BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Olsson is wasted at left-back.

I don't get that. Was Enrique wasted at left back for Newcastle against us? He was the best attacking player on the field. Left back can be an attacking position. In fact, an overlapping full back often enjoys more space than the winger in front of him.

Evra, Clichy, Baines, Enrique...all make significant attacking contributions.

Olsson isn't even that good going forward. His crossing is appalling, or at least it has been recently. You say he's wasted at left back, I'd say he would be incredibly limited as a left winger. Wingers nowadays have to drift around looking for space, coming in from the touchline and trying to create. All Olsson does is stick to the line and try to cross - perfect modern full back play.

Fair point, but all looked shakey as they were learning the full back position. Same with Ashley Cole.

He's only 22 and could easily learn that side of it. One huge thing in his favour that he's brave, he doesn't mind getting stuck in and putting himself in situations where he might get hurt.

I think he's already good enough to get by defensively to be honest. He wasn't great at Wigan but then neither were any of our other defenders. That game aside he's been solid enough, most our of problems have come from our right side.

Fair point, but all looked shakey as they were learning the full back position. Same with Ashley Cole.

He's only 22 and could easily learn that side of it. One huge thing in his favour that he's brave, he doesn't mind getting stuck in and putting himself in situations where he might get hurt.

I think he's already good enough to get by defensively to be honest. He wasn't great at Wigan but then neither were any of our other defenders. That game aside he's been solid enough, most our of problems have come from our right side.

In both of our last two games though having him at left back we seem to over compenste on the left hand side, exposing the right. I dont think Kean trusts him as a left back.

I would love too see us play some of the formations mentioned on here, topmans, damorovers and the 3 central defenders ones look great, but I dont think they are realistic given Keans comments :(

I disagree on the diamond not working the problem we have is trying to use it every damn match, if certain players are not fit we should change formation not try to shoe horn players into roles they are not suited to.

In terms of Formica though.. cant wait to see him play, the big if has to be will he cope with the epl.. if he can we may have the bargain of the season by a long shot. Its the first time I can remember in years with have had a proper playmaker who can pull the strings up front, having him with two nippy little players beside him will be very interesting indeed. 8 goals, 7 assists in 38 games, an argentine squad call up (impressive given players in his position) and his overall rating in argentina bode well.. but can he make it in england.. hmm

One thing to note is generally argentine players are not typically south american softies, Mascherano, Heinze, Tevez, Zanneti.. they always seem to be that little bit more hardworking/passionate.

I still think Keans comments about him being like a young batistuta come from Kean watching a video of the kids goals.. he has a very powerful long range shot thats the source of many of his goals.

At least he fits with our squad very well, can cover the left wing if givet is out, can replace Dunn and can play off the main striker if kean insists on playing two up front. He also can score goals from midfield and although right footed scores and passes well from both feet.

Should be some interesting times ahead, he does seem a happy chappy given the pics of him but then again the pics of him in argentina tend ttoo show him grinning no matter what.

Insanity is a very overlooked virtue, if the reality currently on offer does not suit - we simply substitute a new one.

Its fantastc.

My current wife is wonderful, might change her up for a 1992 vintage later on today... with blue hair.

Our two new lads are the reicarnations of football greats and will perform as such.

Good randall mcmurphy impersonation, reb :)

From reading the South American's views/blogs etc, I don't think the comparison with Bastituta, in relation to style of play, was that accurate.

Agreed Johno it was a daft or lazy comparison. Lazy because mauro and gabriel both emerged from the newell's youth set up. Daft because one look a their physiques will tell you that mauro does not possess the power that gb had. Additionally, gb was the quintessential center forward -- maiuro is more a classic (sudaca) south american number 10 - think zico, aimar, riquelme and the playmaking responsibilities those blokes performed. Btw - using those one time greats as

examples in no way was it meant as a comparison --- I'd be thrilled if Mf was one third the player zico was

It was taken out of context, the whole Batistuta thing. Batistuta was a centre forward, Formica is a midfielder and should be compared to Riquelme or Aimar.

In what context was it meant then? I can't think in what context Kean's words could make sense.

Spoke to a south American blogger on twitter! He was very shocked he signed for us but he is regarded as a decent talent!

He finished by saying "in time he could be a cheap mans VDV"

He was shocked because he thought the player was too big a prospect for us, or because we should be signing someone better? Or something else?

In what context was it meant then? I can't think in what context Kean's words could make sense.

Kean should know better, and know the difference between a striker and a midfielder. Comparing the 2, well thats just silly now is it? Batistuta was your typical centre forward, while formica is a creative midfielder.

Why is this throw-away comment being made such a big deal about? Has anyone here actually seen him play yet? What a pointless thing to bash Kean with...

In all fairness, if you buy a player, you should know a bit about him, its a bit like a fast bowler signing for lancs and turns out to be a leg spinner!!

Well, Lancs did sign Colin Croft years ago, thought he was left arm fast, turned out he was right arm!! :lol:

In all fairness, if you buy a player, you should know a bit about him, its a bit like a fast bowler signing for lancs and turns out to be a leg spinner!!

Well, Lancs did sign Colin Croft years ago, thought he was left arm fast, turned out he was right arm!! :lol:

It's a completely different situation. It was used a description in a fairly throw-away comment. It's also a matter of opinion... Signing a player when you think he's left footed and it turns out he's right footed is completely incompetent. A throw-away comment in an interview means nothing.

The comment was 'a little bit like a young Batistuta'. Not like Batistuta. He might be a little bit like a young Batistuta, I could comment as I never saw a young Batistuta play.

Too much has been made of this...

How old is Kean, and how old is Batistuta?

For gods sake... 'a LITTLE bit like....' Is it that big a deal?

This is the problem with the internet and forums in general. People take the tiniest detail and build it up into a big issue when, frankly, nobody really knows what Formica will turn out to be like and it's a description used in an interview. He might look a little bit like Batistuta in part of his game. Who cares? I just want to see the player play and then I'll see for myself.

• Backroom

Why is this throw-away comment being made such a big deal about? Has anyone here actually seen him play yet? What a pointless thing to bash Kean with...

Because any thing that can be used to bash Kean, will be used it seems. Even his choice of pitchside attire.

Archived