BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would have gone to Monaco otherwise.

He'll probably need to bulk up a little bit first, it's not just about match fitness.

Spot on with the bulking up bit, LeChuck. From the looks of those training piccys, Formica's chicken legs might NOT survive Ms. Desai's next visit!!!

Don't think Formica is going to be the answer to our problems. The issues run much, much deeper.

I completely agree.

Formica would have been a passenger in a game like today's (just as Hoilett and Dunn were). We need to sort out larger problems before introducing someone like him.

Its very simple. When you try to play attacking football with overlapping full backs, then you need TWO sitting midfielders not running headless chickens which leave gaps all over the middle. And I doubt we can pull it off with two strikers. Its so imbalanced.

Play 4-2-3-1, put Formica in the hole, with Jones and Nzonzi sitting.

Its very simple. When you try to play attacking football with overlapping full backs, then you need TWO sitting midfielders not running headless chickens which leave gaps all over the middle. And I doubt we can pull it off with two strikers. Its so imbalanced.

Play 4-2-3-1, put Formica in the hole, with Jones and Nzonzi sitting.

Couldn't agree more Bobby.

This is clearly the formation to take us forward.

Two sitters with with an attacking 3 of Hoilett, Formica, Olssen would be very exciting to watch. I am sure Olssen and Hoilett would track back as well.

If we could get a forward who can hold the ball/finish we would be a handful.

The lad Traore from Cluj looks a good target man. He was apparently available in Jan for around £3mil and fits in with buying for the future.

Football is a simple game, you often wonder how managers get it so spectacularly wrong!

Alternatively according to people in Argentina he can also play on the left of a three so would 4-3-3 be an option. I do agree that with the players we have until the summer two sitters would be a good base to attack from, If RSC is the loan striker I do think he's better with balls into his feet, something we seem to struggle with. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more Bobby.

This is clearly the formation to take us forward.

Two sitters with with an attacking 3 of Hoilett, Formica, Olssen would be very exciting to watch. I am sure Olssen and Hoilett would track back as well.

A 4-2-3-1 needs overlapping full backs to work properly. The wingers can't be glued to the touchline, that attacking three need to be very fluid, meaning full backs are sharing responsibility of creating width. I'm really not keen on Olsson playing midfield in that formation, he's quite one dimensional as a wide player. Hoilett is perfect for it though.

Putting Olsson at full back would create a more balanced team with the two holding midfielders. It doesn't have to restrict him, Enrique was Newcastle's best attacking player from left back. Clichy, Cole, Evra, Baines...all make significant attacking contributions. Givet and Salgado just wouldn't work together in that formation, we'd completely lack fluidity up top as the wide midfielders would be pinned to the touchline because of the negative full backs. That would leave the striker isolated, and Formica with no-one to pick out as there would be little movement to pull the opposition defence around.

...................... Robinson

Emerton . Samba . Nelsen . Olsson

.............. J. Jones .... P. Jones

... M. Diouf ..... Formica ..... Hoilett

...................... Santa Cruz

I'd be looking to play that ASAP. The double Jones pairing would offer great protection, having the engine to cover attacking fullbacks where necessary. Diouf and Hoilett will naturally want to come inside and support Santa Cruz, this is crucial in a formation where you only have one striker. Formica would be given a free role to pull the strings in midfield.

...................... Robinson

.............. J. Jones .... P. Jones

... M. Diouf ..... Formica ..... Hoilett

...................... Santa Cruz

Alternatively :-

............ Robinson

.P. Jones .... J. Jones ... MGP

.... Formica ..... Hoilett

.......... Santa Cruz

Gives more cover for full backs - to encourage them to push forward.

I'm expecting nothing from these guys and then will be delighted if they do anything half decent.

Anyone who expects them to be stars this season is either going to be disappointed or we got very lucky if they turn out to be world beaters.

............ Robinson

.......... Santa Cruz

Ahh, the Christmas tree. A highly successful football manager tactic, I back this man.

............ Robinson

.......... Santa Cruz

Could possibly work, I'd worry about attacking width but if Hoilett and Formica were smart enough to drift wide where appropriate, it could definitely work. Not sure that would get the best out of Formica though.

Even just occupying the opposition full backs will protect our full backs though, I wouldn't worry about pushing wide players high up the pitch. Enrique had a free run all game on Saturday because he knew nobody would exploit the space he was leaving. Had Hoilett/Diouf been out on that touchline he couldn't have gone forward at will like he was doing.

Thank Fook, its by time... at least a bit of creativity in midfield, and hopefully a young energetic lad up front. I know, we have kalinic, but another young lad challenging would be great. i have a good feeling about the Villa game, as well as the Fulham game. Call me insane, but dont bet against us picking up a win against Villa and Fulham. If we achieve that, then i think we will be safe.

Thank Fook, its by time... at least a bit of creativity in midfield, and hopefully a young energetic lad up front. I know, we have kalinic, but another young lad challenging would be great. i have a good feeling about the Villa game, as well as the Fulham game. Call me insane, but dont bet against us picking up a win against Villa and Fulham. If we achieve that, then i think we will be safe.

You clearly are......

The two new lads have only been here three weeks, how is it "about time"?

Another youngster up front is not whats needed, organisation with our current first 11 is whats called for.

Thank Fook, its by timech. We'll see.

but dont bet against us picking up a win against Villa and Fulham. If we achieve that, then i think we will be safe.

I hope Rochina and Formica are ready for it. If they aren't it will be a sign that Kean is desperate, if he playes them too soon.

I agree that we'll be safe if we get a win vs. Villa or Fulham. Don't think it likely that we'll get a win against either one, but anything is possible. Especially against Villa and especially if Rochina or Formica are really up to speed.

In fact, if Rochina or Formica are truly up to speed, my doom and gloom will look more than a little misplaced. We'll see.

You clearly are......

The two new lads have only been here three weeks, how is it "about time"?

Another youngster up front is not whats needed, organisation with our current first 11 is whats called for.

Insanity is a very overlooked virtue, if the reality currently on offer does not suit - we simply substitute a new one.

Its fantastc.

My current wife is wonderful, might change her up for a 1992 vintage later on today... with blue hair.

Our two new lads are the reicarnations of football greats and will perform as such.

Archived