BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NICKO

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The + only system made no sense.

Yes it did, it was the message board rating equivalent of the expression "If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

P.S. Le Chuck, I just went through the transfer thread and had to vote 3 of your posts back up to 0 after some troll has obvioulsy been going through minus 1ning every post they saw. See what I mean now?

P.S. Le Chuck, I just went through the transfer thread and had to vote 3 of your posts back up to 0 after some troll has obvioulsy been going through minus 1ning every post they saw. See what I mean now?

Not really; do you really give a ######?

Might not have been a troll. There were two people in there saying wait until 31st August and I was saying the direct opposite. Cheers all the same.

Is your name LeChuck?

Also it seems odd that someone who PM'ed me a while ago stating "Your opinion is worthless to me" is quoting my posts at all.

You're so precious. If I had my way, you wouldn't post at all; but, if you're going to carry on doing I may lob some bait every now and then. More often than not, you bite.

You're so precious. = "Damn I forgot I said your opinion was worthless and now I've quoted you and you called me on my contradiction"

If I had my way, you wouldn't post at all; but, if you're going to carry on doing I may lob some bait every now and then. More often than not, you bite. = "I'm a troll"

Besides you quoted me so if anything you took my bait.

If people think this site needs a sports journo on board, they'll be at least half a dozen with spare time on their hands after this Sunday :D

I know that was mainly for comic effect, but don't forget we DO have a professional sports journalist on the site. Kamy.

There used to be a 'report a post' button - if I remember correctly. I suggest the admin bring that back. So instead of posters responing to abuse and insults in like manner, they report the post instead, and let admin deal with it.

It's not gone, it's over there

||
/    ||		
<<<<<<</
\

.... we probable get around 5 to 10 reports a day. Lots more if somebody has said something REALLY offensive

I'm sure this is better on ask admin but with respect Glenn I feel that is the nub of the issue. imo The moderation on here does have a certain political bias imo and always has had. The likes of Blue Phil and aesf were damned good posters. They were reasoned and educated individuals with many well formed and valid opinions but the stick and insults they were allowed to suffer from lesser intellects and heavily agenda'd members frequently went beyond the pale. Little or no action from moderation on many occasions was disgraceful. Small wonder they tired of it all.

You may have noticed, we tend to go a lot gentler these days in ICBINF and even let previously taboo subjects like race and religion get discussed as long as they stay within reason boundaries (which normally get broken, resulting in a locked thread, once Waggy spots it in plows in).

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

What he said.

You have just perfectly demonstrated why we removed it last time and why people can't be trusted to use it it was indended. You admitted voted up LeChucks posts, not because you thought they were good posts (the point of the system), but because you didn't he feel should be on -1, regardless of the content. It's not hard, good post = +, bad post = -, indifferent post = leave alone.

You have just perfectly demonstrated why we removed it last time and why people can't be trusted to use it it was indended. You admitted voted up LeChucks posts, not because you thought they were good posts (the point of the system), but because you didn't he feel should be on -1, regardless of the content. It's not hard, good post = +, bad post = -, indifferent post = leave alone.

Glenn, without wanting to get boringly annoying about it, wouldn't having both scores visible make point scoring less likely?

You're so precious. If I had my way, you wouldn't post at all; but, if you're going to carry on doing I may lob some bait every now and then. More often than not, you bite.

If I had my way id feed you to abbey.

He's not got all that much flak at all unless I've missed a lot. Few spats and thats about it. In fact I'd wager the 'abuse' balance is tipped quite strongly in his favour. Anybody who questions or challenges his points immediately opens themselves open to personal attacks by him.

Not true we removed most of it.

You may have noticed, we tend to go a lot gentler these days in ICBINF and even let previously taboo subjects like race and religion get discussed as long as they stay within reason boundaries (which normally get broken, resulting in a locked thread, once Waggy spots it in plows in).

What he said.

Absolutely agree..what are you true blue & white,Le Chuck's bitch?

I'm sure he's a big boy and can cope with the occasional post which gets a negative reaction. Jeez....

Glenn, without wanting to get boringly annoying about it, wouldn't having both scores visible make point scoring less likely?

Possibly. But the reputation system gets an overhaul in the new version of the forum software (out soon we're told) so I simply can't justify too much time hacking it apart in this version. It's something to consider for the next version though.

That's the problem we currently face with moderating at the moment.

Don't bother moderating and threads become unreadable. Do and everyone feels we're censoring them and the remaining posts seem horribly out of context.

I've been struggling with an idea for some time now. People always use the pub as an analogy for a forum, but what happens in a pub is as it gets busier, smaller groups start to form, the loud kids head off into one corner with their alcopops and the old giffers settle down in another with their mild for a game on dominoes. Sure people from the two groups may end up chatting at the bar, but whilst their is lots of common ground between the two groups, people can't be in two places at once, so spend more time with one group or the other. The problem is, on a messageboard everyone CAN be in two places at once, so they obnoxious loud pub bore that you'd normally ignore is CONSTANTLY in EVERYONE'S face (as is the grumpy old timer, and the kid that kicks off because you didn't want "winner stays on" at pool.

They problem is I can't think of a actual solution to this that doesn't result in cliquey elitism.

and the old giffers settle down in another with their mild for a game on dominoes.

Bloomin' eck Glenn. Condescending bugger.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I see no point in the points system at all. I reckon it just frustrates people who try to make a decent post, but still get marked down because of their "reputation" - see how that worked?

......and as for the topic title, Nicko's posts were always interesting, but whether he wants to post again is up to him. When he posts the site is more successful - if you base success on visitor numbers, but when he doesn't post there are more interesting debates. Depends what the Admin want the site to be. I'm not bothered either way.

EDIT... I see that got a -1 :lol:

Anyway, another thought. Improve the site more, by using the qualities that Kamy and Wen Y Hu have brought over the past few months to their full potential . It's obvious that those two, in conjunction with the rest of Admin and Mods, have been trying to move the site forwards and are doing their best for the site - and to me it's showing. Continue to improve the content quality - and the site viewing figures will follow.

That's the problem we currently face with moderating at the moment.

Don't bother moderating and threads become unreadable. Do and everyone feels we're censoring them and the remaining posts seem horribly out of context.

I've been struggling with an idea for some time now. People always use the pub as an analogy for a forum, but what happens in a pub is as it gets busier, smaller groups start to form, the loud kids head off into one corner with their alcopops and the old giffers settle down in another with their mild for a game on dominoes. Sure people from the two groups may end up chatting at the bar, but whilst their is lots of common ground between the two groups, people can't be in two places at once, so spend more time with one group or the other. The problem is, on a messageboard everyone CAN be in two places at once, so they obnoxious loud pub bore that you'd normally ignore is CONSTANTLY in EVERYONE'S face (as is the grumpy old timer, and the kid that kicks off because you didn't want "winner stays on" at pool.

They problem is I can't think of a actual solution to this that doesn't result in cliquey elitism.

Create a thread called 'Curmudgeons Corner' or something of that ilk. Make it strictly members only,offer said invitatations to theno,Jim,Philip and Mercerman then leave to simmer.

Archived