BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 11/12

Stuart

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manchester United look like they'll breeze into the second round. Manchester City will have a reasonably tough test. Arsenal will be quite pleased, could certainly be worse. Chelsea have a reasonably tough draw for a top seed, but all 4 English teams should feel like they have a good chance and you'd certainly expect 3/4 of them to get through and, quite possibly, all 4 (if Manchester City can handle the European tests).

Final Group Stage Draw:

A: Bayern Munich, Villareal, Man City, Napoli

B: Inter Milan, CSKA Moscow, Lille, Trabzonspor

C: Manchester United, Benfica, FC Basel, Otelul Galati

D: Real Madrid, Lyon, Ajax, Dinamo Zagreb

E: Chelsea, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, Genk

F: Arsenal, Marseille, Olympiakos, Dortmund

G: FC Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit St Petersburg, Apoel

H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Bate, Viktoria Plzen

City have a pretty tough group, Napoli, Bayern and Villareal won't be easy. United should easily breeze through that group. Chelsea should progress and Arsenal have some tough games, Dortmund won't be easy.

The daft thing is give or take one or two teams, we could all probably pick out the last 16 now and save months of pointless additional fixtures.

The same pointless additional fixtures which have rendered the League Cup a reserve competition and is threatening to do the same to the FA cup.

Oh, and these same pointless fixtures are also adding to fixture congestion (which impacts everyone) and tiring out the precious England darlings in time for International tournaments.

Bring back the old European cup, with the winner of the League and FA Cup, and have pre-tournament qualifiers for the likes of Genk, Bate, Otelul Galati, and Arsenal.

Did I mention the pointlessness?

I find it completely boring until the knock-out stages.

I too agree the 4th best English team should not be able to enter the competition. I think 1st and 2nd place is just about bearable. If the top teams were less likely to get in the competition then the likelihood is they wouldnt be able to gamble so much on being there - making the EPL more competitive.

Teams like Genk have far more right to be there than Man City.

anyone else bored with the champions down to 4th league?

It's always going to be more boring if you don't have a direct interest in it. It's a fairly good competition that always produces some good games (although, like the World Cup, the semi-finals and final are often fairly dull).

The Europea League is the big problem. Absolutely no reason to watch a game unless your team is in it and half of the teams don't even care. I still say that there is an easy fix for that: automatic qualification for the champions league for the winners. It won't make the cup any more interesting for neutrals, but it will certainly mean that any side involved takes it seriously as for most of them it would be their best chance to qualify for the Champions League. It would also make clubs take domestic cups more seriously and make the final few days of the season far more interesting for all sides who are 5-10. I'd certainly tune in to watch the final with that much at stake, it would be like having to watch the championship play-off final every year.

Its called the Champions league. 2nd, 3rd and 4th shouldn’t be in it. if there are 16 leagues around Europe, you get 16 champions . split them up into 2 groups of 8 and and then top 4 of each group to quarter finals.

That would be as dull as anything. Realistically it would almost always be Spain v England in the final, with the slight possibility of a German or Italy side being in it. Most teams in the group stages would be spanked.

That also then destroys the domestic leagues because it kills off any chance of a smaller side making the champions league and progressing from there.

It would also see a significant drop in revenue for the champions league. It's easy to sell the rights for the games knowing that even the group stages are going to throw up a dozen or so matches between top quality sides, but that format would see only 3-5 teams capable of finishing in the top 4 in England or Spain.

That also then destroys the domestic leagues because it kills off any chance of a smaller side making the champions league and progressing from there.

I think that ship has sailed!

I remember when the UEFA CUP was actually a prestigious competition. I still remember watching our games against Lyon in 1998, and Celtic in 2002 on BBC 1. I guess nowadays it would be relegated to ITV4 or some other non-channel.

Change it's name back to the European Cup for one thing, total misnomer.

And come off it Eddie, the group stages are just a money making procession, minnows get spanked and a good payday, your top teams stroll through, three months that are a complete waste of time.

In fact, I hate it all, it has ruined the domestic game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Valencia v Chelsea

First chelsea attack after 3 mins and Torres is fouled in the penalty area.

Commentator said "The referee would have had second thoughts about giving a penalty because HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO RED CARD the defender who committed the foul".

This is what is wrong with the game; where refs are instructed to do this and that in the event of this and that.

The simple laws of the game should be applied and the ref should be allowed to use his discretion.

I would have given a penalty kick and NO CARD.

• 1 month later...

Archived