BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Podcast

Kamy100

The interview can be found on the front page.

Thanks for the feedback, both positive and negative. It is taken on board.

Of course I could have been more assertive, but I was very conscious all the time I was talking to Kean that it was better to take a more measured approach because I wanted him to answer ALL the questions and not become defensive.

Also in this kinda situation you can't just go in and adopt a aggressive approach, the interview would end immediately and so would any further co-operation from Rovers, this kinda thing is totally a new way of working for Rovers, they have never allowed any access to unofficial sites previously so it is all about building a relationship with them.

Personally I feel that we did manage to get a heck of a lot of information of him, first time he has talked about Sam, first time anyone from the club has actually talked about Kentaro/SEM, first time someone has confirmed that transfers are now in-house amongst many other things.

Please keep the feedback coming, both positive and negative, I am very much learning about doing interviews via podcasts etc so want feedback so that future ones can be better.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done for getting the interview - empathise with your thoughts re assertive/aggressive but I must say there is nothing I heard there that made me think Kean has unique insight into how he is going to turn it all round.

I wish you had asked him about how Jensen was selected; how the budget was "spent" when we had a net cash inflow in the window & why Hoilett hasn't signed yet despite various assurances.

That said - it was still compelling listening.....albeit with Kean's David Brent-isms it's aittle scary !

• Backroom

I don't really trust anything Kean says, but it was an interesting listen nonetheless. Hasn't really changed my opinion of him - I base my decision on his management abilities, not his personality, and it's not good enough. I'm also very worried that he regards our performances this season to be "good". If he's conveying that to the players then we're not going to get anywhere fast. I can only hope what he says behind closed doors is different to what he tells the press, though I can't imagine any of our senior players taking him seriously. He did try to assert that he has authority during the interview, but when he was talking about not playing players and deciding their futures I felt he was talking exclusively about Diouf and Kalinic - neither of whom were senior players at the club.

Kudos to Kean for doing the interview and to Rovers for allowing it to happen, it's a step in the right direction. The next positive step would either be sacking or demoting Kean and bringing in a proper manager. Fingers crossed that'll happen sooner rather than later, because I don't have any faith whatsoever in Kean's assertion we'll "climb the table quickly", because based on our performances and his apparent lack of tactical nouse I only see us going one way, and it ain't up.

Great Interview Kammy as you said you have to play the interview game. You can't ask "Why are you hear, you are a ###### manager?" You have to ask questions to get other person to tell their side of the story.

I have to admit Kean did sound nervous and I expect he knows his head is on the line now. I do think Arsenal will be way to strong for Rovers. Lets see if he is given anymore games after the Arsenal game.

I also think the Arsenal is the perfect time for the march.

His responses are laughable.... the way we're playing we will win games? AGAINST WHO!?!?!?!?

"I think they can see we're trying to play good football" - seriously, i'm convinced he's deluded.

He responds about his lack of experience with the media etc, well what about your lack of football management experience then Steve?

No wonder he talks about how good it is to travel to Pune every month, i'd love to swan off from my job every 6 weeks as well.

He's got front, i'll give him that. Problem is it's all empty bull**** that you'd expect a blagger to come out with.

It was a good interview and I thought you asked some good questions Kamy. I thought it was good the way you slipped in some questions that have been daft rumours that have been on here like the 1 hour training sessions.

I have said this before but as a person I haven't got a problem with Kean and I have no doubt he is a top coach but he has to be judged as a manager and so far we are rock bottom and we are not playing well.

Credit to Kean for doing the interview but I have had enough of listening to him talk the talk. We need results and we need them asap.

I must say that despite everything he does come across as a nice bloke. He obviously works hard and is personable thats why the owners and players like him.

This said the fact remains that results are the only thing that matters. The only game he could refer to for a good performance was Everton, what about the other 16 games?

Also well done Kamy for a professional interview. We would all like to go in and give him a roasting but that would be the end of manager/club interaction for us.

I'm not at all impressed with him even after listening to it. I don't care if he can talk a good game, I don't care if he goes to lots of games, WP hearings or speaks 4 languages. None of that gets you points in the Premier League - and thats the one thing he's proven that he can't do.

Now is the time to get someone who can.

Kammy good interview. As you say it was not possible to be agrressive and get the interview, of course this is what Kean and his PR team knew when they granted the interview. This is what a good PR team will do.

It has not changed my view about his managerial abilities although he did come across as a nice guy. Unfortunately football is not about nice guys it is about results and Kean's record stands for all to see. It is a pity his 'positivity' is not refected in the results otherwise we would be champions league contenders. For all the talk in the interview about what is happening etc. the plain facts are we are bottom of the premier league with no sign that results will improve in the near future. The problem with Kean is that not only is he a poor manager he is also an unluckly manager and that is a fatal combination.

Two things from the interview he didn't clarify whether or not SEM/Kentaro were out, he mentioned the owners where taking more control but did not say specifically SEM/Kentaro had gone. The other was he said Paul Robinson signed a new long term deal in January, I never saw that reported in the press.

As I said a nice guy who you wouldn't want sacked. However he did provide the idea solution in the interview. Put him in charge of the India Academy that would be something I think he could be very good at developing.

Good work Kamy and well done to rovers to allow this to happen. I can't think of any other club who would allow thi s to happen.

I thought this bit was interest that Kean said that Sam Allardyce had a meeting with the owners in London the week before.

That was new to me and SA has said that he has never had a meeting with the owners. Just an introduction to them through John Williams!!!

At least Kean just answer all questions put to him!!!

Great work, Kamy!

The interview was never going to change anyone's perception of Kean. He could sit there and tell the fans everything they want to hear, it wouldn't change the fact he can't win football matches. I do think he was wrong to say he's "disappointed" by the fan protest. If he does share the fan's frustrations, then he should accept the protest with humility and be thankful they haven't turned on the club itself.

I don't have anything personal against Kean, he sounds like an affable enough bloke and I'm sure he's doing his utmost. He's not just not good enough to manage this club and it's time Venky's found someone who can, instead of prolonging the inevitable.

Good work Kamy and well done to rovers to allow this to happen. I can't think of any other club who would allow this to happen.

I can't think of any other club that promoted a First Team Coach to Manager, who fans are protesting against the Manager, who have had their worst run 25 years and worse start in 60 years.

Other clubs don't offer these interviews because they have not put themselves in the ridiculous position we have this season.

Lets not forgot this guy is fighting for his career, he's a very very lucky man to have got the job and to still be incharge.

The PR team is obviously desperate.

As people have said it will all come down to results, I thought he got off lightly in this interview, as to whether it would have made much a difference, I don't know.

Just heard the line regarding his comments to the press:

"I tell it how it is". Hmm...

The response the question about the skills required to be a good manager is very worrying; people skills, being a good listener and working hard. Nothing specific to football, nothing about tactics.

He sounds like he's managing a business throughout the whole thing, not a football team.

Only listened to it briefly from what I heard, some generic answers and no real idea (or detail) of what direction he wants to take the club (and how he intends on doing it).

Seemed keen to get his answers in promptly and heard the party line, yet again, on many issues. No mention or proper acceptance that results throughout his tenure have been pretty dreadful.

Personally dont really trust a lot of what he says, plus being so overly positive as a person will always gloss over the cold hard facts.

Sounds a nice guy in the podcast though and for sure is a deep thinker!

The interview can be found on the front page.

Thanks for the feedback, both positive and negative. It is taken on board.

Of course I could have been more assertive, but I was very conscious all the time I was talking to Kean that it was better to take a more measured approach because I wanted him to answer ALL the questions and not become defensive.

Also in this kinda situation you can't just go in and adopt a aggressive approach, the interview would end immediately and so would any further co-operation from Rovers, this kinda thing is totally a new way of working for Rovers, they have never allowed any access to unofficial sites previously so it is all about building a relationship with them.

Personally I feel that we did manage to get a heck of a lot of information of him, first time he has talked about Sam, first time anyone from the club has actually talked about Kentaro/SEM, first time someone has confirmed that transfers are now in-house amongst many other things.

Please keep the feedback coming, both positive and negative, I am very much learning about doing interviews via podcasts etc so want feedback so that future ones can be better.

Great work Kamy! Really impressive stuff. You did well to maintain your perfect professional approach, I'd have become too emotional.

• Backroom

Brilliant well done Kamy, the club and fair play to Steve Kean for doing it, many wouldn't to be fair to him. It wont change opinions but have to give him credit there.

Archived