BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Thread (Poll reset after Stoke game)

Glenn

958 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean be sacked

My apologies Jim, i wasn't calling you in particular an extremist. I was just saying that i expected to get shot down for feeling sympathy for him on a personal level. But again, you seem to have overlooked the numerous times i stressed that i feel he should have gone. Personally i would have acted after the Newcastle game. Let me stress this point to you - WE ARE IN AGREEMENT ON THAT!

To say Kean is soley responsible is ludicrous. By that argument i assume you'd be perfectly happy with the same owners and lack of off field staff providing we could replace Kean with another manager? Sacking Kean would not cure the club. He is a product of the terrible state the club is in. That is the Rao's fault. They are the ones who the hatred should be aimed towards.

Long term, no, a manager can only go so far, see Allardyce who was crying out for, and deserving of, some investment. He may have been able to carry on for a couple more seasons with a negative transfer budget but would have eventually either failed (relegation) or walked away.

Short term, the right manager could come in right now, with the players we have and keep us up. Of course the January transfer window could make that a moot point.

But I don't and can't feel sorry for him. By continually defending them and by remaining in charge despite his obvious lack of ability/competence, he is complicit in our downfall. A proper manager, a proper man, with actual dignity, would have gone by now, citing lack of support by the owners/different ambitions.

The owners might 'say' they support him, but given their 'actions' that's about as hollow as Kean's 'take the positives' and the other managers' 'he's doing a fantastic job'.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something?

How is the 'abuse' Kean has received any worse than what any other manager in his position?

'Sacked in the morning', 'Kean out' and so on.

The media have got on their moral high horse for no apparent reason, and of course other club's fans and sadly some of our own have followed their lead.

It is now obvious that kean will be our manager until the end of the window. It also looks like Venkys will not support him in the window and that a number of players will leave the club. Maybe we should change the focus of the protest to Venkys and for the stoke game really get behind the team.

My own view has changed considerably over the course of the past twelve months in that I believe the real source of our problems is not Kean but Desai. Without a shadow of a doubt Kean is out of his depth as manager and shouldn't be in the job. However, the fact is he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place and the blame for that rests solely with Desai. She is the one who gave him the job and has continued to support him.

At any other club he would have been removed in the summer after almost single handedly getting us relegated last season.

His record is the worst of any manager in the club's history and yet this woman in Pune continues to support him. Now, if rumours are to be believed, the woman is not going to give him any money to strengthen the team but wants new players funded by selling existing staff first.

We have the unbelieveable situation in which, despite our injury problems, the manager is apparently not allowed to select Salgado and Roberts because of contractual problems and the fact that if they play again it might cost the club money. Clearly Desai doesn't give a toss for the club or the fact that relegation could do untold damage to the club. The woman has no understanding of football - if she did Kean wouldn't be here.

Ultimately, people can protest about Kean all they want but he is going nowhere. He provides a shield for Desai as he is taking the flack that really ought to be going in her direction. As for Kean, he is picking up a good wage and when and if he does get fired - and I doubt it will be before the summer - he will pick up a nice golden handshake. I can understand why he doesn't resign as he is unlikely to walk into another job and so he might as well build up his finances while he can.

Perhaps he should stay on his seat for every game. It was unusual not to see him stood out on the touchline.

I did wonder why he chose to stay sat down. Whatever the reason was I can't help thinking that it contributed to the result.....

And when he approached the touchline at 0-2, Utd score. He definitely needs to stay planted and keep his trap shut.

I was at a New Years Eve party last night and I was talking to two mates, one a United fan and one a Spurs man. We got onto the subject of Blackburn Rovers and how crap they've been. I was worried that my friends were going to come out with the usual stuff about how Kean is being hard done by, hasn't been given a chance, injuries, shocking abuse and whatever else people have been saying. To my sheer delight and utter relief, they were of the same opinion as me and the majority of Rovers fans - he's a crap manager who is out of his depth; has had more than enough time to prove that he's good enough; the excuses about injuries are pathetic as the vast majority of his games in charge he's been able to pick from a full squad and still hasn't been picking up points; what are Blackburn fans supposed to do when they have a manager who has won 8 games out of nearly 40; the abuse is totally justified and there has been a total over reaction to it's nastiness; getting a pay rise was a joke; it's down to the owners to sack him and it shows what little respect they have for the future of the club and the fans that they don't.

I could have kissed them.

My own view has changed considerably over the course of the past twelve months in that I believe the real source of our problems is not Kean but Desai. Without a shadow of a doubt Kean is out of his depth as manager and shouldn't be in the job. However, the fact is he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place and the blame for that rests solely with Desai. She is the one who gave him the job and has continued to support him.

At any other club he would have been removed in the summer after almost single handedly getting us relegated last season.

His record is the worst of any manager in the club's history and yet this woman in Pune continues to support him. Now, if rumours are to be believed, the woman is not going to give him any money to strengthen the team but wants new players funded by selling existing staff first.

We have the unbelieveable situation in which, despite our injury problems, the manager is apparently not allowed to select Salgado and Roberts because of contractual problems and the fact that if they play again it might cost the club money. Clearly Desai doesn't give a toss for the club or the fact that relegation could do untold damage to the club. The woman has no understanding of football - if she did Kean wouldn't be here.

Ultimately, people can protest about Kean all they want but he is going nowhere. He provides a shield for Desai as he is taking the flack that really ought to be going in her direction. As for Kean, he is picking up a good wage and when and if he does get fired - and I doubt it will be before the summer - he will pick up a nice golden handshake. I can understand why he doesn't resign as he is unlikely to walk into another job and so he might as well build up his finances while he can.

Good post and i agree with pretty much everything you wrote

Another pro Kean article in the media. Just shows what bunch of idiots they are. However as Collins is a member of the press he is allowed to make a personal attack on Dalglish and question his integrity. Unfortunately it is this sort of rubbish read by the general public that forms their opinions.

Patrick Collins in the Daily Mail

His persecution has been cruel, loutish and quite relentless. I cannot recall a football manager ever suffering such concerted personal abuse. And not just from those elements who scream their dullwitted insults from the seats at Ewood Park

now he has managed the team to a victory at united i wonder if he will get any support from you? all i can say to the lynch mob like yourself is that you will always get the best out of people by supporting them ...not by yobbish ignorant violent style behaviour...some of your own fans had to leave the game the other day at home when the protests were occuring as they felt fearful of the threatening atmosphere...some fans take young children for gods sake!

Youtube hurts my brain... :(

Another pro Kean article in the media. Just shows what bunch of idiots they are. However as Collins is a member of the press he is allowed to make a personal attack on Dalglish and question his integrity. Unfortunately it is this sort of rubbish read by the general public that forms their opinions.

His persecution has been cruel, loutish and quite relentless. I cannot recall a football manager ever suffering such concerted personal abuse. And not just from those elements who scream their dullwitted insults from the seats at Ewood Park

Patrick Collins talks a load of sanctimonous tosh every week, first time he's mentioned us since the days we were 'Yobs' under Hughes and 'anti football' under Sam.

Now I remember why I stopped buying the Mail. Or was it because they employed Gary Neville as their main football writer?

now he has managed the team to a victory at united i wonder if he will get any support from you? all i can say to the lynch mob like yourself is that you will always get the best out of people by supporting them ...not by yobbish ignorant violent style behaviour...some of your own fans had to leave the game the other day at home when the protests were occuring as they felt fearful of the threatening atmosphere...some fans take young children for gods sake!

Youtube hurts my brain... :(

Some people are so ill-informed it's an insult to proper journalists.

This is why people like EwoodDawn are fantastic protester representatives. Women and children are amongst those who are shouting for him to step down.

The football Press are generlly biased against Rovers. Prvious posters have pointed out the way the Mail particularly only reports us in a negative light. Yesterday's post match interviews were interesting: SAF explaining that Utd had lost because they were short of available defenders (SAF hadn't noticed that we had 10 first team players unavailable) and the "pitch was heavy" (your pitch SAF). This tosh was reported without comment by BBC and several other media. Can you imagine the storm of contempt that would have been unleashed if Rovers had lost to Utd at Ewood and Kean had gone on TV with that explanation. One rule for the big clubs, another for us.

• Backroom

The football Press are generlly biased against Rovers. Prvious posters have pointed out the way the Mail particularly only reports us in a negative light. Yesterday's post match interviews were interesting: SAF explaining that Utd had lost because they were short of available defenders (SAF hadn't noticed that we had 10 first team players unavailable) and the "pitch was heavy" (your pitch SAF). This tosh was reported without comment by BBC and several other media. Can you imagine the storm of contempt that would have been unleashed if Rovers had lost to Utd at Ewood and Kean had gone on TV with that explanation. One rule for the big clubs, another for us.

Made me laugh when he said they were missing Carrick in midfield as well... whose bright idea was it to put him in defence, Fergal? :lol:

What you talking about? Kean has consistently come out with the worst excuses known to football (dew on the grass anyone?) and has the worst record of any manager in recent memory. Not only is he not faced with a "storm of contempt", he's lauded as a great manager doing a fantastic job.

(Great username, btw!) :tu:

We were missing:

GK: Robbo

RB: Salgado

CB: Givet and Nelsen

LB: Olsson

RW: Dunn

CM: Grella

CM: Hoilett

CM: Dann

CF: Roberts

I tried to make an entire team and then ran out players! Point being made is that the players missing are arguably better than the ones on the pitch and we suffered more than United, it was not a fluke but a well disciplined performance against the champions on their turf.

Might be a lesson in there. Thought some of the youngsters performed better than the old guard. Do we need Salgado, Nelsen, Dunn, Grella, Roberts? Could argue that Bunn/Robbo is a close one. Dann has yet to convince.

• Backroom

I was at a New Years Eve party last night and I was talking to two mates, one a United fan and one a Spurs man. We got onto the subject of Blackburn Rovers and how crap they've been. I was worried that my friends were going to come out with the usual stuff about how Kean is being hard done by, hasn't been given a chance, injuries, shocking abuse and whatever else people have been saying. To be sheer delight and utter relief, they were of the same opinion as me and the majority of Rovers fans. He's a crap manager who is out of his depth; has had more than enough time to prove that he's good enough; the excuses about injuries are pathetic as the vast majority of his games in charge he's been able to pick from a full squad and still hasn't been picking up points; what are Blackburn fans supposed to do when they have a manager who has won 8 games out of nearly 40; the abuse is totally justified and there has been a total over reaction to it's nastiness; getting a pay rise was a joke; it's down to the owners to sack him and it shows what little respect they have for the future of the club and the fans that they don't.

I could have kissed them.

I had a very similar experience, nobody at the party I went to could believe Kean was still manager of the club.

What you talking about? Kean has consistently come out with the worst excuses known to football (dew on the grass anyone?) and has the worst record of any manager in recent memory. Not only is he not faced with a "storm of contempt", he's lauded as a great manager doing a fantastic job.

(Great username, btw!) :tu:

I should have said, if a manager of a "smaller club" had said such tosh..... My comments weren't directed at Kean in particular who I think is out of his depth in terms of his football tactics, in his media interviews and in his relationship with our clueless, asset-stripping owners. Kean's observation that we should have "played like that against Sunderland" - I think he was referring to Rovers keeping possession and not just hoofing the ball upfield from defence - was the sort of insightful comment you could expect from a 6 year old (no offence intended to any 6 year olds)! Venky's out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived