back into the CL? When you have to off load players (At a loss) Pay compo to Woy and the incumbent club, heavily invest in new players, whilst losing your star striker and losing "Fans" and revenue?

Come on scousers, get real, just for once, otherwise you are the new Newcastle fans

Nope, Christian Daisy!

"Feed the plum" Loved it when he went to West Spam though, he was always good for a couple to the away side and absolutely NO threat at the other end

But didn't Sven always have loads of money to spend?

They have both managed big teams in Serie A. Sven won seven trophies in Italy, Roy nothing.

He also went a long way to getting us relegated.

Spot on Revidge, they are using Woy as a major scapegoat, if you listen to any of the so called supporters of Liverpool FC ALL their arguments are flawed

1. Hogdson's away record? Well, you KNEW THAT when you signed him, and how come you only won 2 away matches last year under the fat spansih waiter then, fools?

3. He's not big enough for Liverpool? You signed him, he got us to 4th, Over achieved at Fulham, Managed Inter Milan and Switzerland, and how big are you really now? Reality check, you are a mid table PL club (FACT) Your attendances are down and you've been in decline for years, just look at your ground FFS

Dalglish ? (Been out of Football for over 11 years and hardly left on a high note did he?)

Coyle? Will cost you big money (You do not have) and is NOT proven yet, he's still "Promising".

Fat Spanish Waiter Returns? Are you simply insane? Look up the words "Root Cause" !!!

or Big Sam or Moaning O Neil (I would literally laugh so hard, my old man would simply fall off!)

Where is the investment going to come from ? How are you going to get your new ground and back into the CL? When you have to off load players (At a loss) Pay compo to Woy and the incumbent club, heavily invest in new players, whilst losing your star striker and losing "Fans" and revenue?

Come on scousers, get real, just for once, otherwise you are the new Newcastle fans

Spot on!

And all say all of us!

I absolutely revelled in that victory, this Divine Right of Kings mentality of LFC supporters means they deserve every misfortune that comes their way.

And all say all of us!

I absolutely revelled in that victory, this Divine Right of Kings mentality of LFC supporters means they deserve every misfortune that comes their way.

There was moaning going on on Sky - "Well, you know, for many fans, their lives revolve around Liverpool" - ok - so that gives them a 'right' to win, does it? That statement could apply to passionate supporters of any club you twit :angry:

Excellent win last night but lets not forget that Liverpool until they very flukily beat Bolton on Sat and we lost to Sunderland were below us in the Prem. Liverpool by their previous standards are a dysfunctional misfiring outfit with no outstanding players.

Torres Liverpool career must surely be coming to an end soon. He reminds me of Benny Mac season 1 and Benny Mac season 3. If Torres had scored the fantastic goal that Benjani slammed past Reyna we'd be watching and hearing about it for the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

Gerrard proved that he is simply the decent club player that I have always said he was, his reputation is built as a result of nothing but one match in Istanbul a happy knack of scoring memorable goals and frenzied media hype. He does not ever control a game and he is not and never will be the Midfield General that we are continually spoon fed by Hanson, Lawrenson etc. If he was he'd have cemented his own position in both Liverpool and England instead of continually making way for other players and filling in the midfield.

That said well done to manager and players again. 4-4-2 but the first goal ironically straight off last managers top shelf. Hoillets MoM could easily have been given to Salgado / Samba / Nelsen imo. Pederson was quiet going forward, understandably so, but very effective in the less eye catching, needs must role of nullifying Gerrard and Cole in midfield. Dunny played well too putting in many tackles on the same two above which the manager must have insisted on until he inevitably tired and just about managed to walk off unaided. For the first 60 minutes Olsson and the two strikers were on fire. On the down side Givet was last nights biggest disappointment by allowing Johnson and Cole too many opportunities to get the ball across hence my respect for the two centre halves.

A superb performance and with the biggest difference last night being the subs. Injuries and finances have left us scraping the bottom of the barrel and our subs were much 'weaker' than Liverpools and it showed massively as each one came on. (wtf was going on with Goulon? We needed him to play deep not centre forward). I was mighty nervous when that penalty was given and mighty relieved when it was blazed over.

Forget Ronaldinho, Beckham and BIG name signings. Lets just find a Scott Parker, a Wilson Palasios a new Robbie Savage or Flitty or even a Vince Grella with a different body and mind set. Last night we were crying out for one such player.

Thought when Dunny went off suddenly there seemed to be no one pressing higher up the pitch and as Benjani had looked spent for pretty much the whole of that second half. Rovers needed some much needed impetus higher up the field and Goulon seemed to do that but what was Kean thinking during that period from when Dunn went off to Goulon coming on.

Suppose the injuries played a part in the substitutions Morris for Dunn, El Hadj Diouf for Olsson and Goulon for Benjani. When for balance you'd rearrange the subs to pair off as Morris for Olsson, Goulon for Dunn and El Hadj Diouf for Benjani.

Agree with your post Theno, we do need a solid central midfielder not some 'ageing fancy dan', for me though I would have the wholly unpopular Joey Barton.

Thought when Dunny went off suddenly there seemed to be no one pressing higher up the pitch and as Benjani had looked spent for pretty much the whole of that second half. Rovers needed some much needed impetus higher up the field and Goulon seemed to do that but what was Kean thinking during that period from when Dunn went off to Goulon coming on.

Suppose the injuries played a part in the substitutions Morris for Dunn, El Hadj Diouf for Olsson and Goulon for Benjani. When for balance you'd rearrange the subs to pair off as Morris for Olsson, Goulon for Dunn and El Hadj Diouf for Benjani.

Agree with your post Theno, we do need a solid central midfielder not some 'ageing fancy dan', for me though I would have the wholly unpopular Joey Barton.

Yeah I'm sure that would be good for morale after what happened at St. James Park this season. I'm glad Venky's are in charge and not you.

I don't think I have ever agreed with any of your opinions. I even agree with jim sometimes.

Yeah I'm sure that would be good for morale after what happened at St. James Park this season. I'm glad Venky's are in charge and not you.

I don't think I have ever agreed with any of your opinions. I even agree with jim sometimes.

:D

I agree with some of Jim's comments aswell Bucky, are we too alike :D

Of course they've been in decline for quite some time Rev. However Rovers players weren't playing for Hodgson when he was here and neither are Liverpools now. I don't see the difference in what we are both saying. Their playing squad is nowhere near what it was, or what it should be, but they have players who should be performing a lot better than they are - don't you think?

Of course they've been in decline for quite some time Rev. However Rovers players weren't playing for Hodgson when he was here and neither are Liverpools now. I don't see the difference in what we are both saying. Their playing squad is nowhere near what it was, or what it should be, but they have players who should be performing a lot better than they are - don't you think?

I agree. Liverpool had many big money flops on show. But all of them must have done a job for someone, somewhere in the not too distant past. Benitez and now Roy have failed spectacularly to get them to gel.

What a contrast; on the other side we had the absolute bare bones of a squad that many of us have slagged off as being pathetically inadequate for the Premier League - and the thought that even the best of them could ever be competitive playing "real football".......HA! what a joke!!!

Yep......Kean showed it could be done and, come on, isn't it brilliant that so many fans left the ground feeling good about the team and the performance? (den, your own match report was up-lifting.)

Well now it could, of course, just be a "flash in the pan" - never to be repeated but all the above is true and I am hopeful that we have'nt seen the last Rovers player haring into the opponents half - with pacy support streaming alongside him into dangerous open spaces.

I'm off to say my prayers...........

Archived