BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Podcast

Kamy100

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to the podcast. Well done to all involved for getting the interview.

I can't decide whether it's impressive or desperate that he chose to be interviewed only now, having been here 9 months.

In terms of what he said, he sounded competent at best. Didn't really address the finances/transfers in any depth, though I suppose that was to be expected.

When he said that he spent 'everything that was made available' It would have been good to press him further.

cant bring myself to listen to it. I listen to all the other of kamy's podcasts but not this one. When kean speaks, i feel like sticking my head in a toilet and throwing up, i always have to turn the sound off when hes on tv.

i normally feel the same about kamys voice, that fella needs some beechams or somat to get rid of that permanant called he seems to have,

First ever post om the site!

My concern at the shambolic way our club is being run and managed, has sent me looking for some support - so glad I've found you guys! (Nice to know there are others who care this much)

Well done on a great interview

- as others have posted - great balance between showing respect and attacking the issues

Couldnt believe how often he refered to "the Everton game". He couldn't really mention any other games - because we have been pretty damn poor in so many of them!

Just prey we get three points against the gunners - my fear is that by the time something is done - we will be cast adrift

He sounds like a nice guy who is sincerely trying his hardest, and I expected that.

However he also sounds a little bit out of his league. He talks about the biggest change for him being that he is now in charge of the decisions which tells me he's having a hard time handling that. His heart and mind seem to be elsewhere, as he seems to be most knowledgeable about the grassroots academy initiative, and also seems distracted by the fact that he now has a huge say in the lives and futures of people. This is all well and good and natural to feel these things as an aspiring manager, but I truly feel that they are things that should be learned on a smaller scale, in a lower league.

I'm a lead designer at a graphic design firm. If I were to suddenly be thrown into the position of creative director with people and accounts all suddenly my responsibility, I would be a little shellshocked. Sure I'd be excited and try my best, but the company would suffer for a while because of the learning curve I would require.

The difference here is that you don't have time. And when you don't have time, you have to bring in the stability of somebody who's been there before.

Like I said, he's a good guy who is trying his absolute best. Unfortunately for everybody involved, that's not good enough.

I can't decide whether it's impressive or desperate that he chose to be interviewed only now, having been here 9 months.

To be fair, we've never really been in a position to ask before. There has been a growing rift between ourselves and the club's PR company for many years, but I recently met with their head in an attempt to try and heal the rift a little and he was most understanding and more generous than I ever gave him credit for. I think it's an amazing show of faith that after the first time we've spoken in years, he suggested we interview SK and is now encouraging us to set up a public Q&A type session with him!

i normally feel the same about kamys voice, that fella needs some beechams or somat to get rid of that permanant called he seems to have,

One of the problem with a fan lead podcast is we're real people with real accents, the three regulars have pretty thick accents, as have most of the guests, none of us were built for radio. The main exception was Philip who I'm sure could read the shipping forecast eloquently

To be fair, we've never really been in a position to ask before. There has been a growing rift between ourselves and the club's PR company for many years, but I recently met with their head in an attempt to try and heal the rift a little and he was most understanding and more generous than I ever gave him credit for. I think it's an amazing show of faith that after the first time we've spoken in years, he suggested we interview SK and is now encouraging us to set up a public Q&A type session with him!

I assume this relates to Paul Agnew? Fair enough, shows that some elements of the club are moving in the right direction.

That's harsh. Kean is literally breaking long standing club records weekly, too.

I've only got half way through the interview so I'll reserve my views until then although I can understand people being impressed by the way he comes across. One thing, in particular, that did really make me question his judgement, though, was when he said during the January transfer window he tied down "Robinson, Roberts, Salgado and Samba to long term deals" apparently "to protect our investment".

Roberts and Salgado on long-term deals? To protect our investment? Where are they going? :wacko:

I don't think he realises what he's saying at times, I really don't. Plus he seems to believe his own spin.

I think no matter what happens to Mr Kean, he has increased the assets that the club hold- if you consider the future values of players like Rochina, Formica. Goodie, Dann etc.

To secure the established, experienced players, he has given the club more stability (although I'd have preferred he jettisoned Roberts).

Tremblers? The spine and consistency shown by Glen, Kelbo and others does not warrant the label "trembler", anymore than Churchill sounding the alarm against Nazi Germany in the face of Chamberlain's then popularity. So I would not characterize Glen and Co. (including myself) as "tremblers", but rather those who see a problem and have the courage to speak out.

I think the supporters who want Kean out are both the bold and the sagacious ones, for both footballing and behavioral reasons. There are those who support for positive reasons, such as he's the Rovers manager and they'll support him through thick and thin. However, there are also those who do so for negative reasons, including:

1. those who realize if the Rovers are in trouble, then they as supporters should act but it is far too much effort.

2. those who realize if Kean is a failure, they'll look foolish for calling for Allardyce's head or their consistent support for Kean.

3. those who want to mock and decry, for the saking trolling and nothing more, those who can do the math (both financially and team performance) and realize the figures do not lie and we are a club against the ropes, despite the Arsenal win.

Which category do you think you fall in TDI?

Well done to Kamy who was a model professional in the way he conducted the interview- superb work.

I think that for all Kean's smoothness in answering (Tony Blair-esque at times) and Paul Agnew's cheerleading "Good Stuff" in the background after nearly every answer from Kean (well prepped were we Steve?), my gut feel is Kamy hit a couple of significant points which became more apparent on the second time of listening to the podcast.

Firstly is the distinct rise in pitch from Kean when he says "Yeh it was a shock" in answer to the question about Sam's sacking (Unlucky number 13 Steve).

Then comes the startling implication about what Kean has said about his own appointment. He emphasises and repeats that John Williams "never knew" anything about the new boss and I think we can all accept that to be the truth although it is in itself Kean confirming how really stupid Venky's are.

Somewhat later of course Kamy asks the question about SEM/Kentaro and football transfers. What he says is that Venky's did not know what they were doing during the January transfer window and that in effect Kentaro did it for them.

Presumably if Venky's knew nothing about players and transfers, they also could not possibly have known anything about managers either yet Steve Kean was appointed to the utter amazement of close to 100% of the football world.

I think Kamy came pretty close to an admission by Steve Kean that he was appointed manager of Blackburn Rovers by his own agent at a time when Venky's were pretty oblivious to what running/owning a football club entails.

Fact checking a few other things and I might have misheard so apologies if I did:

Steve Kean spent six years at Academica of Coimbra playing in the top division in Portugal. Well actually Academica only spent two seasons between Kean's 21st and 35th birthdays in the Portuguese top division.

Repeated use of "I think" in saying Kentaro were hired by the Trust to find a buyer. Now it is possible the lawyers of the Trust lied to me when they said this was not the case but judiciuous use by Kean of "I think" in prefacing his remarks suggestds he might know that his claim might not stack up too well.

Did Steve Kean really say that the first time he met the the owners to discuss the manager's position was the first time they came to the club? My recollection is they were at the club first before they had bought it (when Anderson spent the whole time whispering conspiratorially to Balaji) and then before Sam was sacked...

Then when talking about this summer's transfers he dodged the question about the stonking £9m profit on transfer fees but he did say that this window the owners knew what they were doing and that "I think its been a smooth transition" from Kentaro running transfers to Venky's doing it themselves. REALLY???? Numerous lists, marquees, eleven changes in decision making structures, five players ditched at the point of signing and Kean is parking all that farce at the doors of the Venky's?

Venky's should fire him for suggesting they are such nincompoops. As Nicko repeatedly raged on this MB from his privileged position, this summer's transfer window was an utter shambles much of the time and Kentaro were massively involved until there was a bit of a disagreement (poetic license).

And as for the comment that this is the first time in many years there has been competition for places in the backline at Rovers including goalkeeper. That comment just goes to show how unadulterated unsubstantiated rubbish flows easily from Steve Kean the moment he relaxes.

Finally let me point out that I too went to a private school, am a late developer and work hard but as I don't have Jerome Anderson as my Dad I am not expecting a playing contract with Rovers.

Well done to Kamy who was a model professional in the way he conducted the interview- superb work.

I think that for all Kean's smoothness in answering (Tony Blair-esque at times) and Paul Agnew's cheerleading "Good Stuff" in the background after nearly every answer from Kean (well prepped were we Steve?), my gut feel is Kamy hit a couple of significant points which became more apparent on the second time of listening to the podcast.

Firstly is the distinct rise in pitch from Kean when he says "Yeh it was a shock" in answer to the question about Sam's sacking (Unlucky number 13 Steve).

Then comes the startling implication about what Kean has said about his own appointment. He emphasises and repeats that John Williams "never knew" anything about the new boss and I think we can all accept that to be the truth although it is in itself Kean confirming how really stupid Venky's are.

Somewhat later of course Kamy asks the question about SEM/Kentaro and football transfers. What he says is that Venky's did not know what they were doing during the January transfer window and that in effect Kentaro did it for them.

Presumably if Venky's knew nothing about players and transfers, they also could not possibly have known anything about managers either yet Steve Kean was appointed to the utter amazement of close to 100% of the football world.

I think Kamy came pretty close to an admission by Steve Kean that he was appointed manager of Blackburn Rovers by his own agent at a time when Venky's were pretty oblivious to what running/owning a football club entails.

Fact checking a few other things and I might have misheard so apologies if I did:

Steve Kean spent six years at Academica of Coimbra playing in the top division in Portugal. Well actually Academica only spent two seasons between Kean's 21st and 35th birthdays in the Portuguese top division.

Repeated use of "I think" in saying Kentaro were hired by the Trust to find a buyer. Now it is possible the lawyers of the Trust lied to me when they said this was not the case but judiciuous use by Kean of "I think" in prefacing his remarks suggestds he might know that his claim might not stack up too well.

Did Steve Kean really say that the first time he met the the owners to discuss the manager's position was the first time they came to the club? My recollection is they were at the club first before they had bought it (when Anderson spent the whole time whispering conspiratorially to Balaji) and then before Sam was sacked...

Then when talking about this summer's transfers he dodged the question about the stonking £9m profit on transfer fees but he did say that this window the owners knew what they were doing and that "I think its been a smooth transition" from Kentaro running transfers to Venky's doing it themselves. REALLY???? Numerous lists, marquees, eleven changes in decision making structures, five players ditched at the point of signing and Kean is parking all that farce at the doors of the Venky's?

Venky's should fire him for suggesting they are such nincompoops. As Nicko repeatedly raged on this MB from his privileged position, this summer's transfer window was an utter shambles much of the time and Kentaro were massively involved until there was a bit of a disagreement (poetic license).

And as for the comment that this is the first time in many years there has been competition for places in the backline at Rovers including goalkeeper. That comment just goes to show how unadulterated unsubstantiated rubbish flows easily from Steve Kean the moment he relaxes.

Finally let me point out that I too went to a private school, am a late developer and work hard but as I don't have Jerome Anderson as my Dad I am not expecting a playing contract with Rovers.

:lol::D:lol:

Wonderful isn't it. Someone goes to the trouble of listening to the podcast - at least twice - and is belittled for posting his thoughts on it.

Now you can say Philip has an agenda all you like but at least he puts together a coherent argument from his side of the fence.

The "snidy-ness" and :lol:-ing just makes those with an opposing view look childish and incapable of actually putting together an articulate response.

I'm really not sure why some people bother with messageboards cos they really don't seem to get it.

EDIT:

Classic, bep. Well done.

First of many no doubt.

I almost read all that skey-eyed claptrap philip :lol:

That was very easy to write. I suppose the question is :"Do you have any serious input or reply?"

And writing "lol" doesn't count. Honestly, it doesn't.

Just watch: :lol:

It didn't help one bit did it?

:tu::rover:

I personally cannot comprehend anyone claiming Alan Nixon holds a "privileged position" as I am firmly of the belief that he types ###### day in day out and is a rumour mongering hack who is somewhat a laughing stock due to his poor success rate and inconsistencies.

Great interview though and good to hear the reasons for certain things...he certainly struggled to justify Myles Andersens place in the squad but we have had Paul Dalgliesh and Paul Harford on the books previously so it's no big deal.

Archived