BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maradona

philipl

Yes but as what? The manager? Does he want the job? Your post above would indicate that he does.

Why not just expose what you know? You can do it perfectly anonymously and protect your sources.

I don't know what we are dangling but Maradona's personal terms of being the manager with full control seem to be well known.

This is one case where as a personal project of Balaji, we don't know to what extent Kentaro are in the loop and therefore what nicko knows.

However, it was not only Venkatesh Rao telling stories on Ronaldinho- apparently Ronni was a project Anderson sold to Balaji in the first place.

Maradona wanting his own people and full control could be a problem but as Jerome Anderson is a man of many talents, I am sure he will find a way to be of service... I doubt Maradona is a whizz at contracts.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronaldinho was real

Beckham was real

Maradona is real.

Eventually Balaji will hit the jackpot and spend his showbiz wallet.

I don't give a damn whether certain posters believe me or not, there is no "if" about the pursuit of Maradona.

I have been pretty positive about the new owners so far, very much in favour of giving them a chance. I'm not unhappy with anything they have done so far apart from the mannar of Sams sacking. Most of the negative stuff I have heard within the club seems to be from very much used to the old way of doing things and I suspect some of the more outlandish claims we have heard come from them.

I can also see the logic behin the celebrity name to raise the profile of the club, Ronny would have been perfect as he had the fame and also could offer something on the pitch. However Maradona would only be happy with the hot seat, there is no way he would come to play second fiddle to Keen. IF Venkys submit to this and change the manager again based on the "star pull" of his name it would be the worst decsion they could possibly make.

We have a new young manager who although it is early days come across as a breath of fresh air. To undermine him and put Maradona in charge would be a shcking decision. unlike Ronny he would offer nothing except his name, this must not happen.

Desperately hoping for loopholes in this.

Are Venky's definitely pursuing him as manager of the football club? Rather than Director of Football or the equivalent (which would be bad enough)?

That's what I've heard, definitely manager.

16.5/1 is a very good bet...

If you are referring to Betfair, no it isn't. Steve Kean will win that market if he's still in charge by Feb 12th. By the time he gets to 1-2 games away from having managed 10 league games, Maradona's price should have drifted significantly. Unless there is some news on the latter between now and then.

If someone wants to lay me 95-1 however, that would be lovely :D

So the player's mutiny was proved to be crap.

So the scare stories about having to sell Jones and Samba were crap.

So the 'Venkys are skint' stories are being proved to be crap.

So now we have the Maradona is still coming in as manager story...

The fact that your owner went on record as saying Steve Kean would get a long-term deal BEFORE the Liverpool game is ignored.

The fact Kean has been sorting out that contract in the past few days and appointed an assistant has been ignored.

The fact Kean is signing the players he wants does not matter.

Wow.

I suppose the edge would be taken off somewhat if I made a fortune out of it.

I'll keep my eye on the odds

However I rarely take stories seriously when they are solely based on conjecture from an anonymous source.

Unless sources are revealed I will remain sceptical. It would be bloody ridiculous.

• Backroom

On the plus side:

If he was appointed, it would be the first time the entire messageboard agreed on something.

Not the entire messageboard

Plus I still doubt it's true, the main person on here talking about it has at best a dodgy track record, a few weeks back Philip remember the list of players that all desperately wanted out?

I do wonder if someone somewhere is feeding some people with duff information

Edit: this isn't a dig at PhilipL as I know he wont have made it up I just doubt his sources

The fact that your owner went on record as saying Steve Kean would get a long-term deal BEFORE the Liverpool game is ignored.

The fact Kean has been sorting out that contract in the past few days and appointed an assistant has been ignored.

Wow.

You are confident then, Nicko, that the Rao's aren't after Maradona for something?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sceptical and thus, not trying to catch you out. I don't see how Maradona would accept the managers position without being given an open chequebook and a balance of double digit millions. However, having a somewhat sizeable (for me) position in our next manager market it behooves me to check things out. In your original article on it, you managed to get this quote from someone in the VH Group;-

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-unbelievably-want-Diego-Maradona-to-replace-Sam-Allardyce-as-manager-article650769.html

“Maradona is seen as the right profile for the VH Group. He could be offered the manager’s job, the general manager’s job or even technical director.”

Dennis Wise once(still?) had a job at Newcastle that more or less seemed to be playing Golf. It's not beyond the realms of possibility the Rao's want his name associated with the club, however ceremonial as it would seemingly give them they global publicity they desire.

Director of football I can understand but he wont be manager- kean gets a three yr deal and an assistant and the owners are planning to hire Maradona as manager? BPF is generally right but then so is Nicko, logically it makes no sense to hire Maradona as manager.

Director of football I can understand but he wont be manager- kean gets a three yr deal and an assistant and the owners are planning to hire Maradona as manager? BPF is generally right but then so is Nicko, logically it makes no sense to hire Maradona as manager.

How does director of football make any more sense than being manager?

How does director of football make any more sense than being manager?

I don't think he meant it as a good idea in any way, just that appointing Maradona as *the manager* is contradictory to giving Kean a contract and an assistant. Giving him a job "upstairs" however, isn't inherently so.

Have Sky not been to Mrs Desai's house this week? She's normally quite chatty. Would probably clear the whole thing up

You are confident then, Nicko, that the Rao's aren't after Maradona for something?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sceptical and thus, not trying to catch you out. I don't see how Maradona would accept the managers position without being given an open chequebook and a balance of double digit millions. However, having a somewhat sizeable (for me) position in our next manager market it behooves me to check things out. In your original article on it, you managed to get this quote from someone in the VH Group;-

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-unbelievably-want-Diego-Maradona-to-replace-Sam-Allardyce-as-manager-article650769.html

Dennis Wise once(still?) had a job at Newcastle that more or less seemed to be playing Golf. It's not beyond the realms of possibility the Rao's want his name associated with the club, however ceremonial as it would seemingly give them they global publicity they desire.

It would not surprise me if Venkys still had a thought about getting Maradona involved in some way down the line. I don't think too much should be written into his comments last week. That was a 'come and get me' exercise rather than anything specific.

However the manager idea came and went very early on. Common sense prevailed.

Steve Kean is the manager and will be on a long-term contract shortly...

But why let that get in the way of a good old rumour-fest being used to spread fear?

Wow.

I hope your'e right and I'm quite bouyed by the fact Steve Kean is making his own signings, getting his own staff and more importantly seems to be talking sense footballwise but:

Until Venkys prove that they are capable of creating stability nothing should be taken for granted. Fair enough things over the last week have improved and we no longer seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land and they seem to have learnt that shutting up is the best way forward but this needs to be sustained over a 18 month period at least.

What actually does a Director of football do???

Archived