BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's set up football academy in Pune.

In fairness this deserves credit. Maybe they could also set one up in Brazil so there's one in another of their key business locations, now that would make the world know they are serious about developing young talent

• Backroom

We are the first from England to open an academy in India I believe.

I'm actually going back to Pune in 3 months, very much looking forward to it.

It won't be open in 3 months.. they said it would be sometime next year! ;)

We are the first from England to open an academy in India I believe.

I'm actually going back to Pune in 3 months, very much looking forward to it.

Umm. I'm absolutely sure I've seen links to reports about City/Chelsea/both planning to open academies in India. Dating from before Venkys took over. I'd expect theirs to be ready before ours. But who knows.

Question...won't there be problems with work permits pertaining to any talent we want from this academy? And I assume that being trained at the club's academy in another country won't allow them to count for the homegrown rule? (Unless they come over early enough obviously)

Great news though, obviously something that won't bear fruit for a long time, but a very positive step.

I meant in General going back to India for the "Rise of Rovers"

To get a Visa between the two countries is relatively easy, it takes about a week for a tourist visa and Business Visa's have been relatively easy for me. However coming to the U.K may be somewhat more difficult. From what I understand the issue that the board agency have is that people lying, basically fraudsters and people whom do not have sufficient funds. But with sponsorship for them via BRFC and work already in line I think Visa would be relatively easy. Another fundamental is knowing the where-a-bouts of the individual and this is something which can be tracked easily. Therefore again no real significant issues

I actually work for an NGO out there at the moment and on my way back, i'd been in the sticks for ages, no internet, phones or newspapers... (that is how awful it was) I arrived back in Delhi wearing a Rovers shirt and see several Natives wearing a newer shirts than I was.

I then had to fly back to Mumbai, and there were several Rovers Shirts and flags seen in the more middle class regions.

The state of football in India is shocking... it's somewhat primitive to the U.K. However I think with years and years of development it may provide successful. This is a very exciting time for us is India.

Havent found anything in regards to Chelsea, but City and Bayern are opening academy in India.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1263/india--south-asia/2008/11/14/963318/bayern-munich-to-set-up-india-academy

http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city-launching-academy-india-870901

Venkys did first announce they would be opening an academy back in December

http://www.sportzpower.com/?q=content/venkys-plan-state-art-football-academy-pune

Vey interesting to read your post their Nafe_Rovers in regards to seeing some of the natives wearing Rovers shirts,given the population is around 1.1 Billion, you can understand why Venkys want to make us high profile over there.

Are you due ack in India anytime soon? Would be good to hear an update in regards to our profile etc over there.

Anyway the academy is a huge positive, and whilst I do have my doubts still about Venkys and their motives, its things like this that help convince people they are serious about the project they have taken on.

Venky's academy is highly unlikely to produce any PL standard footballers but at least it might uncover some decent cricketers for Lancashire.

Yeah that makes sense. Mrs Desai has already proven she knows more about 21st century football and business than you.

The futures bright.

Venky's academy is highly unlikely to produce any PL standard footballers but at least it might uncover some decent cricketers for Lancashire.

Genralising that Indians are no good at football, but their all good at cricket. Your views are primative to say the least. With a population of over 1 billion, given the right investment, they are bound to uncover some gems given time.

Yeah that makes sense. Mrs Desai has already proven she knows more about 21st century football and business than you.

The futures bright.

Bucky your right, but in fairness it wouldnt take much for Mrs Desai to know more about football than Jim, I mean Defoe has been useless since he went back to Spurs.

Genralising that Indians are no good at football, but their all good at cricket. Your views are primative to say the least. With a population of over 1 billion, given the right investment, they are bound to uncover some gems given time.

Bucky your right, but in fairness it wouldnt take much for Mrs Desai to know more about football than Jim, I mean Defoe has been useless since he went back to Spurs.

I didn't say the Indiians were no good at football - I said the academy was unlikely to produce PL standard footballers. Read and learn.

And it's spelt primitive by the way - just so you know next time.

Wow. Since you're giving spelling classes today, have I got these ones right?

'Unsubstantiated drivel'

I meant in General going back to India for the "Rise of Rovers"

To get a Visa between the two countries is relatively easy, it takes about a week for a tourist visa and Business Visa's have been relatively easy for me. However coming to the U.K may be somewhat more difficult. From what I understand the issue that the board agency have is that people lying, basically fraudsters and people whom do not have sufficient funds. But with sponsorship for them via BRFC and work already in line I think Visa would be relatively easy. Another fundamental is knowing the where-a-bouts of the individual and this is something which can be tracked easily. Therefore again no real significant issues

I think football work permits are an entirely different kettle of fish. I don't know if India still has any kind of Commonwealth ties that might make it easier, but generally to get a work permit in the Premiership from outside the EU, you have to have played a large percentage (75?) of your country's international games in the last...I don't know, year or something. And I think that country also has to be in the top (dunno what percent) in the FIFA rankings. If you don't meet one of these criteria it usually goes to an appeal and you have to prove the player is a special case. We had to do this with Friedel and Hoilett- fortunately, both won through.

Vey interesting to read your post their Nafe_Rovers in regards to seeing some of the natives wearing Rovers shirts,given the population is around 1.1 Billion, you can understand why Venkys want to make us high profile over there.

Are you due ack in India anytime soon? Would be good to hear an update in regards to our profile etc over there.

Anyway the academy is a huge positive, and whilst I do have my doubts still about Venkys and their motives, its things like this that help convince people they are serious about the project they have taken on.

The general consensus is that India's want football, they like western culture and in places like Mumbai and Delhi they embrace our culture.

For us, it is a shame, but I imagine it will consist of both massive financial benefits (one has to remember this is a relatively untapped market) and in regards to the financial rewards I have an interesting fact that Mumbai(not far from PUNE, i think it's about 200 km by road) has the most millionaires in the world (per city) (before I get slated 40% of mumbai, around 6.5 million are unable to read.... I KNOW!)

Of course, I am due to go back in March, but I'm thinking of delaying it until june/ july! But will let you specific updates.

But can I just say that by stature Indian's by nature are incredible small (short) and do not have what is considered the norm for body structure for the PL, or what I would consider the norm for a footballer. I know Nani is quick and quality but in truth there are very few who are short and successful in the modern game,hopefully you all see the point I am trying to make?

Another issue that we might have is the Caste system, although it is illegal, it still remains very much in place and it is incredibly difficult for individuals who are born into the lowest class to get out off. So we may have a bit of trouble in that respect, and the so called 'untouchables' have produced the majority of famous cricketers... (so I am led to believe, not entirely sure, but will find out!)

But again from a business perspective, it could reap massive financial reward.

I think football work permits are an entirely different kettle of fish. I don't know if India still has any kind of Commonwealth ties that might make it easier.

I was actually meant to state that I am not particularly sure about football, although I am certain there is a specific criteria. However from what I've heard from Commonwealth players or players in the Commonwealth it is to do with the wording of the role in the club... so first team player or backup etc etc... So it can, depend on that.

Archived