BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

Pitty

I think he's chosen a good time to return home; he still has enough to be a big success over here. I was critical of him at times last season but he really turned up at the death and made a welcome contribution to our "big escape".

He's always been a genuine and honest player, I wish him all the best. I'm sure he'll get a big farewell on Saturday.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad to see Bret go. Never our best player but always the hardest working, and in the last few seasons he's done well wherever we needed him. I'd still rather play him at RB than Salgado, he had a few really good games sitting in defensive midfield, and his ball for Rochina's goal on Wednesday was quality.

Hope he gets to wear the armband tomorrow and those of you who are able to make the game give him a proper sendoff, regardless of your feelings for him.

Farewell Brett.

Everyone mentions the Wolves game and that was his biggest problem.

People like Stephen Reid, Flitcroft, Sherwood all made slow, rather inconspicuous starts to their Rovers careers. They then improved and became known as a steady, all round versatile memeber of the team.

Due to the fact that Brett looked like a world beater on his debut people always think of him as wasted talent rather than the steady Premiership player he was (is).

Farewell Brett.

Everyone mentions the Wolves game and that was his biggest problem.

People like Stephen Reid, Flitcroft, Sherwood all made slow, rather inconspicuous starts to their Rovers careers.

I remember Flitroft's start to his career - he was sent off after about five minutes for elbowing Duncan Ferguson! We applauded him on, then applauded him off again. As inconspicuous as he later became... :)

Best of luck to Brett - share most people's opinions of his ability - but you can't question his loyalty over the years. Give him a chance to play competitively in the A-League while he can

• Moderation Lead

Best of luck to Brett. The goal he scored at Wolves away last season will always be my fondest memory of the guy.

He played a bigger part than (at the time) I gave him credit for in our survival last season.

It's funny how "loyal" average players can be, isn't it? What's the point in pretending that Emerton has had opportunities to leave and turned them down to stay with Rovers, when we all know we've been by far his best option over the last 8 years? The loyalty in this situation has been from Rovers to him, his performances have scarcely been good enough.

That said, he always gave his all, I can't deny that. But then, so did Andrews, and I wont miss him either.

you are a joke...... he doesn't shine, but he had always been one of the foundation of the team for years. if ever you recall...... during the ince period, he was one of the few players that continue to push on and motivate the team, took on the resposibilty despite demoralizing times. Last season when we were on verge of relegation, he was there once again.....

If you've got nothing kind to say to this loyal, commited, professional person.... i assume nobody would mind you not contributing to this thread eh??

Sherwood all made slow, rather inconspicuous starts to their Rovers careers. They then improved and became known as a steady, all round versatile memeber of the team.

Many people didn't realise just how good Sherwood was, and how integral to the team he was, until he left, will the same apply to Emerton?

Guest Rovers4Good

Brett was a top servant to this club and yes he didn't live up to all the hype before he arrived but his commitment and service to Rovers was 2nd to none and i wish him all the very best for the future as he's a top bloke and very down to earth as well. :)

Good luck Brett and thanks. :)

KEAN: Sad to lose Emo

"It is sad for the club, but he's at a point in his career where it isn't really a football decision," said Kean.

"Brett's wife is from Sydney and they've young children that they want to get into schools over there, so more than anything it has been a family decision not a footballing one.

"We are losing a great player who has been fantastic over his time here with the club so it is disappointing on the football front, but when a player comes to you and asks you to consider it you have to look at it a different way."

If that was truly the situation, I must give Kean a little credit for that, much as I hate the (&^^(&(&)(

Many people didn't realise just how good Sherwood was, and how integral to the team he was, until he left, will the same apply to Emerton?

Indeed, for once have to agree with you there and Mark Atkins as Dalglish stated on many ocassions, got the ball forward more quickly than any other player at that time, but yes Tim Sherwood was a top player, scored important goals and worked really hard for the team.

If that was truly the situation, I must give Kean a little credit for that, much as I hate the (&^^(&(&)(

Indeed, for once have to agree with you there and Mark Atkins as Dalglish stated on many ocassions, got the ball forward more quickly than any other player at that time, but yes Tim Sherwood was a top player, scored important goals and worked really hard for the team.

Kelbo,well done on being able to praise Kean for his response to this (which seems spot on)despite your aversion to him.

I respect people who able to do this.

you are a joke...... he doesn't shine, but he had always been one of the foundation of the team for years. if ever you recall...... during the ince period, he was one of the few players that continue to push on and motivate the team, took on the resposibilty despite demoralizing times. Last season when we were on verge of relegation, he was there once again.....

If you've got nothing kind to say to this loyal, commited, professional person.... i assume nobody would mind you not contributing to this thread eh??

I don't think anyone would miss you if you never contributed to another thread again, whoever you are....

Agreed, don't like the bloke and don't want him as our manager but it's a pretty classy gesture on his behalf. Considering how tenuous his own situation at the club is and how threadbare the squad has been it would have been easy for him to refuse the request and make him see the season out.

• Backroom

Bret definitely deserved a better send off, but in some ways he must be relieved to be escaping this sinking ship. He'll know as well as the rest of us that we're only going one way...

Good luck, Brett. Hope all goes well for you and your family'

Thank you for your loyal service over these past seasons.

I think we will miss your abilities. It may take us some time to replace you adequately.

Sad end today for the best right back in the club but he's an intelligent man and perhaps he sees the writing on the wall for Rovers with regards to our Premier League future.

Was playing the best football of his career until that unfortunate knee injury a couple of years ago and I felt he never quite got back to that level but a steady and athletic performer whose experience will be missed. Best wishes to him and his departure as far as I'm concerned is another nail in the Rovers coffin.

I may not have read this thread enough but how do we let a versatile first team player still under contract walk away from the club when we need him the most.

I give Brett my full best wishes for the future but I dont understand how a player we really need can just bugger off and go home because he wants to.

Am I missing something here, do we have a versatile prem player that can play at least 3 positions with bucketloads of prem experience just waiting to play in the reserves or something or are we signing 3 players to cover.

This just is'nt right.

This just is'nt right.

You're correct it isn't from several standpoints. While I'm happy to accept the following from Kean:

"It is sad for the club, but he's at a point in his career where it isn't really a football decision," said Kean.

"Brett's wife is from Sydney and they've young children that they want to get into schools over there, so more than anything it has been a family decision not a footballing one.

"We are losing a great player who has been fantastic over his time here with the club so it is disappointing on the football front, but when a player comes to you and asks you to consider it you have to look at it a different way."

I do not believe it to be the cause. SOMETHING has happened in the last week or so. I don't know what, someone out there will. You don;t just up sticks as a family in this manner, it takes time to plan etc. etc. Anyone on here with young children in the same situation would understand it. If this was announced at the end of last season I could see it but if Emerton is the model pro we know him to be does anyone truly believe he simply walked into the manager's office to announce he needs to go back Sydney for the reasons Kean gives above. This is more absolute rubbish from Kean.

I'm convinced there has been a falling out, the Emerton family have looked at the situation; his contract is up next year, perhaps an offer came in from Sydney FC (headhunted!) and Mr and Mrs Emerton thought "do we need all this hassle?" to which the obvious answer is "No."

Good luck Bert. You did the job well for us, you'll be badly missed at Ewood this year. Especially as we may well need a right back.

Archived