BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great review, Adam! Well done.

A small % of me wants a Fulham victory in the hopes that it will force Venky's hands.... however, that is just a small % i can never

wish for a Rovers' loss--no matter how cynical I have become.

Can I go in for a 2-0 victory AND a right proper sacking?? Probably not, but that's what I'm wishing for. CYOB!

i predict Dann and Samba to look solid......only to be let down by salgado

Our midfield to be no existant and the fulham defenders to have they're deckchairs out.

going against us 2 wins in 18/ being away/ an 8% 2nd half win ratio under kean being 0% when away from home in other words losing at half time will mean losing at full time.

KEANOUTKEANOUT

Would love to see us try something like..

-----------------Robinson-----------------

----Salgado----Dann----Samba----Givet-----

--------------Grella---Petrovic-----------

----jnr------------------------Olsson-----

---------Formica(free role)---------------

---------------------Yakuba---------------

With Bunn, Nelson, Simon, Goodwillie, Nzonzi and Rochina

A standard solid back 4 with a decent defensive midfield with jnr and Olsson switching from time to time and pressuring them with pace especially on the break. With decent impact subs in the likes of Simon, Goodwillie and Rochina that sort of line up would do fine.

Previous games weaknesses:

1 - pressure on Salgado.. personally I don't blame him that much but more the overall tactics as he has not had much (if any) cover from central defence and with the players he has had in front of him no cover at all from midfield.

2 - Plenty of passing but nothing really penetrating, I would resolve this with Petrovic and Formica

3 - Slow build up from the back as we have had no midfielders with long range vision so again down to the poor lad petro

4 - No squad flexibility, which is partly fixed with Simon amd Rochina in there

5 - Lack of a gritty older chap like grella in defensive midfield

6 - We have not utilised the pace that we have, our best games last year had Olsson on the wing, a flat back four and two solid defensive midfielders.

But I guess this is a bit pie in the sky with the likes of Roberts, Peds (if fit) and Nzonzi almost guaranteed starters.. so sadly my prediction for the game is a 0-0 bore draw (with Petrovic, Simon and Formica warming the bench) with lots of passing but no end product from us with scary moments involving Salgado left to cater for himself 2v1, everything being forced through jnr and Roberts missing sitters :(

My ideal line-up....

..............Robinson

Salgado....Dann.....Samba....Olsson

........Nzonzi......Petrovic

Hoilett.....Formica........Vukcevic

..............Yakubu

However, not too sure if Simon is ready or settled enough to start so maybe....

..............Robinson

Salgado....Dann.....Samba....Givet

........Nzonzi......Petrovic

Hoilett.....Formica..........Olsson

..............Yakubu

Im curious to catch a glimpse of Jordan Slew aswell.

Hopefully a win for us, 2-1.

My Lineup would be

Robinson

Dann - Samba - Givet

Vukcevic - Petrovic-Nzonzi - Ollson

Hoilett

Formica - Rochina

This will work and Pet and Nzonzi break up play and release ollson and vukcevic who play wing-backs and have givet and dann cover , and also fulham won't expect it , bench the rest

but alas steve don't have balls for experimentation .... i believe our current bunch of young players have the pprogressive style to play such daring formation .... but only with a progressive european manager we can do this ....

I hope we get , Johan Cruyff(he's not happy in ajax) , Frank Rijkaard (he's not happy in saudi) , van basten (no job) , or one of the german masters ....

people might think why would these guys come to us ..... well thats where the lure and challenge of EPL AND MONEY comes in .... but what do we know ..... :rover:

:brfcsmilie:

My Lineup would be

Robinson

Dann - Samba - Givet

Vukcevic - Petrovic-Nzonzi - Ollson

Hoilett

Formica - Rochina

This will work and Pet and Nzonzi break up play and release ollson and vukcevic who play wing-backs and have givet and dann cover , and also fulham won't expect it , bench the rest

but alas steve don't have balls for experimentation .... i believe our current bunch of young players have the pprogressive style to play such daring formation .... but only with a progressive european manager we can do this ....

I hope we get , Johan Cruyff(he's not happy in ajax) , Frank Rijkaard (he's not happy in saudi) , van basten (no job) , or one of the german masters ....

people might think why would these guys come to us ..... well thats where the lure and challenge of EPL AND MONEY comes in .... but what do we know ..... :rover:

:brfcsmilie:

I'm all for change, but that team would get raped.

Sorry it's just becoming impossible to be positive when the guy in charges record means a loss is inevitable. Ruiz 2, Dempsey 1......3-0 after a goaless 1st half

Pedersen, Dunn and Nelsen are doubtful for Sunday's match at Fulham through injuries. Internationals back unscathed, new signings Yakubu, Dann and Slew in squad

Might be a blessing in disguise, as the first 2 have been poor and Nelsen hasn't been fit and had to rush back.

Shame Roberts is fit!

Be nice to see someone else at RB instead of watching poor Salgado get creamed.

Game over for Kean if he loses this.

Would be nice to see our boys win on telly though...

The result aside, my enduring memory of last season's game at Fulham was Steve Kean getting off the Rovers coach outside the ground and going straight over to a group of Fulham fans to sign autographs.

A guy near us even shouted over to Kean " Hey, Steve, what about your own fans?"

Kean's reaction? Completely ignored him and waltzed off into the ground.

Same fixture this season, and he's still showing the same contempt to his own fans.

Someone in Kean's situation should be doing all he can to get the respect of the fans and at least try to create a seige mentality amongst us. We can't even say "Well he's crap but at least he's one of us".

Look at Keegan's reaction to the fans when he sold Andy Cole to Man Utd. More recently with Berg and his club's fans. Came out, laid their cards on the table and said "trust me". Instant respect was regained. Even Pedersen writes in his blog how much he loves the club and shakes a metaphorical fist in the cyber-air, William Gamst Wallace-style. Some might think he's being contrite following his own performances, or simply trying to keep the fans on side. At least he cares enough to want to keep the fans on side.

Kean doesn't seem to have any visible qualities befitting a manager or for the honour (ha!) of being the face/voice of the club, yet he can't do the easy stuff either - try humility for starters, Steve. All I can say us he must be a bloody good coach.

1-0 Fulham, as a result of more "bad luck" for Rovers...

Hope I'm wrong.

The result aside, my enduring memory of last season's game at Fulham was Steve Kean getting off the Rovers coach outside the ground and going straight over to a group of Fulham fans to sign autographs.

A guy near us even shouted over to Kean " Hey, Steve, what about your own fans?"

Kean's reaction? Completely ignored him and waltzed off into the ground.

Same fixture this season, and he's still showing the same contempt to his own fans.

Oh my word is this true? That is absolutely terrible.

But talking about him showing the same contempt for our fans; the man gets slagged off by every Rovers fan, who are all calling for him to lose his job. So I think his reaction would be only natural. That being said, he still deserves to lose his job because he isn't a manager.

Predicting a 2-1 victory for us this Sunday. Goodie and Formica with the goals.

Oh my word is this true? That is absolutely terrible.

But talking about him showing the same contempt for our fans; the man gets slagged off by every Rovers fan, who are all calling for him to lose his job. So I think his reaction would be only natural. That being said, he still deserves to lose his job because he isn't a manager.

Predicting a 2-1 victory for us this Sunday. Goodie and Formica with the goals.

Well he didn't actually waltz but yes, that's a first hand account.

I think you're making a bit of an chicken-or-the-egg argument (excuse the pun) there. I'd argue he is being 'slagged off' and people are 'calling for him to lose his job' as a result of what he's done (and not done) in his time as manager. Therefore, however natural a reaction, it was still a situation of his own (and his advisors) making.

I don't know why - but I am optimistic that we will win this one. There was enough in the Everton match to think we can win this one (no disrespect to Fulham).

I suppose the downside is that Kean will be in a job for a little longer. At the moment - our next two league matches (after this) are likely to be defeats whoever is in charge - so I don't think any fans should consider sacrificing a potential three points to get rid of Kean.

It's a good point DMTP but if fans call for his head after losing to Arsenal, Man City and co, they'll be considered foolish "you can't have a go at Kean for not beating them" and "He beat Fulham, he deserves 5 more games".

Tomorrow is a lose-lose match for the fans...

On a side note, I don't think I've ever known a match preview thread have so few pages the day before a match.

The fact that the thread only went up yesterday probably explains have of that but is also another damning statement in itself.

Archived