[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Posted this in the transfer thread but should be here, from Old Boys site:

FORMICA-FIRMA-300x225.jpg

Good to see him looking happy and having Finn alongside him

Over the moon with this signing. How long have Rovers been crying out for a playmaker? Too bloody long, that's what! If this guy can live up to his potential, I reckon we have something special on our hands.

I'm not sure if he should be thrown in straight away. He'll need time to get up to speed, and could probably benefit wit deputizing for Dunn at times. Then again, he might be a smash-hit! We'll see.

facially the guy is the absolute spitting image of kaka and going by youtube looks ridiculously skillfull and fingers crossed taking set piece duty from pedersen.

Rochina looks like the ball is glued to his boots think we have just doubled the skill level at the club and would be tempted to start both immediately

.......................JONES..................

..............EMO...............Ollson........

..........Hoillet............FORMICA..........

.....................ROCHINA(cruz presumed injured).

Ollson has the pace to go box to box, Emo is better than Peds and the front 3 plus Ollson have pace to burn with pure skill. We'll never line up like this but it looks great without peds in there.

Good to see a midfielder come in and he sounds like the type of player we might need IF successful.

However I think many on here have their hopes up far too much - yes it's good to see what sounds like a creative midfielder come in, but I doubt many people on this board have seen him play very much given Newells' matches are rarely broadcast much around the world. Just because he's Argentinian and has a fancy name doesn't mean he's going to be necessarily going to be up to standard.

Additionally, how many players have come in straight from South American football and made their name in the Premier League? Tevez and Mascherano were seasoned internationals before they arrived and even they took a long time to really settle in. There's been many more failures than successes in this category - some much more highly rated than Formica is currently.

So yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do but it's at least as likely he'll end up another Villanueva as he will end up being a success.

Was he speaking English or through a translator?

Be interesting to see whether Roque and Salgado take him under their wing along with the young Spaniard.

Good to see he'll have players here who he can talk too and not feel isolated straight away.

Through a translator

Additionally, how many players have come in straight from South American football and made their name in the Premier League? Tevez and Mascherano were seasoned internationals before they arrived and even they took a long time to really settle in. There's been many more failures than successes in this category - some much more highly rated than Formica is currently.

Palacios? Valencia? Rodalegga? Santa Cruz? Figueroa?

*Technically, some of them are from Central America, but let's not split hairs.

Most of the fans are cautiously optimistic about the player, anyway!

.......................JONES..................

..............EMO...............Ollson........

..........Hoillet............FORMICA..........

.....................ROCHINA(cruz presumed injured).

Not sure about that selection, but these signings definitely indicate a 4-5-1 of some form. Formica certainly isn't a 4-4-2 player.

................ Robinson

Salgado . Samba . Nelsen . Givet

............ Jones ... Pedersen

Hoilett ....... Formica ..... Rochina

............... Santa Cruz

Something like that maybe...with a very fluid attacking midfield three.

Not sure about that selection, but these signings definitely indicate a 4-5-1 of some form. Formica certainly isn't a 4-4-2 player.

................ Robinson

Salgado . Samba . Nelsen . Olsson

............ Jones ... Pedersen

Hoilett ....... Formica ..... Rochina

............... Santa Cruz

Something like that maybe...with a very fluid attacking midfield three.

What about Olsson? I'll update this for you... :)

can someone finish this sentance.

This guy will be much better then villanueva because..........

Well you may have a point Chris.......But even if he fails to live up to the hype, i'd sooner spend £4m ish on a player who might change the game than Vince Grella. Villanueva might have been given aproper crack of the whip had we paid for him and if Sam had somehow perceived him to be 6f4.

I'm sure that I remember reading an article that the Argentinian teams are just about on preseason right now. I can't imagine that Mauro's done much preseason work what with him flying here there and everywhere to get a permanent move. I'd say that we probably shouldn't get our hopes up that much that he's going to be an instant hit. It's tough enough as it is for an established Premier League player to switch clubs never mind one with no PL experience and having to come and settle into a completely different culture too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that he's signed and will support and hope he pushes us onwards and upwards :)

Archived