BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews football legend

I always liked him...........largely because he took some terrible stick. He's still unappreciated:

"It came as a bit of a bolt out of the blue as I featured heavily in pre-season. It's all been a little bit strange.

"It was a decision they made and they obviously made it very clear I wasn't wanted at the football club."

After featuring in both of Bolton's opening fixtures of the season, Andrews became aware of Brighton's interest on Thursday afternoon.

"From there it happened very quickly and I arrived in Brighton on Friday evening," the Republic of Ireland international added.

"Nobody really had the decency to even phone me as I was leaving."

"I think I deserve a little bit more respect than that, I suppose. I always felt I'd done things well at that club, been very professional and treated people like I like to be treated.

"To end on that note was a bit sour but you can't be surprised by anything in football."

As Ince signed him - he was always on a hiding to nothing at Rovers.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Ince signed him - he was always on a hiding to nothing at Rovers.

Also signed Robbo, the fans loved him.

It was more to do with the fact he was rubbish IMO, but I will agree if the fans get their knives into you at Blackburn, you'll likely never recover.

You can't say he didn't try. He was pretty rubbish but he did try. Never mind, the boo boys have a replacement in that Lowe.

I think I'm one of the few who thinks he wasn't only lacking in talent but was a lazy sod. For me he just seemed to jog around pointing his finger. I can't remember a time when he got stuck in or actually ran anywhere. He was like a kid who was afraid his Mum would tell him off if his uniform came home dirty. I remember one game him actually ducking from a ball, which ended up in the back of our net. And then there was that cock up with Pedersen leading to by far the most effort I witnessed him put into anything when he needlessly gave the ball to an opposition player, in our box, then took him out with a drop kick, conceding a penalty.

At least Lowe runs, and tackles.

Andrews best games were as a makeshift defender oddly enough. He gained the ability to head the ball for those few games.

Well he was in our team that finished 10th in 2009/10, and I don't reckon we'll beat that for a couple of decades. So either he was carried by N'Zonzi all season or fans are massively exaggerating how bad he was. Its funny, I've been at games where N'Zonzi got dogs abuse as well.

Whats also funny is our other apparently garbage players were heavily involved as well. Roberts was our most played striker that season and Chimbonda our most played right-back. Personally I think those fans who were against Allardyce's style were just massively critical of whatever they could get their hands on back then. Which is why it winds me up when some demand no negativity now.

Chimbonda was almost as bad as Andrews. God how many goals was he at fault for? A good number in the Villa Carling Cup semi-final and a fair few in the 7-1 United game for a start.

Andrews just let players run past him, it was embarassing to watch.

Roberts did a job, just can't be played as a lone striker cos he's not a finisher.

Everyone was critical of Andrews, apart from Jonnolad. Stop making things up to suit your tedious agenda.

Chimbonda was almost as bad as Andrews. God how many goals was he at fault for? A good number in the Villa Carling Cup semi-final and a fair few in the 7-1 United game for a start.

Andrews just let players run past him, it was embarassing to watch.

Roberts did a job, just can't be played as a lone striker cos he's not a finisher.

Everyone was critical of Andrews, apart from Jonnolad. Stop making things up to suit your tedious agenda.

Assume that was aimed at me?

The criticism of Andrews reached utterly disgraceful levels. I've no idea why this is at the top of the board but if people wanna keep bringing up an issue that many should in the end be slightly ashamed of then so be it, but don't keep expecting a pat on the back from those of us who stayed quiet and just got on with supporting the team in an excellent season.

I couldn't give a rat's arse who "everyone" was critical of. Fans know **** all and I'll happily include myself in that statement. If a top drawer manager like Allardyce consistently picked him, and still got results, then I will always assume he was good at things that are missed by your average delinquent on the terraces who couldn't even manage a sunday league team.

He only played him due to injuries. On occasion he had no option but to pick him as he couldn't field nobody. And most of the time midfield was the last thing on Big Sam's mind anyway.

He was absolutely keaning awful. And as I saw it with my own eyes when he played I'll always assume you suffer from bad eyesight or weren't there to witness it. It doesn't take much to see that someone who doesn't tackle, doesn't go up for headers, jogs around without bringing any meaningful movement to the team and can't pass the ball successfully to a team mate isn't a very good player.

As for N'Zonzi, he was a brilliant player until he seemed to fall out with Allardyce pre-season over something I can't remember. He got dropped by the manager and then when he returned he was never quite the same player. I don't remember him getting dogs abuse at all though and got player of the season so the crowd couldn't have hated him that much. Same with Roberts, though he was infuriating when you needed a goal and he'd fluff a one on one with the keeper. His first touch was atrocious as well. Also if I remember correctly all four of Andrews, Roberts, Chimbonda and N'Zonzi were dropped by Allardyce so he must not have been happy with them for some reason.

I could say all our rubbish players were good but that would be lying. Not quite sure why we have to make up that players were better than they were just because they took some stick from sections of the crowd.

Also signed Robbo, the fans loved him.

It was more to do with the fact he was rubbish IMO, but I will agree if the fans get their knives into you at Blackburn, you'll likely never recover.

Some of our fans can be over the top with criticism but every clubs got them.

Nicky Reid recovered. "Reidy Reidy Reidy"

As for N'Zonzi, he was a brilliant player until he seemed to fall out with Allardyce pre-season over something I can't remember. He got dropped by the manager and then when he returned he was never quite the same player.

Personally I think he came back just as strong, in fact in Kean's first season the players that stood out head and shoulders above the rest in that April revival were the two Jones's, Hoillet, Samba and N'Zonzi. The reasons for N'Zonzi's absence were unfathomable cos for a few months it seemed he did not even exist. He was not mentioned in the LT to the best of my knowledge either and I definitely cant rem an injury being reported. My best guess .... and that is all that it is, is that N'Zonzi might have failed a test for something or other. :glare:

• Backroom

Personally I think he came back just as strong, in fact in Kean's first season the players that stood out head and shoulders above the rest in that April revival were the two Jones's, Hoillet, Samba and N'Zonzi. The reasons for N'Zonzi's absence were unfathomable cos for a few months it seemed he did not even exist. He was not mentioned in the LT to the best of my knowledge either and I definitely cant rem an injury being reported. My best guess .... and that is all that it is, is that N'Zonzi might have failed a test for something or other. :glare:

Didn't he hit Kean? Or was that the relegation season?

Some of our fans can be over the top with criticism but every clubs got them.

Nicky Reid recovered. "Reidy Reidy Reidy"

Sherwood and Jansen are the only 2 others i can think of, but most are hounded throughout. Wilcox, Atkins, Neill etc..

Sherwood and Jansen are the only 2 others i can think of, but most are hounded throughout. Wilcox, Atkins, Neill etc..

Wilcox took a lot of stick in his first six months or so but ended up becoming an excellent player.

I don't remember him getting any stick apart from his shakey start. I used to stand in the Blackburn End enclosure and he went from zero to hero in there. I don't remember hearing him getting any stick when I sat in Darwen End during the stadium redevelopment or when I transferred to the Blackburn End either. It all seemed to be good times all round till 96.

By the way I thought he was terrible and I got a good view of him from the Nutall St stand. Probably nerves but he couldn't pass a ball, tackle or cross. Only 21 though so in hindsight forgivable, then something clicked and he turned into a brilliant player. That's why I suspect some have hopes that Lowe might develop into a better player.

By the way I thought he was terrible and I got a good view of him from the Nutall St stand. Probably nerves but he couldn't pass a ball, tackle or cross. Only 21 though so in hindsight forgivable, then something clicked and he turned into a brilliant player. That's why I suspect some have hopes that Lowe might develop into a better player.

KMD simply got him to play to his strengths. He couldn't dribble and rarely got to the by-line but had a significant work rate and the ability to hit a brilliant flat early cross, which was meat and drink to a certain centre forward around that time. The rest of Jason's game was bang ordinary.

• 1 year later...

I was unable to post this at the time, but did anyone else happen to be listening to Talksport last Thursday night, just before 9.00pm ?

Keith Andrews was a guest in the studio, I remember thinking this guy is a natural when it comes to talking on the radio,

but my ears really pricked up when Saggars asked him about his time at Ewood.

He was extremely complimentary about the club and said he had tremendous sympathy for all involved for what

had happened since the takeover and he including the great people who lost their jobs, the fans, everyone.

He said John Williams ran the whole place brilliantly, " he was on top of everything "

Saggars got round to the sacking of Paul Ince, KA said it was a big step-up for Ince and he had a very hard act to follow

with Mark Hughes, who had done such a brilliant job for 4 years, he likened it to the situation at Old Trafford after SAF.

I don't think I have heard anybody, talk so well about the club on tv or radio in the last 4 years.

KA Legend indeed !

I was unable to post this at the time, but did anyone else happen to be listening to Talksport last Thursday night, just before 9.00pm ?

Keith Andrews was a guest in the studio, I remember thinking this guy is a natural when it comes to talking on the radio,

but my ears really pricked up when Saggars asked him about his time at Ewood.

He was extremely complimentary about the club and said he had tremendous sympathy for all involved for what

had happened since the takeover and he including the great people who lost their jobs, the fans, everyone.

He said John Williams ran the whole place brilliantly, " he was on top of everything "

Saggars got round to the sacking of Paul Ince, KA said it was a big step-up for Ince and he had a very hard act to follow

with Mark Hughes, who had done such a brilliant job for 4 years, he likened it to the situation at Old Trafford after SAF.

I don't think I have heard anybody, talk so well about the club on tv or radio in the last 4 years.

KA Legend indeed !

He's a much maligned character who suffered a bit through association with Paul Ince. Fair to say he is/was a fairly limited player but I don't think he ever caused an issue with his attitude. It wasn't his fault that he was elevated to the Premiership when his ability wasn't really up to that.

I met him and David Dunn in Sydney with my family. Both were absolute gents and a credit to themselves and the club.

Archived