BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ewood Park - Hall of Fame

Stuart

If the club were looking to create a hall of fame list of club legends to adorn the walls of the stands, who would you pick and why?

For me, I would kick us off with:

douglas4.jpg

Bryan Douglas - A club stalwart, who gave his career to Rovers despite being an England international. Scoring 100 goals in over 400 games over 17 years. A club legend if ever there was one. Perhaps one to have the Darwen end named after.

garner.jpg

Simon Garner - Our greatest ever goalscorer, with a prolific record potentially never to be replicated at Rovers. Stuck with Rovers becoming a cult hero in the days when you could probably have a game of snooker with him in a local WMC.

hendry_5.jpg

Colin Hendry - Two spells at the club the second of which he described as "coming home". Became captain marvel throwing his head where others wouldn't put their boots. The man who Phil Jones might have been. Won the Full Members Cup first time round and came back to help us win the Premier League title.

Do you have anyone more (or equally) deserving? Who would be in your top 10?

Matt Jansen for me.

Granted he wasn't on the same levels as Shearer, but he played vital roles in the Carling Cup win and Promotion, was very unfortunate and rejected United. Granted he didn't do half as much as a lot of people already mentioned, but personally I think he represents the modern Rovers fans.

As players braddock like Hendry and Shearer. Tony Parkes is a legend who ranks above the players who left.

So Jansen doesn't get in because he was no longer good enough for us?

Or just because he wasn't good enough in the first place? (which is fair I guess, although how many strikers would get in?)

Or he does get in?

So Jansen doesn't get in because he was no longer good enough for us?

Or just because he wasn't good enough in the first place? (which is fair I guess, although how many strikers would get in?)

Or he does get in?

When you look at Jansen his longevity at the club, it is a pretty short period compared to others, plus his self inflicted injury which stopped his career from progressing further has to rule Jansen out.

When you look at Jansen his longevity at the club, it is a pretty short period compared to others, plus his self inflicted injury which stopped his career from progressing further has to rule Jansen out.

A fair opinion.

Not sure if I agree though.

I could understand his omission, I could understand his inclusion.

Ally Macleod

Bob Crompton

John Lewis?

Dougie

Bob Pryde

Tim Flowers

Tugay

Howard Kendal maybe?

Faz

Mick McGrath?

Noel Brotherston

Only saw him at Ewood for three maybe four years but and if we really want to know the difference between hoofball and long ball, the best left foot in the game, Waggy, Dave Wagstaff could hit a 50 yard ball and the player recieving the ball didnt have to move,

scored some great goals for us too, he really was a legend for me!

Top of any list for me would have to be Bob Crompton. Over 20 years as a player, then a director, and two spells as manager. Two League Championships as captain, an F.A. Cup win and a Second Division Championship as a manager. The most capped player of his generation. Quite simply the guy devoted the majority of his life to Blackburn Rovers and died while still in post as manager.

My opening top ten would be:

Bob Crompton

Ronnie Clayton

Bryan Douglas

Derek Fazackerley

Tony Parkes

Simon Garner

Alan Shearer

Bill Eckersley

Jack Bruton

Tugay

Special places would have to be given to Jack Walker and Lawrence Cotton - two guys who built the club in exactly the same way but 80 odd years apart.

For anyone who can remember him Bill Eckersley has got to be included. His entire career with Rovers and England was at Rovers. I would also include Tommy Briggs and Andy McEvoy.

Archived