BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

Pitty

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the years service, shame to see him go. Never moaned about being left out of the team and when called upon always did his best. I think at times Bert was a confidence player, he used to shy away from taking people on at time, though when he had a few good games he'd play well. He certainly was crucial to our survival last season, creating and scoring a few vital goals. I'll always remember his debut, I thought we had a superstar, he never quite lived up to that match, but was mostly solid and had some great moments for us. Can't blame him for wanting to end his career in his own country, hope he does well for Sydney.

It's funny how "loyal" average players can be, isn't it? What's the point in pretending that Emerton has had opportunities to leave and turned them down to stay with Rovers, when we all know we've been by far his best option over the last 8 years? The loyalty in this situation has been from Rovers to him, his performances have scarcely been good enough.

That said, he always gave his all, I can't deny that. But then, so did Andrews, and I wont miss him either.

Sad to see Bert go, I was looking forward to him getting a well deserved testimonial. A very loyal man, a "quiet" player who is a grafter but shines when needs arise. What makes him stand out from other players is that he is a true professional athlete who has excelled while many more talented have failed. While he is not as gifted as, say, EH Diouf or his former team mate David Bentley he has made so much more of his career - Feyenoord, followed by 8 years for a Premier League team with a few semi-finals and some top ten finishes, a great International career - 2 World Cups and his unfairly enforced absence was arguably the difference between Australia nearly making the quarter-finals in '06. He has been a great servant to Rovers, never complained, never had a tantrum at other players or officials, never sulked on the pitch, always acknowledged the fans. He quite rightly says that football has been good to him - well he has been good to football and exemplifies that you get out what you put in.

After his injury he made a great return at the end of last season with some cracking goals that probably kept us up and I was looking forward to Bert Mk IV this season. However, this is a great move for him, career and family wise, 8 years of Lancs weather versus Sydney sunshine - no contest! The timing may seem suspect to some and there are inevitable silly jibes at Kean and Venky's but the A-League season is due to kick-off in 4 weeks, enough time to move and get settled in for the start of the season.

Hugely respected over here as shown by how the media has been all over this in the last day, I will cheer his entrance when he visits Hindmarsh - I'm very thankful he didn't sign with Melbourne Victory though!

Best of luck Brett and thanks for everything.

In some ways Brett exemplifies what the Rovers are. Unassuming, dependable, effective, not spectacular, somewhat unfashionable but capable of surprising skill,roducing more than his talent by hard work and commitment. Not really concerned about comparisons with more fancy dan type players nor feeling in any way inferior..just getting on with it..and placing family high in his list of priorities. All qualities you could ascribe to our football club, and be proud of. But we have become discontented with these virtues: placing an aspiration to be like flashier company higher than our determination to be the best example of a family club we can be. And I don't mean being content to be also rans..we didn't lose our values when Uncle Jack lead us to the Premiership.

Brilliant servant for the club for the past 8 years, hopefully he gets the good reception he deserves on Saturday

I remember watching him make his debut in a pre-season friendly at Blackpool - and thought we had bought a real world beater. This was followed up by an excellent home debut against Wolves. Only occasionally has he hit those same early season highs - but he has been a dependable and hard working player. I also think that many underestimate his skill.

His loyalty to the club is admirable - as demonstrated by his kind words in leaving. I hope we can send him off with a victory and I am sure he will get a great send off from Ewood. Good luck Brett - very sorry that you are going - but thanks for the last eight years.

I remember watching him make his debut in a pre-season friendly at Blackpool - and thought we had bought a real world beater. This was followed up by an excellent home debut against Wolves. Only occasionally has he hit those same early season highs - but he has been a dependable and hard working player. I also think that many underestimate his skill.

His loyalty to the club is admirable - as demonstrated by his kind words in leaving. I hope we can send him off with a victory and I am sure he will get a great send off from Ewood. Good luck Brett - very sorry that you are going - but thanks for the last eight years.

I would agree with that 100% and at the moment, a player capable of giving us a game, left, right or centre mid or full back!

Would have been a very handy squad player.

Farewell Bert.Thanks for the memories and good luck back in your homeland.

I'm sorry that at times you suffered at the hands of some of our more idiotic fans like Andrews and Pedersen to name but two others,but I always admired your work ethic and loyalty.

All the best...

It's funny how "loyal" average players can be, isn't it? What's the point in pretending that Emerton has had opportunities to leave and turned them down to stay with Rovers, when we all know we've been by far his best option over the last 8 years? The loyalty in this situation has been from Rovers to him, his performances have scarcely been good enough.

That said, he always gave his all, I can't deny that. But then, so did Andrews, and I wont miss him either.

One of the most mean-spirited posts I've had the misfortune to read...

we don't often agree yeti but on this I'm with you 100%. Brett's been loyal and hardworking for 8 years and not once kicked up a fuss. True professional and I can't understand how anyone would wish him anything but the best as he's moving home with the blessing of the club.

we don't often agree yeti but on this I'm with you 100%. Brett's been loyal and hardworking for 8 years and not once kicked up a fuss. True professional and I can't understand how anyone would wish him anything but the best as he's moving home with the blessing of the club.

Pleased you found something you could agree with me on.. ;)

Better be careful Balwer,we'll be drinking buddies next!

On a serious note,I've always had a soft spot for Emerton but can totally understand his desire to go home and I'm pleased the club showed some class by not trying to stand in his way.

Shame we couldn't keep him until end of season or even January until the new players have had a bit of time to get used to the Prem because he is a versatile player with a lot of Prem experience.

Good article on Rovers website though, guess when he leaves he becomes one of us (Rovers fan). Wonder if we'll see him posting here. :D

Saw someone trying to get #EmertonForCaptain trending on twitter as a campaign to give Brett the Captain's armband v Everton this Sat, would be a nice touch if we could do that.

My main memory is that goal v Wolves last match of last season.

Thanks Brett.

Agree, from the debate the other day it's clear he doesn't appreciate loyalty, professionalism or effort much, nevermind Emerton just simply seeming to be a good human being

Fist of all good luck to him, he has been a solid servent for Rovers for many years. Reliable, honest and always came across as a good hardworking guy, always thought his best position was RB or more recently in them tickier games in front of Salgado in order to protect him. Brett goes with my best wishes and my only disapointment is that he is one of the experienced players we will desperately need over the coming season.

Also hes been a mainstay in my FM and CM teams for many a year now I even used to sign him before he played for Rovers, on that front he'll be missed too.

In some ways Brett exemplifies what the Rovers are. Unassuming, dependable, effective, not spectacular, somewhat unfashionable but capable of surprising skill,roducing more than his talent by hard work and commitment. Not really concerned about comparisons with more fancy dan type players nor feeling in any way inferior..just getting on with it..and placing family high in his list of priorities. All qualities you could ascribe to our football club, and be proud of. But we have become discontented with these virtues: placing an aspiration to be like flashier company higher than our determination to be the best example of a family club we can be. And I don't mean being content to be also rans..we didn't lose our values when Uncle Jack lead us to the Premiership.

You should post more often.

"Emerton returning home" is headline news here on the tv and the papers.

As far as i am concerned he always gave 100% and i'd have happily have him stay at Rovers for the rest of the season and maybe get a decent run at right back!!

If it's time to go home for him and his family then it's the right thing to do.

Who knows i may even bump into him.

Archived