BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 11/12

Stuart

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I for one am hoping that Bayern get through - I would hate for either that preening tosser Ronaldo or that brainless, overrated carthorse Terry to be lifting the trophy.

Barca are still the best team in Europe (although Real have closed the gap significantly) but as someone said they struggle when faced by a team who've got 10 men stood in a line across their area. Lost count of the number of times I was shouting "just bloody shoot ffs" at the telly though as they seemed to want to pass it in all the time. Well done Chelsea though, they defended superbly.

Glen Hoddle; "Barcelona need to find a different way to play" (against ten men).

What?

I always thought Hoddle, like most other TV pundits, talked a load of old ###### but this one takes the biscuit. All Barcelona need to do is carry on playing the way they always do and trust that the law of averages will allow them to win the tie the other 99 times out of 100!

And did you hear Gary Neville when Torres scored? Funniest piece of co-commentary ever.

Well done Chelsea.

Proven one trick ponies unable to adjust their style of play.

If Messi is off form they struggle. Barcelona and Guardiola have been over-hyped for years and their constant passing is extremely dull to watch. I dislike Chelsea but I'm glad they are in the final where I hope they will play Real. I would hate to see Bayern lift the trophy in front of their arrogant fans and Mourinho facing his old club in the final would be a good story.

I'm not normally picky about footballers characters and private lives etc but if Di Matteo is still manager by the summer I'd expect him to take the Captaincy off John Terry. No doubt that Spaniard had done something to provoke Terry by nipping the back of his leg or stamping on his foot etc but that is just part and parcel of the game that Referees who have not played to any sort of standard miss seeing. Kneeing someone up the arse is not just stupid it is completely unprofessional. Above all else being unprofessional is a cardinal sin for a team captain.

• Backroom

Not sure why anyone's supporting Chelsea...barely anything English about them, and Barcelona are the much better footballing side.

I wanted Chelsea to win mainly becuase on another forum I frequent all Barca fans seem to think anyone who doesn't play football like they do is a disgrace to the game and they are a bit self righteous.

Barca play some amazing stuff but also a lot of dull stuff IMO watching a team play 52 square passes along the edge of a box can get tiresome.

And yes I had to rewind a few times to listen to Neville's excited moment

Terry is a thug and mostly gets away with it in the PL but in Europe or playing for England he's often at risk of a red card.

Messis should have been redcarded for pushing Lampard - I hear that 'you can't raise your hands' crap enough. Hang on it's Golden Boy so can't even book him.

Ermmmm Chelsea is in London which is still I think in England and Barcelona is in Spain. I have no idea how Chelsea did it but I even cheered when Blondie scored.

If Messi is off form they struggle. Barcelona and Guardiola have been over-hyped for years and their constant passing is extremely dull to watch. I dislike Chelsea but I'm glad they are in the final where I hope they will play Real. I would hate to see Bayern lift the trophy in front of their arrogant fans and Mourinho facing his old club in the final would be a good story.

Couldn't disagree more with this. But totally agree with the rest of your post. Fair play to Chelsea for digging in, but Barcelona would have won that tie the other 99 times if they'd played it 100 times. They must have hit the woodwork 7 or 8 times over the two legs.They hardly 'struggled'.

• Backroom

Barca play some amazing stuff but also a lot of dull stuff IMO watching a team play 52 square passes along the edge of a box can get tiresome.

I was thinking similar watching Swansea play QPR a couple of weeks back... Swansea play some nice stuff by my God are they boring to watch.

I think that while they could easily beat most teams, Barca lack the physicality needed to overcome teams like Chelsea who are all big, strong lads, well organised, and who last night basically camped out in their own area. I would love to see them sign Llorente as he's got a great touch but also carries a threat in the air. It might not have fitted in with their ethos but they could have done with a player like him last night to throw a few crosses into but they were left with little option but to try to pick their way through the tiniest of gaps.

I also think tiredness is a factor - 8 or 9 of that Barca side have been at the business end of every tournament they've played in for the last 5 or 6 years .... European Championships, World Cup, Champions League, La Liga, Copa Del Rey. That must be 50-60 games a season or so?

• Moderation Lead

Apologies if this has been posted already- but I can't help but think, for all their possession, there was such a lack of a cutting edge up front, and indeed a 'plan B'.

I daresay if they'd had Drogba (or a player of his ilk), to hold the ball up, and knock long balls up to, they'd have gone through....

Barcelona, for all their brilliance, have a relatively thin squad. They did try to change things up a few years back with the signing of Ibrahimovic (a big lad who is also a brilliant footballer) and it simply didn't work as they thought it would. That said, perhaps Ibrahimovic's selfish nature didn't fit into the team ethos. Llorente wouldn't be a bad shout, he is a cracking player.

Just to bring it back up.....Messi best player in the world?? Or just not given enough attention by Spanish sides, who just seem to play gung-ho/ kamikaze football?

3 massive games - Chelsea A, Real H, Chelsea H and no goals in games where he was marked much closer than the likes of Granada/ Gijon or Racing would.

Just to bring it back up.....Messi best player in the world?? Or just not given enough attention by Spanish sides, who just seem to play gung-ho/ kamikaze football?

3 massive games - Chelsea A, Real H, Chelsea H and no goals in games where he was marked much closer than the likes of Granada/ Gijon or Racing would.

14 goals in 11 Champions League games, 41 league goals in 33 games in the best league in the world would suggest nothing more than he's having a 3 game bad spell to me.

I daresay if they'd had Drogba (or a player of his ilk), to hold the ball up, and knock long balls up to, they'd have gone through....

They should never have got rid of Ibra in my opinion. Gave them that physical presence and a focal point for their attacks.

Hughesy he is the best in the world. He had an off night and still nearly scored 4. He IS a big player in the big matches - look at his career to date, not just the past three games.

Liam Ridgewell would eat him alive in the PL.

And did you hear Gary Neville when Torres scored? Funniest piece of co-commentary ever.

I did and it was hilarious. I am not a fan of him commentating as he doesn't sound right but he had me laughing yesterday. He was wittering on about nothing then saw Torres was in and he got a tad excited.

He played his whole career at Man U but was Mr. Chelsea last night.

Barcelona, for all their brilliance, have a relatively thin squad. They did try to change things up a few years back with the signing of Ibrahimovic (a big lad who is also a brilliant footballer) and it simply didn't work as they thought it would. That said, perhaps Ibrahimovic's selfish nature didn't fit into the team ethos. Llorente wouldn't be a bad shout, he is a cracking player.

I am a Milanista, and I make no apologies for being vocal in my praise of Ibra.

I'm a big fan. Vastly underrated especially by English fans and media.

His spell in Barca, was largely a success (7 in 7 at one point- If I remember correctly- and a winner against Real)

until Messi and Guardiola discovered Messi would have more space and be far more devastating as a 'False 9.'

From that moment, Barca were brilliant and unsurprisingly Ibra and Guardiola fell out.

Ibra certainly would have made a difference against Chelsea. The lack of a Barca 'Plan B' is evident. They were also lop-sided.

Barca are a great side, but they are a long way from being the "best ever."

Archived