BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see a midfielder come in and he sounds like the type of player we might need IF successful.

However I think many on here have their hopes up far too much - yes it's good to see what sounds like a creative midfielder come in, but I doubt many people on this board have seen him play very much given Newells' matches are rarely broadcast much around the world. Just because he's Argentinian and has a fancy name doesn't mean he's going to be necessarily going to be up to standard.

Additionally, how many players have come in straight from South American football and made their name in the Premier League? Tevez and Mascherano were seasoned internationals before they arrived and even they took a long time to really settle in. There's been many more failures than successes in this category - some much more highly rated than Formica is currently.

So yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do but it's at least as likely he'll end up another Villanueva as he will end up being a success.

+1 Tony, sums up my feelings perfectly. I'm hopeful, not expectant.

I'm also worried about weird "buy back" clauses with some of these youngsters we're bring in.

Rochina buy back makes sense does it not? We want the player as do Barca, if he fails to settle in a year Barca buy him back for a fixed fee- presume it's what we paid for him. If he is successful after then Barca have first refusal, implies that they think a lot of him, he certainly looks a very gifted footballer.

Kean called him ‘a young Gabriel Batistuta’.

Thats like calling Carroll the new Alan Shearer.

Batistuta was stupidly great. Hope he is half as good.

According to those in the know he's nothing like Batistuta. They seem to believe Kean gave the likeness due to Batigol starting his career at Newell's too, and the fact that they both have flowing locks.

Sounds like the creative player we've all been waiting for though. Can't wait to see him in the blue and white halves.

Kean called him ‘a young Gabriel Batistuta’.

Thats like calling Carroll the new Alan Shearer.

Batistuta was stupidly great. Hope he is half as good.

He said 'a bit like a young Gabriel Batistuta', without further comparison. People tend to read too much into comments like that, like the one about Kalinic being 'the future of Croatian football'.

Not sure about that selection, but these signings definitely indicate a 4-5-1 of some form. Formica certainly isn't a 4-4-2 player.

................ Robinson

Salgado . Samba . Nelsen . Givet

............ Jones ... Pedersen

Hoilett ....... Formica ..... Rochina

............... Santa Cruz

Something like that maybe...with a very fluid attacking midfield three.

Hmmmm, I can see it being more like:

............ Jones ... N'Zonzi

Hoilett ....... Formica ..... Olsson

for tricky away games, then perhaps:

............ Jones ...

Hoilett ..Dunn..... Formica ..... Olsson

for more winnable ones, then:

............ Jones

Hoilett ....... Formica ..... Olsson

.......Santa Cruz..... Niko

for most home games.

If Dunny's fit, and Formica's up to the Premier League, then I don't see where MGP gets in. Add to that he's been the weak link, certainly in the last 2 games and I think he's going to be a bench player more often than not.

From that article....

Formica hails from a nation notorious for hyping up their young talents, with several youngsters tipped to be reincarnations of national football heroes like Diego Maradona or Ariel Ortega. Unsurprisingly, Mauro has not been able to escape this, with several pundits dubbing him (inexplicably) the new Batistuta; however the more accurate comparison comes from Argentinas neighbours Brazil, in the shape of Real Madrids Kaká.

Not only does he bear a truly startling physical resemblance to Kaká (everything except the 80s style mullet), Formica also has several similarities to the Brazilian in his playing style. Watching the way he drives at defences, with the ball appearing to stick to his boots, you would be forgiven for thinking you were watching a young Kaká. He skips past defenders in the same way that Kaká does, naturally and with pace.

However Formica isnt just a dribbler, he has technique and flair in abundance, making him a fantastic player to watch. He has a tremendous passing range, a great first touch, he hits a great shot from distance, and he is able to pull off deft flicks, back-heels and nutmegs when the situation calls for it. Without trying to over-hype the 22-year old, he really does possess the skill set of a truly world class attacking midfielder.

As I have mentioned earlier, Formica is a proper South American number 10. At Newells he played either behind two centre-forwards or as the left sided attacking midfielder in a 4-3-2-1

Archived