BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ST holders should consider boycotting games?

You weren't sitting at Carrow Road with us 3-1 up but having a gut feeling that it wasn't enough and we needed a fourth goal because Norwich were going to come back and score. I'm not sure how you can write that sort of tosh when all the evidence is to the contrary.

I don't think it's tosh at all. We have improved, but do I think it's enough? No I don't.

I'm calling it as I see it. Most people have seen a change in performance since Clement came in.

The thing about the Norwich game is we initially set ourselves up well, but Kean's changes wrecked it all. I was seething when I was watching it. Their 2 goals didn't come from defensive errors, but what we let them do is gain confidence and belief by taking our main threats off and running scared.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of fans seem to confuse "playing well", with playing more of a passing game. Winning is playing well. Scoring more than you concede on a fairly regular basis, is playing well - however it's done. Continually losing and playing well doesn't compute.

haliflaminglujah

It's funny the most rabid, irrational anti Allardyce fans I know are much more likely to babble on about this supposed 'great football'.

I don't really think people should be too worried about the protest. We are seeing ambivalence to protesting because Rovers are playing quite well and have completely truthfully been unlucky to drop points.

We now have eminantly winnable games coming up. If we lose at Wigan then the protest will get into full swing. That's the nub of it. Kean is going to have to sustain the good performances and pick up points to keep his head above water.

Once the team starts playing badly the protest will pick up. While Rovers play well it will be difficult to drum up support.

I don't really think people should be too worried about the protest. We are seeing ambivalence to protesting because Rovers are playing quite well and have completely truthfully been unlucky to drop points.

We now have eminantly winnable games coming up. If we lose at Wigan then the protest will get into full swing. That's the nub of it. Kean is going to have to sustain the good performances and pick up points to keep his head above water.

Once the team starts playing badly the protest will pick up. While Rovers play well it will be difficult to drum up support.

Exactly. Protesting at games in which we play well and lose against superior opposition doesn't look good regardless of anyone's opinion of Kean. Blaming him for the defeats against Spurs and Chelsea is, quite bluntly, unfair considering that we probably would have been beaten under any other manager and we actually came close to pulling off decent results in both fixtures. These next few games are far more important. If Kean loses them, then that's a different story altogether.

• Backroom

A lot of fans seem to confuse "playing well", with playing more of a passing game. Winning is playing well. Scoring more than you concede on a fairly regular basis, is playing well - however it's done. Continually losing and playing well doesn't compute.

Agreed 100%. Nothing wrong with saying we've improved (not that it would have taken much) but until we start winning we're not playing well. You can only blame luck for so long.

I agree with you joey that getting a big percentage of Rovers fans to protest after a game we have 'competed in' just won't happen- the biggest show of dissent this season was when 4-0 down to City.

Now for me these protests are about 11 months of failure, winning, losing, playing like Barca or the Dog & Duck on the day shouldn't come into it, however most fans seem to make decisions game to game.

Fair point. Im not saying that Kean is the reason for playing well, Im just saying that the reason for why we havent picked up points over the past month has been as much down to sheer bad luck as anything else. Is bad luck a valid excuse? in most cases no, but against Norwich, Spurs and Chelsea I dont think Kean could have done much more. At the end of the day, winning is far more important than playing well, however I think that the amount of abuse Kean has got over the past 3/4 weeks is slightly harsh considering the performances of the team. He does need to go, but I think to blame him every single week, and to protest at every home game even when we play reasonably well against far stronger teams, is excessive.

+1

mm agree with you to a point and can see where you are heading.

Still doesn't absolve Kean from all the prior b/s though , and has been said would appear that Clement is the difference - maybe we should adopt him as manager ;)

You weren't sitting at Carrow Road with us 3-1 up but having a gut feeling that it wasn't enough and we needed a fourth goal because Norwich were going to come back and score. I'm not sure how you can write that sort of tosh when all the evidence is to the contrary.

Did you have bad seats at Carrow Road ;)

Surely you noticed we conceded a world class goal off the underside of the bar, a raggy 25 yard goal that hit the defender, bounced off the floor, looped up and skimmed in of the underside of the bar and then conceded the third to a total non penalty...I certainly wouldn't put those goals down to bad defending that time around.

I think we looked massively improved against Chelsea too - but I also believe there is still a long way to go, especially now Samba is out.

Whether you are pro or anti protesting I am hoping that the majority of us can agree on one thing. That being Steve Kean is not the man to lead us to premiership safety. How would the protest organisers feel about organising a mass exodus of Ewood for the next home game especially those who hold ST. I dont know exactly how many season ticket holders there are but surely a stay away from Ewood could be seen as a good idea by those who are both for and against the staging of protests. I feel that a 3/4 empty stadium would speak volumes in comparison to say 500 or so protesting after the final whistle.

I realise that people have spent good money on ST and would feel like they are losing out financially but the refusal to attend home games until action is taken may be the most viable courase of action.

Thoughts?

What's all this 500 protesting, Jeff Stelling counted them he says 50 so does Phil Thompson. It is time to stop these protests as they are definitely being counter productive. Roar the Team on they will win the way they are playing. The small minority complaining are just making idiots of the club

Did you have bad seats at Carrow Road ;)

Surely you noticed we conceded a world class goal off the underside of the bar, a raggy 25 yard goal that hit the defender, bounced off the floor, looped up and skimmed in of the underside of the bar and then conceded the third to a total non penalty...I certainly wouldn't put those goals down to bad defending that time around.

I think we looked massively improved against Chelsea too - but I also believe there is still a long way to go, especially now Samba is out.

I had very good seats thank you.

Both Norwich goals were lucky but the point I was trying to make I never felt the win was in the bag because the team is not set up properly defensively and Kean does not know how to close out a game. It's happened many times under his tenure and it is not a coincidence. The Norwich and Chelsea "performances" were better but, as has been said many times, we're still not winning. Give me a scrappy 1-0 win any day than thrilling defeats or draws. That's why I loved Sam Allardyce.

• Moderation Lead

Both Norwich goals were lucky but the point I was trying to make I never felt the win was in the bag because the team is not set up properly defensively and Kean does not know how to close out a game. It's happened many times under his tenure and it is not a coincidence. The Norwich and Chelsea "performances" were better but, as has been said many times, we're still not winning. Give me a scrappy 1-0 win any day than thrilling defeats or draws. That's why I loved Sam Allardyce.

The most reasonable post from Jim in quite some time, I nearly fainted! :lol:

I read it as though you were saying the other fella was talking tosh by saying we were improving in the way we defend - I agree with him.

I do agree with you and the "gut" feeling that we weren't going to win. I didn't think we would see it out at 3-1 up but I fully expected to be on the wrong end of either bad luck or poor decisions...which we were...again! I also expect us to concede shortly after half-time - which happens way too often.

I'm praying for change in fortune or manager, but I personally dislike Sam Allardyce in terms of his arrogance, footballing style and general persona, far more than I dislike Steve Kean. Each to their own though.

Archived