BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reasons for Optimism

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to a chap the other day, doesn’t read the national press, doesn’t go on the web, but gets the local telegraph delivered throughout the week.

Now he’s looking forward to the season, disappointed we haven’t signed as many players as anticipated, but the guys a happy camper.

“Premiership football for £200, whats there to moan about” I had to agree.

I was talking to a chap the other day, doesn’t read the national press, doesn’t go on the web, but gets the local telegraph delivered throughout the week.

Now he’s looking forward to the season, disappointed we haven’t signed as many players as anticipated, but the guys a happy camper.

Cool Story Bro

Your happy go lucky nature must be mirrored in the company you keep.

Most people who I know that only read the back page of the LT rant away at me everytime I see them.

The Rao's got dogs abuse on the Birdy Bus to Morecambe.

Even me dear owd me Grandad was telling me how it all kicked off last week at Roe Lee bowling club over the club's direction- these lads are 70/80+!

Not sure where I'm going with those anecdotes but it aint just brfcs.com where people are pi$$ed off.

Even me dear owd me Grandad was telling me how it all kicked off last week at Roe Lee bowling club over the club's direction- these lads are 70/80+!

Good to hear that the younger generation care about the club.

Reasons for optimism:

1. Formica and Rochina could prove invaluable.

2. Robinson, Samba and Hoilett are still here.

3. Kean and Jensen seem to have impressed the players with their training and vision.

4. A few players said to be joining very soon, the more the merrier.

5. Pre-season ~ the games allowed some players to shine; ball control and passing ability looked good for most of the squad.

6. Pre-season ~ the football does look prettier and hopefully we can still stay solid at the back.

7a. Venky's seem to have had a relationship breakdown with Kentaro/SEM.

7b. It looks doubtful Kean has any more 'get out of jail free cards' he has to prove he can bring home the chicken.

Your happy go lucky nature must be mirrored in the company you keep.

Most people who I know that only read the back page of the LT rant away at me everytime I see them.

The Rao's got dogs abuse on the Birdy Bus to Morecambe.

Not sure where I'm going with those anecdotes but it aint just brfcs.com where people are pi$$ed off.

Its great you know Matty, being happy go lucky, you should try it instead of having a stick up your arse day in day out :tu:

Oi! Rentamob.

This is a thread for those who feel optimistic about the upcoming season not for those who just want to winge and moan about every last bloody thing! If that's all ya want to do sod off and start a " I'm a manic depressive and suicidal thread" ok? God! you really are starting to get on my tits now. :wacko:

Oi! Rentamob.

This is a thread for those who feel optimistic about the upcoming season not for those who just want to winge and moan about every last bloody thing! If that's all ya want to do sod off and start a " I'm a manic depressive and suicidal thread" ok? God! you really are starting to get on my tits now. :wacko:

Sorry if you find reality a bit too hard to take.

What we actually meant to say was that making £22m worth of sales and roughly £5m worth of transfers is the recipe to a fantastic season.

As is losing one of your star players and not really replacing him.

As is sticking with a manager with a record like Kean's last season.

As is going into the season without a sponsor organised.

I think this is going to be a great season.

What we actually meant to say was that making £22m worth of sales and roughly £5m worth of transfers is the recipe to a fantastic season.

TGM

You are entitled to your opinion but as stated, SOD OFF and express it in your own black little world with the rest of the rentamob. Got it now "Doc"? Or do you really not understand the purpose of this thread?

Off the top of my head….

Awesome, inspirational owners who make sensible/logical decisions in the best interests of the club.

Commercially savvy owners evidenced by all these additional income deals/agreements they have brought to the club since last November.

Owners who have continously contradicted themselves and do not know how to commuicate effectively.

A proven manager in charge who has demonstrated he can get results along with minimal financial resources.

A squad which has just lost its best defender, could easily lose their 2nd best defender, and is lacking quality particularly in relation to scoring goals.

As it stands, exiciting times........never know, may all change for the better!

Off the top of my head….

Awesome, inspirational owners who make sensible/logical decisions in the best interests of the club.

Commercially savvy owners evidenced by all these additional income deals/agreements they have brought to the club since last November.

A proven manager in charge who has demonstrated he can get results along with minimal financial resources.

A squad which has just lost it’s best defender, could easily lose their 2nd best defender, and is lacking quality particualry in relation to scoring goals.

As it stands, exiciting times…..

SEE POST ABOVE! :wacko:

Really?

Here's a list of every player we have bought in the last ten years (2001 onward), no loans just permanent signings. The first list is for players sub £4m the small list at the bottom are players bought in for more than £4m...

Benjani

Rochina

Formica*

Goulon

Van Heerden

Lars Jacobsen

Salgado

Linganzi

N'Zonzi

Givet*

Chimbonda

Yildirim

K.Andrews

P.Robinson*

Grella*

E.H.Diouf

Bunn

Fowler

G.Nielsen

Rigters

Vogel

Jeffers

J.Brown

Khizanishvili

Samba

Berner

Roberts*

McCarthy

Ooijer

Warnock

Dunn

Henchoz

Nonda

Kuqi

Bentley

Peter

de Pedro

Djorkaeff

Matteo

Nelsen

Mokoena

Savage*

Pedersen

Dickov

Leonard

M.Gray

B.Ferguson

S.Reid

Emerton

Derbyshire

Enckleman

Amoruso

Stead

Gresko

Sukur

Pelzer

Yorke

D.Thompson

Todd

Greer

Nils-Eric Johansson

Unsal

Tugay

A.Miller

------

Kalinic

Santa Cruz

Bellamy

A.Cole

Grabbi

* = Player was bought for at least £3.5m

So at £4m, I'd say there is a 3 in 5 (60%) chance of getting a successful player, and that is being harsh on Kalinic who has never been played in a system which suits him but anyways.

For players less than four mil' well I won't count Formica/Rochina as it's too early to tell but I counted 18-20 of the rest being good signings in the sense they improved the squad and did well for Rovers in their time here with the rest being awful at worst and a squad filler at best. So that's less than a 1 in 3 chance of buying a successful player for less than £4m (28-31%).

If you asked what the difference was between spending £3.5m on a player and less the gap between the chances widens even further. This is of course quite subjective but you have to go a long way to argue that on average spending less on players is more, or just as, likely to yield positive results.

Can make a pretty good team out of that:

Robinson

Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock

Bentley, Tugay, Savage, Pedersen

Dunn

McCarthy

All I was saying that buying players for cheap gives you more room for error in that you can quickly bring in someone else if it doesn't work out. Splashing your budget on one or two big money signings carries greater risk especially if your squad doesn't have a lot of depth.

Reasons for optimism:

1. Formica and Rochina could prove invaluable. Or they might be flops

2. Robinson, Samba and Hoilett are still here. For the time being

3. Kean and Jensen seem to have impressed the players with their training and vision. The players would be, wouldn't they ?

4. A few players said to be joining very soon, the more the merrier. A few players have been joining all summer .. where are they and are they any good ?

5. Pre-season ~ the games allowed some players to shine; ball control and passing ability looked good for most of the squad. Um, they are footballers, it's what they are supposed to be good at

6. Pre-season ~ the football does look prettier and hopefully we can still stay solid at the back. Best centre half gone, best centre mid gone, let's hope they won't be missed. Pretty football's useless if you're shipping 4 or 5.

7a. Venky's seem to have had a relationship breakdown with Kentaro/SEM. Venky's have a relationship breakdown with everyone except their sycophantic manager

7b. It looks doubtful Kean has any more 'get out of jail free cards' he has to prove he can bring home the chicken. Agreed

Next.

And with more to come,although don't let that affect your prejudice...

That's been our modus operandi for many years sadly.So don't make out like it's a new phenomenum...

In your opinion,some are happy to see if we can crack on this season.

Won't affect what happens on the pitch though will it???

What a surprise..I think we're going to be ok..

Next.

Jim,the world really must look sh!t through your eyes...

What a pathetic set of responses from the usual suspects. Do you like to go up and down the line at Santa's Grotto telling 6 year olds he isn't real?

I've looked forwards to 43 seasons now, no matter how crap we were or what had gone on close season, and I'm not going to stop now because half a dozen bores are determined to impose their views on everyone else by mind-numing repetition.

What a pathetic set of responses from the usual suspects. Do you like to go up and down the line at Santa's Grotto telling 6 year olds he isn't real?

I've looked forwards to 43 seasons now, no matter how crap we were or what had gone on close season, and I'm not going to stop now because half a dozen bores are determined to impose their views on everyone else by mind-numing repetition.

Why are they patheic? How do you know what people are like on a matchday? If people want to moan and groan, or if people want to say we are on the up on here, they are entitled. The pub before Morceambe was full of folk abusing Kean, Venky's, you name it, they all got behind the side on the ground though.

TGM

You are entitled to your opinion but as stated, SOD OFF and express it in your own black little world with the rest of the rentamob. Got it now "Doc"? Or do you really not understand the purpose of this thread?

Ah, the sad jealous man feels the need to bring up my profession again.

I'll keep posting in here thanks.

My world is sunny, life is good apart from my football team which doesn't seem to be so good.

This thread might be entitled "reasons for optimism", but this board is called a "discussion board". That, for the benefit of the hard of thinking like yourself, means this is a board where people discuss and debate things. Such as disagreeing with other people's posts.

You need a dose of reality. Or a brain capable of understanding what's actually going on at our club.

Archived