BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your brain cell that Villaneueva was pants. But our neanderthal style of play would not have suited him had he been any good. Skill, craft and guile were just not the way of the Big Sam.

In Sam's defence, I don't think any manager in his right mind would want a team of cloggers. I think Sam was all for signing a luxury player, provided he didn't have to develop them. Hoilett, for example, was in and out of the team, because Sam preferred to stick to someone who could work the percentages (Diouf).

I agree with your brain cell that Villaneueva was pants. But our neanderthal style of play would not have suited him had he been any good. Skill, craft and guile were just not the way of the Big Sam.

So so true. I believe Sam did a sterling job with us under such restraints but its no crime to prefer our current style. It got so bad under Sam that Goullon had me excited! To capture someone of Formica's type gets people interesred. No shame in that. Proper football looks like it may be returning. No reflection on Sam's regime at all. But it has taught me to enjoy it while it lasts.

Wasn't Blackburn interested in keeping Villanueva? But due to an asking price of 5 million pounds, he ended up elsewhere?

Personally, I thought he did OK. According to wikipedia, he got 2 goals and 4 assists in 15 games for Blackburn.

Two of those goals and three of those assists were in the cup.

He's still playing in the UAE and hasn't got anywhere near the Chile squad lately.

Christ its boring when people keep reffering to Okocha and Djorkaeff at Bolton. They still hoofed it 90% of the time.

What did they do then? Surely if they hoofed it so much the games wouldve passed them by? Or do you think Okocha, Djorkaeff and Campo did the hoofing too?

Sam's Bolton side hoofed it a lot early on but once he got the chance to get some skilful players into the side they played some okay stuff. Not particularly great but it wasn't 90% hoofing either.

So so true. I believe Sam did a sterling job with us under such restraints but its no crime to prefer our current style. It got so bad under Sam that Goullon had me excited! To capture someone of Formica's type gets people interesred. No shame in that. Proper football looks like it may be returning. No reflection on Sam's regime at all. But it has taught me to enjoy it while it lasts.

Sorry, but what does comparing Goulon and Formica have to do with anything?? Presumably, you're making the claim that Sam wasn't looking to sign someone like Formica, which is just plain wrong, as most of the targets that we looked at and probably ended up getting were already initially worked on during Sam's time here. Unfortunately, monetary restraints meant that we had to sign players from the bargain bin and hope for the best. It wasn't always pretty, but signing efficient players rather than highly technical players meant that it was cheaper to put a squad together and easier to replace outgoing players.

Blackpool have managed to put together a good, technical team on a small budget, but then you look at their players that are allowing them to play in such a way, such as Adam, and we now see them being touted for prices upward of 9 million.

It's great we can now afford to buy players like Formica, and hopefully it can continue.

Wasn't Blackburn interested in keeping Villanueva? But due to an asking price of 5 million pounds, he ended up elsewhere?

Yes, from what I remember we were interested, but could no longer afford it as we finished lower than expected that season and wasted money on sacking Ince. I think the price may have even been 6 million pounds, but it was also set into the loan contract as a future offer if we were interested in keeping him. Obviously wasn't worth it, given his limited playing time and effect on results.

He signed for Bolton in 2002.

You should really cite more recent examples.

Move on

And Allardyce took charge of Bolton in 1998. What's your point? My point was that Sam is more than capable of managing skilful players and getting them to perform to the best of their abilities.

Does "move on" apply to those people who started the conversation about our ex manager, or just those who sought to defend the man who steered us up to the position we are today? I was personally happy just talking about Formica in this thread, but like any decent fan I'll back to the hilt anyone who I feel was as good for the club as Sam was.

It's clear Sam's plan with us was to stabilise us first, make us solid and then try and bring in one or two creative players after this had been achieved. He more than succeeded with making us into a solid outfit last season, and was on the Charlie Adam trail long before the likes of Spurs and Liverpool were. He also never had £3.5 million to spend on a midfielder; his only two major purchases were Kalinic (when we needed a striker after RSC left) and Givet (desperately needed after the defensive shambles of Paul Ince).

And Allardyce took charge of Bolton in 1998. What's your point? My point was that Sam is more than capable of managing skilful players and getting them to perform to the best of their abilities.

Does "move on" apply to those people who started the conversation about our ex manager, or just those who sought to defend the man who steered us up to the position we are today? I was personally happy just talking about Formica in this thread, but like any decent fan I'll back to the hilt anyone who I feel was as good for the club as Sam was.

It's clear Sam's plan with us was to stabilise us first, make us solid and then try and bring in one or two creative players after this had been achieved. He more than succeeded with making us into a solid outfit last season, and was on the Charlie Adam trail long before the likes of Spurs and Liverpool were. He also never had £3.5 million to spend on a midfielder; his only two major purchases were Kalinic (when we needed a striker after RSC left) and Givet (desperately needed after the defensive shambles of Paul Ince).

Paul Ince was in charge for about six months. We finished 7th (I think) the year before.

Don't blow it out of proportion. He'll get over it

Why are you still campaigning for Sam Allardyce? Hes gone, we play much more exciting football. Get over it and enjoy the ride.

Paul Ince was in charge for about six months. We finished 7th (I think) the year before.

Don't blow it out of proportion. He'll get over it

We finished 10th the year before, and our three most important players that season were arguably Bentley, Friedel and Roque. Two of them we lost that summer, and Roque we might as well have lost considering how he was after that first season with us. Obviously having a terrible manager who signed rubbish outfield players (and a goalkeeper who, although excellent now was fairly substandard for his first season or so with us) didn't help. However when Sam took over we were bereft of confidence and staring relegation in the face. Turning that round AND getting us back upto 10th in his next season with minimal investment was an excellent achievement.

Why are you still campaigning for Sam Allardyce? Hes gone, we play much more exciting football. Get over it and enjoy the ride.

Are you too simple to read a few pages?

I was all for talking about our new player, but when people started bad mouthing our last manager I thought they needed setting straight.

Formica would have fluorished under someone who had handled creative players well in the past.

We are on page 5 in a thread about an exciting young signing and people are still banging on about Allardyce, I liked it when he was here but he isn't now, get the (Please don't use that word again) over it, does every thread have to turn into what Allardyce would have, could have, should have done.

He is not coming back, who he wanted to sign is completely irrelevant, what the (Please don't use that word again) do you people want?

Archived