BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 11/12

Stuart

Just to bring it back up.....Messi best player in the world?? Or just not given enough attention by Spanish sides, who just seem to play gung-ho/ kamikaze football?

3 massive games - Chelsea A, Real H, Chelsea H and no goals in games where he was marked much closer than the likes of Granada/ Gijon or Racing would.

You can tell Venkies not to bother signing him then, just wouldn't fit in with Keano's brand of football.

Ibra ? Good player when he can be bothered. When he can't ( which is quite often ) he reminds me of that Bothroyd tosser we had a few years back.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that while they could easily beat most teams, Barca lack the physicality needed to overcome teams like Chelsea who are all big, strong lads, well organised, and who last night basically camped out in their own area. I would love to see them sign Llorente as he's got a great touch but also carries a threat in the air. It might not have fitted in with their ethos but they could have done with a player like him last night to throw a few crosses into but they were left with little option but to try to pick their way through the tiniest of gaps.

I also think tiredness is a factor - 8 or 9 of that Barca side have been at the business end of every tournament they've played in for the last 5 or 6 years .... European Championships, World Cup, Champions League, La Liga, Copa Del Rey. That must be 50-60 games a season or so?

They very rarely got around the sides of Chelseas's defence. In the first leg they had a very right footed Iniesta playing out on the left wing. He was constantly turned inside into an already congested central midfield. They need a player or two that can get around teams down the flanks. Pedersen will be available shortly, he can catch pigeons, why don't they come in for him ?

Thats just Barcelona with the ball. As soon as they lose it they must be told to foul the opposition within 5 seconds. Not sure how these pundits dont seem to pick up on this

Now c'mon (assuming that the usual dive and scream when they lose possession hasn't fooled the ref into giving them a free kick ) Barca do work like hell to get the ball back. I understand they have a 7 second rule to get the ball back when they lose possession. They are like a pack of wolves.

Now c'mon (assuming that the usual dive and scream when they lose possession hasn't fooled the ref into giving them a free kick ) Barca do work like hell to get the ball back. I understand they have a 7 second rule to get the ball back when they lose possession. They are like a pack of wolves.

Im not denying that they work hard - thats clear to see - but it must be win the ball back or foul them and it tends to be a free kick most of the time.

Just rarely fouls that are worthy of a booking!

The Madrid-Bayern penalty shoot out was possibly the worst I have ever seen. Ramos's was Chris Waddle like.

I think Bayern deserved it.

Ronaldo is a great player but he missed another pen at a crucial moment. He will never be on the very top table for me. Zidane would be though.

Thats just Barcelona with the ball. As soon as they lose it they must be told to foul the opposition within 5 seconds. Not sure how these pundits dont seem to pick up on this

It's called the 6 second rule. They must win the ball back within 6 seconds. Salgado was talking about it on Sky's Spanish football program.

I assume stopping the play restarts the clock :wacko:

The "show pony" just choached again. Petulant prick :D

Good player but a real lazy illegitimate off the ball. He just ambles about waiting for the lesser players to give him the ball back. Bayern had an easy " out ball " all night long on his wing. A pal of mine used to say " A team full of Bobby Charltons would never win a thing ", you could say that about the showpony.

57 goals this season in 51 apps ? Not bad.

Robben's more of a showpony, always jumping in the air like a big girl. A John Bray tackle would sort him out.

John Bray was one of my favourite players as a kid. As I got older I realised Keith Newton was an infinitely more skillful full back but I loved Bray's " up and at'em attitude ". I remember seeing him kick lumps out of Mike Harrison in a full scale first team v reserves practice match. Jack Marshall was reffing, he let Bray nearly murder Harrison ! The first team attack was playing against the first team defence. Ronnie Clayton was marking Dougie as well, interesting battle between those two as well.

Pleased for Bayern and they deserved it over the two legs.

You could tell the media were gagging for Real to go through, so we could have another round of the 'Jose Mourinho Show'. Alas, not this time, Special One. ;)

Fantastic game. I was pleased to see that preening cockatoo Ronaldo exit stage left.

Ronaldo started off on fire, but I was shocked at how quickly he faded out of it.

I was also shocked that Sergio Ramos took a penalty. I'm not a big watcher of Spanish football, but I've never seen him take one before.

What now for Jose ? Winning the Champions League would've been a perfect way to leave Real.

• Backroom

Amazing that Chelsea have made it to the final considering how poor their league form this season has been.

I'm also genuinely surprised at how well RdM has done. You can argue he's had a little bit of luck but their good form has gone on too long now for it to all be luck. To bring their season back from the brink is excellent management - he deserves a shot at the job full time whether they beat Bayern or not IMO. If they do win the CL I don't see how Abramovich can justify not appointing him.

Looks like two exceptionally well-matched sides in the Final and I suspect Chelsea will benefit without having Terry playing.

All to play for in the Allianz but have a sneaking feeling RdM will deliver the trophy Aranovich has always wanted.

Archived