BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Podcast

Kamy100

• Backroom

Just heard the line regarding his comments to the press:

"I tell it how it is". Hmm...

The response the question about the skills required to be a good manager is very worrying; people skills, being a good listener and working hard. Nothing specific to football, nothing about tactics.

He sounds like he's managing a business throughout the whole thing, not a football team.

Agree, those comments about the qualities of a manager worried me as well. They were the answers of a coach, not a manager IMO.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say the only difference between being manager and coach was the 'ability to hand out new contracts, or transfer list them'

?

Can't say I heard that. Dealing with the press and the club owners is what I can remember.

• Backroom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say the only difference between being manager and coach was the 'ability to hand out new contracts, or transfer list them'

?

From memory I think he also said it was the ability to be able to decide tactics as well, and go from just having an opinion to being able to actually decide things. Kamy kind of covered it twice with asking about the qualities of a manager and also the transition from coach to manager. His answers did leave a lot to be desired, sounded like an answer an FM player would give, especially in regards to contracts/transfers :lol:

Kean: Repetition, I say! repetition is good for the soul.

Edit: While we're at it when did Robbo sign an extension.

According to the official site, other players mentioned, Roberts, Salgado, Samba and Nelsen, yes! no Robbo.

Does he really have a clue, can't remember what is BULL S or fact.

Kean: Repetition, I say! repetition is good for the soul.

Edit: While we're at it when did Robbo sign an extension.

According to the official site, other players mentioned, Roberts, Salgado, Samba and Nelsen, yes! no Robbo.

Does he really have a clue, can't remember what is BULL S or fact.

Yeah i was thinking this their where rumours he was going to sign one but nothing came out?

Nice work Kamy, very professional, nice balance between being respectful yet forceful. Like many others I think he came across as a nice guy and a hard worker. The dialoge reminded me that behind the castle walls there are a load of different roles that we ask of a manager, some Kean is suited to and some he isn't.

His comments on setting the style of play where he's asking the coaching staff to focus on getting pressure onto the ball and not sitting off in defensive formation behind the ball I also found interesting. There's a lot of work involved to get the squad to do that stuff instinctively and not drop off and drift out of the game (which is what I think we have been seeing, especially in the 2nd half). He's a very hard working people person and the staff/squad like him (I also know this from first hand) and he's a good coach.

To be a good manager though you need all of that but you also need a bit more, and that's the ability to get results, making the tough changes when necessary and out thinking the tactics of the opposing manager during game time. You only have to listen to what he said about Sam's way of working - Sam set the direction on the Monday, the coaching staff executed and he came in for a couple of sessions at the end of the week. Sam's real impact/value-add was on the Saturday on the touchline. That's where managers really do their work. As for the rest - well they mainly have 'people' to do that for them.

The attributes Kean has will appeal to anyone who's in business where he'd be a high flyer but anyone who knows about the brutal realities of football will know that it's the X factor that's the important bit not the 99% of the other grunt work that goes on behind the scenes. I haven't seen this quality in Kean when he's in the dugout/on the line. And that's the problem.

Should he be given time to develop/exhibit this side of managerial talent? Well if we could be guaranteed of finishing above 18th place this year I say yes, give him a chance he may yet add the missing piece of the jigsaw. But I'm reminded of the old adage 'Nice guys finish last'. If you offered me Benitez (say) right now then I'd swap in a heartbeat (sorry Steve). If you offer me an also ran like Jones (say) then that's much more difficult.

On the balance of probabilities and the realities of the situation I'd give him until Christmas and shelve the protests. How a protest cannot be disruptive to the club and players I don't know. Is the disruption a price worth paying given that we have absolutely no idea of his replacement?

If I were Venkys I'd go cap in hand to Sam and offer to pay his bonus for promotion back to the Premier League plus a lot more and ask him if he'd like to move a bit closer to home. I cannot think of a better solution.

A last thought - Kean really has to understand the emotional nature of the fans perspective, he might see things rationally but we don't (necessarily). If we string a number of losses together then he's going to get called a c*nt and rightly so - so stop being 'disappointed' Steve. If you answer criticism from the supporters by saying "Well I have the backing of the owners" that's just like sticking two fingers up at the fans and saying their concerns don't matter. Who cares whose backing you have just listen to our legitimate concerns and stop dismissing them. I'm disappointed that you're disappointed!

"Scott Dann to Reception please"

Cracked me up for some reason.

Something Kamy forgot to mention, to cut costs some players have been asked to take certain roles, Scott Dann is also the janitor.

He was called to reception becuase their was complain one of the toilets was blocked.

Salgado is the Maître d in the canteen.

My wife listened to the podcast with me - she is a Brighton fan and the contrast between our 2 clubs at the moment is literally poles apart. Gus Poyet is literally breaking long standing club records weekly, the fans love him, the football they are playing is the best they have ever seen. Poyet will be a top club manager one day. The Brighton fans are hoping it isn't too soon and are hoping it is with them, the potential is there and the wonders he is working down there are phenomenal.

Back to the podcast: We listened to it intently, hoping for a glimmer of hope for the future of Blackburn Rovers. When the interview finished, my wife's first words were "bless him he seems like a really nice guy but he really thinks he is doing a good job, I feel a bit sorry for him really."

And while I didn't expect him to say, "Thanks for coming to interview me Kamy - I know that most fans feel that I am not up to the job and I have to agree with them. So Kamy, are we recording, we are, good - I hereby resign as manager of Blackburn Rovers with immediate effect" it would have been nice.

Good interview lads and fair play to the Keanster for doing it.

My wife listened to the podcast with me - she is a Brighton fan and the contrast between our 2 clubs at the moment is literally poles apart. Gus Poyet is literally breaking long standing club records weekly, the fans love him, the football they are playing is the best they have ever seen. Poyet will be a top club manager one day. The Brighton fans are hoping it isn't too soon and are hoping it is with them, the potential is there and the wonders he is working down there are phenomenal.

That's harsh. Kean is literally breaking long standing club records weekly, too.

I've only got half way through the interview so I'll reserve my views until then although I can understand people being impressed by the way he comes across. One thing, in particular, that did really make me question his judgement, though, was when he said during the January transfer window he tied down "Robinson, Roberts, Salgado and Samba to long term deals" apparently "to protect our investment".

Roberts and Salgado on long-term deals? To protect our investment? Where are they going? :wacko:

I don't think he realises what he's saying at times, I really don't. Plus he seems to believe his own spin.

Great work, Kamy!

The interview was never going to change anyone's perception of Kean. He could sit there and tell the fans everything they want to hear, it wouldn't change the fact he can't win football matches. I do think he was wrong to say he's "disappointed" by the fan protest. If he does share the fan's frustrations, then he should accept the protest with humility and be thankful they haven't turned on the club itself.

I don't have anything personal against Kean, he sounds like an affable enough bloke and I'm sure he's doing his utmost. He's not just not good enough to manage this club and it's time Venky's found someone who can, instead of prolonging the inevitable.

^^^ Exactly how I feel ^^^

listened to the interview, its changed my opinion of him as a person(hes not the Antichrist after all!!!), but still everything he said has just reaffirmed mine(and most peoples) belief that hes just not a manager hes a coach(and seemingly a very good one), but when it comes to picking teams and making decisions once the games kicked off hes just not got it ('it' being the special ingredient that separates being a coach from being a manager).

The march does seem a bit harsh now to me(and i don't think it will sway the venkys decision anyway), i think the results and performances over the next few games will make the owners minds up and i still expect a new manager in by October.

Its up to him to prove us all wrong and start getting results, now(starting tomorrow).

I listened to the interview and I thought it was excellent, Kammy had to get the balance right and I think he did also fair play to Kean for answering the questions because I don't think there has been a PL manager under as much pressure to resign whilst not getting results and the board protecting him as much as Kean has been in a long time so to take questions from fans does show that he may perhaps have something about him afterall as a human being.

Two observations really, first the big one I picked up on was when he was talking about his Pune trips. He was discussing his acadamy background and knowlege in this area of coaching, what struck me with this was that Venky's seem to want these Acadamies in India which Kean's background allows him to do but I can't help think another reason why Venky's appointed Kean to the big job was to in part oversee this and they probably want to be seen as Philanthropic in India and Kean in that respect is an excellent appointment for them.

Secondly, he actually seemed a reasonable bloke in the interview (I still think he should apologise for his conviction which brought shame upon himself and the club) but the world of football is full of nice guys that fail in the top job. I think his crucial mistake has been trying to change his style too quickly, I also feel from the interview he wants to be the next Arsene Wenger type manager, he has an idea of how we should play and doesnt want to deviate from it and whilst I appreciate the club have signed some very exciting young players we also needed a solid DM with experience and that will probably prove to be the difference between sucess and failure this season.

My gut instinct still says he needs to be removed from the role as manager because I can't see results improving

cant bring myself to listen to it. I listen to all the other of kamy's podcasts but not this one. When kean speaks, i feel like sticking my head in a toilet and throwing up, i always have to turn the sound off when hes on tv.

Although with the stuff he comes out with winds me up at times to the point were I want to rip my eyeballs out(During a match) and my ears off(Pressers) he actually seemed to try answer every question put to him as honestly as possible andhe went up in my estimation slightly for doing this. I understand what he wants to do more now and I can see some reasoning to what the club want to achieve, for this reason alone the podcast is worth listening to. Unfortunatly I still think its the wrong way to do things and changes need to be made.

i guess your right in that he answers question to what people want to hear but i could do a good presser, doesnt mean to say that i can be a success on the field, its one thing talking a good game, its something completely different actually making it happen.

cant bring myself to listen to it. I listen to all the other of kamy's podcasts but not this one. When kean speaks, i feel like sticking my head in a toilet and throwing up, i always have to turn the sound off when hes on tv.

This I agree with, he isn't a very interesting person at all. He thinks his background is impressive but in truth it isn't. I don't like the guy and I don't trust his words.

Archived