BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

Pitty

Sad news! I started following Rovers in 2003, just after Emerton had arrived, so for me that is the last player to leave from that era!

Strange feeling! =/

Good luck Brett! Thanks for alot of good moments, and of course; Your Loyalty! A rare thing these days... :unsure:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What when everyone's walking out?

Actually scratch that, it's probably a clever ruse to prevent booing at full time!

I trust that is tongue in cheek, Jisty.

Having said that, I expected someone to come up with that little gem. I am becoming more and more disappointed at the way some people I considered to be sensible are behaving. I know these are difficult times etc etc but it's getting a bit silly now.

I don't understand why Emerton is being allowed to leave on a 'free' (apart from freeing up his wages) when his experience and versatility is very much in need... if anyone can explain I'd be grateful :tu:

If, as has been reported, he will be playing his last game on Saturday I hope he gets a good reception from everyone.

Sad to see Brett go, he was a good squad member and always put in a good shift wherever he played. Can't forget the crucial goals he scored at the end of last season that thankfully kept us up. Best time has got to be his link-up play from right-back with Bentley during our most successful period under Hughes. He's never been quite the same player since his serious knee injury a few seasons back but still a good experienced player to have in the squad.

We're currently bottom of the league.

He played a very useful role at the end of last season when we had plummetted down the division.

Have we replaced him?

If he's going on a free, why not wait till his contract is up at the end of the season?

Asset stripping? A 32 year-old who's been struggling with injuries and would cost peanuts?

I do wonder what some people are smokin'.

Anyway, I'll be disappointed to see him go. He never did live up to his debut, but he has been a loyal and dedicated pro for Rovers and our squad will be weaker without him. I'd rather he'd at least see out the season till January before going home, but alas.

He was never as good as we thought he was going to be, after that Wolves game 2003 I though we had bought a player that could go on to play for a top team and be an ewood legend.

That was an amazing debut. I know we were only playing Wolves, and everyone had a belter, but Emerton looked different class. Thought maybe we wouldn't miss Duff that much, after all. But I can't recall him ever having another game like that.

It's a shame to see him go, he's one of my favourite Rovers players due to the amount of effort he consistently puts in. He may not be the most talented player, but I believe he is our best right back and should be there ahead of Salgado. He is also useful on the wing when we need to be a little more solid against tougher teams, and can even do well as a battling midfielder.

It seems like a very poor move. If it is his decision and he really wanted to leave then fair enough, but if not, we really could have done with holding onto him.

Things seem to be going from bad to worse for us, I can only hope that things might begin to look better soon.

Thanks Brett for putting in the labour for our cause. :brfc:

• Backroom

Disappointing news.

Emerton never really lived up to his potential here - he never really adapted to the right-wing role, and wasn't played at right-back regularly, where he seemed to perform better.

He's been loyal to the club and worked his socks off every time his been on the pitch - can't fault his attitude or commitment, regardless of the fact he didn't fulfil his ability.

I don't like that we're letting him leave on a free, at a time when we need experience, but if he's leaving for family reasons then fair enough. Good luck to him, I appreciate the service he's given us, and the fact he was always overrated on FM.

Great player to have in the squad and is the best right back at the club by a country mile sad to see him go. Hopefully we will bring in a defender who can play right back because Salgado is no better than Micheal Gray at the moment. Always bombing up field putting in horrific crosses and then struggling to get back, it amazes me how someone with so much experience can get wrong footed every single time.

I am disappointed to see him go but if as stated is for family reasons is understandable and will leave with my blessing been an absolute legend his versatility will be sorely missed also think P.Jones etc could learn a thing or 2 about loyalty and that the grass is not always greener on the other side will be disappointed to lose him just hope we replace him if he does go and thanks for the loyalty & commitment to the cause and good luck for the future.

Great player to have in the squad and is the best right back at the club by a country mile sad to see him go. Hopefully we will bring in a defender who can play right back because Salgado is no better than Micheal Gray at the moment. Always bombing up field putting in horrific crosses and then struggling to get back, it amazes me how someone with so much experience can get wrong footed every single time.

Salgado was our 3rd best player last season (as voted by the fans), he has 2 bad games and already the torches are out? Are people bored of Pedersen/Roberts being the scapegoats or something and need a 3rd to replace Andrews? I'm sad to see Emerton go but in my opinion he's never been a satisfactory right-back, mainly because he can't defend properly. Thats the reason none of our last 4 managers have been happy with him there on a regular basis. He was a good reserve for Salgado, played well at right-wing last season and can also play centre-mid. Thats the reason I'll miss him, not because he's a better right-back than a 2-times champions league winner.

Emmo is a favourite of mine so I'm desperately sad to see him go. That said, if a player wants out, especially in this circumstance (a chance to play on his home league), it's not worth standing in his way. His tenure to the club earns him that level of respect.

Just a shame it's Sydney FC.

He's been a great servant to the club.

Thanks Emmo.

Brett was never as good as we thought he was going to be when we signed him as a winger but I thought he was always excellent at right back. Used to enjoy watching him there when he had Bentley in front of him.

He's done nothing wrong under Kean and was superb at the end of last season.

It seems Ribeiro was signed in order to push Emerton out. You have to wonder if someone somewhere got a sweetener on the Ribeiro deal...

Am I right in thinking he's leaving us as the longest serving player at Rovers (excluding Dunn, because of his time at Birmingham)? He joined in 2003, signed by Souness, and has been a consistently reliable player for us in a number of positions, never complaining - to my knowledge - when 'rested' or asked to play out of his preferred position. If its true that he really is on his way and Everton will be his last game for us I hope he gets a great reception. Probably one of the slowest wingers the PL has ever seen but a true pro, a nice bloke by all accounts, and a great servant of the club. Good luck, Bert!

Archived