BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sven-Goran Eriksson

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Eriksson one of the SEM/Kentaro crew? I thought I remember reading on here that he is, in which case........ pardon my apathy, but what difference will it make (to almost quote the Smiths)? It might stop us giving the manager flak for a while, but those behind the scenes and their motives won't have changed and their front man will have much the same objective.

The difference it will make is that rather than having a win percentage of just 18% over the last 11 months with Kean as manager we might be able to even double that if we are managed by somebody who can handle the job. Somebody who has at least an ounce of credibility and respect in the footballing world for what he has achieved over the last 30 years. Somebody who has managed in the big time and is tactically astute, who would probably work out within 5 minutes of watching the players that they are not good enough to play 'passing football' and survive in this division. Eriksson might even know how to change the team's approach DURING a match. Some managers have the ability to stand on the touchline and make tactical alterations to the team. Steve Kean doesn't know how to do this.

I accept his links to Jerome Anderson make him far from my ideal candidate, but it seems Venky's are only going to take Anderson's advice on footballing matters. If that is the case we'd be better with a competent manager than a complete embarrassment like Kean. If it comes down to a straight choice between Sven and Kean I wouldn't hesitate to give Eriksson a chance. He'd struggle to do worse than Kean has. Kean has had his chance. Time for somebody else, anybody else, to be given a chance.

What has he done since he got the bullet from the England job ? He's been a disaster everywhere he's been. Sven or Kean ? It's a toss-up for me.

After 3 consecutive Quarter-Final appearances with England, narrowly missing out on the Semis on penalties in 2006, we didn't do quite as well in 2010 under Capello did we?

He went to Man City where they had just survived the previous season, he had 2 weeks to assemble a squad from nothing and managed to put up with Shinawatra whilst doing so. He had City in the top 6/7 all season before they finished top 10 (their highest PL finish I believe).

By all accounts he failed with Mexico. Didn't do much wrong with Ivory Coast considering he only got the job about a week before the World Cup started and they were in the same group as Brazil and Portugal. Can't really say much about Notts County as he wasn't their manager. At Leicester they were only 5points off 2nd when he got sacked. I bet they finish further behind that at the end of this season.

I wouldn't describe him as a disaster, especially when you look at his trophies before he got the England job.

I was told this afternoon that Kean should be gone by the weekend and that Eriksson would be his replacement.

However if I had a pound for every time a rumour like this developed I would have enough money to buy Rovers and sack Kean myself.

Sorry everyone. Yes this is what I was told earlier.

I think I'm just so desperate for good news I was hoping one of the ITKs might be able to corroborate.

We need someone with managerial nouse to get us through the rest of the season. I'd take Sven on a short term - at least he's credible and has experience and a decent track record.

Is Eriksson one of the SEM/Kentaro crew? I thought I remember reading on here that he is, in which case........ pardon my apathy, but what difference will it make (to almost quote the Smiths)? It might stop us giving the manager flak for a while, but those behind the scenes and their motives won't have changed and their front man will have much the same objective.

His agent for many years has been Athole Still, who runs his own agency. I have no idea what kind of relationship JA and SGE have, but Svennis at least is not an SEM client.

At least with Sven, he is a gentleman who is to be believed, in my opinion, not a liar, deluded or indeed lacking in knowledge and experience, he would go some way to improving our credibility as a club, no to mention results and of course, Faz is a local lad, ex Rover and he would be a major plus factor!

Has everyone forgotten Sven bailing out on us to go to Lazio back in the day? I personally wouldn't hold it against him were he to come here but I'm curious to not see it mentioned in the last couple of pages of this thread.

As it happens, I'm not sure he's the manager for a relegation fight. His last couple of jobs have been more than middling. I would prefer some other candidates over him.

But anything with a pulse is equal or better to Kean frankly so beggars can't be choosers.

If it's Sven & Faz then doesn't get my pulse racing.

However, would be a marked improvement on Kean.

Not sure if Faz still lives Langho way but seen him three times in last few days on A59. Coincidence, or something moving (don't forget, we are led to believe that Clements was shown round Brockhall whilst JJ still here !).

Has everyone forgotten Sven bailing out on us to go to Lazio back in the day? I personally wouldn't hold it against him were he to come here but I'm curious to not see it mentioned in the last couple of pages of this thread.

As it happens, I'm not sure he's the manager for a relegation fight. His last couple of jobs have been more than middling. I would prefer some other candidates over him.

But anything with a pulse is equal or better to Kean frankly so beggars can't be choosers.

Sven signed a contract at Rovers and was offered the Lazio job, his wife I understand is Italian and wished to stay there, Jack Walker who was a real Gentleman, agreed to tear up his contract, those kind of things along with people such as John Wiliams, gave our club lots of credibility and standing throughout the game!!

The most ardent, partisan six fingered dingle would be better than cocco

Sorry everyone. Yes this is what I was told earlier.

I think I'm just so desperate for good news I was hoping one of the ITKs might be able to corroborate.

We need someone with managerial nouse to get us through the rest of the season. I'd take Sven on a short term - at least he's credible and has experience and a decent track record.

I would cry with joy.

Literally

At least with Sven, he is a gentleman who is to be believed, in my opinion, not a liar, deluded or indeed lacking in knowledge and experience, he would go some way to improving our credibility as a club, no to mention results and of course, Faz is a local lad, ex Rover and he would be a major plus factor!

The way I heard it Faz was a rotten apple the last time he was here. My source reckoned he was directly responsible for Batty leaving Rovers which was in my opinion the start of the gradual decline at the club.

I was a bit hard on Sven descibing him as a " disaster ", let's just say he's not exactly set the world on fire. Nothing he's done in his career tells me he's the man for a relegation battle. As for the guy who reckoned Sven was smart enough to change tactics in mid game when required, you mean like he did in the England V Brazil World Cup game !

The way I heard it Faz was a rotten apple the last time he was here. My source reckoned he was directly responsible for Batty leaving Rovers which was in my opinion the start of the gradual decline at the club.

I was a bit hard on Sven descibing him as a " disaster ", let's just say he's not exactly set the world on fire. Nothing he's done in his career tells me he's the man for a relegation battle. As for the guy who reckoned Sven was smart enough to change tactics in mid game when required, you mean like he did in the England V Brazil World Cup game !

I heard that too but I have also heard that Batty played the 'big guy' with him, asking him what he'd done in football and that got Faz's back up, Hughes ridded himself of Parkes because he thought he was a snake in the grass!!

Got to draw your own conclusions!

What has he done since he got the bullet from the England job ? He's been a disaster everywhere he's been. Sven or Kean ? It's a toss-up for me.

His win percentage is between 40% to 46% at everywhere he's been since he left England. Hardly horrible.

And absolutely stellar compared to Kean's 18.75%.

And if we get relegated, he might stick with the Rovers (his pride is obviously in check) and may be a decent bet to get us back up.

Sven will get more out of the players. Perfect replacement in my opinion. He'll bring Derek Fazackerly in and that can only be a step forward. He wont come without the promise of funds either. His mates will get good quality to ewood.

However, would be a marked improvement on Kean.

Exactly.

I hope this rumor is true and that Kean is out. Upward and onward! :rover:

• Moderation Lead

I can't believe people are questioning getting Sven and Faz in, instead of Kean. SVEN IS A MANAGER!!

With experience, Kean is an imposter, with a wretched record, how are people not getting this?...

I heard that too but I have also heard that Batty played the 'big guy' with him, asking him what he'd done in football and that got Faz's back up, Hughes ridded himself of Parkes because he thought he was a snake in the grass!!

Got to draw your own conclusions!

From Batty's point of view that's a fair enough question, Faz was nothing more than a spear carrier for me, a very limited player, middle of the old div 2 at best. The way I heard it the dispute shall we say " got extremely heated " and Faz who had come off worst went crying to the then manager saying " it's either him or me out the door ".

Can't see Venky's sacking Kean though, If it happens I bet it's Director of Football.

DOF would probably work out as good as sacking Kean, no way would SGE put up with Kean going straight to Mrs D

Sven signed a contract at Rovers and was offered the Lazio job, his wife I understand is Italian and wished to stay there, Jack Walker who was a real Gentleman, agreed to tear up his contract, those kind of things along with people such as John Wiliams, gave our club lots of credibility and standing throughout the game!!

I also believe Sven had nothing but praise for Jack in how the entire situation was handled

Archived