BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ST holders should consider boycotting games?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the ST holders will protest by not renewing next year.

I'd think there would be less than 10k renew if SK is still manager.

Funny that Kean's minority figures don't include the thousands that didn't renew since last year.

I travel from between York and Leeds for each game. I wont be doing that next year if Keans in charge. Its not just Kean its the way the club has treated fans. Turning the music up on the after match protest and banning banners. I wouldn't attend at present if I hadn't already got my ST (which I have had bar a couple of years break - when living in Malaysia/Ozz) for 20 years.

If hes still in charge after xmas - might just give my ticket away each game - if I can find anyone who wants it. When we got relegated last time there was never any doubt I would be back the next season but now due to the club and Kean's anti fan antics I feel very little attachment to the club.

There has been so much negative PR recently and they don't seem to want to counter it.

The negative PR for the fans is massive. I for one will NOT consider boycotting games.

For me this the biggie ... WHY?

Despite what we think of Venkeys they can't be where they are without understanding this. Which begs the question of what the 'secret' is that so many seem to know but are not willing to reveal yet could be the death knoll of Rovers?

Its bizarre in so much nobody knows now what is what or what is better for the good. Its no wonder there are Fans raising to argument and coming to blows and the apparent reports of 'internal' wranglings.

How can something that is so major not be out in the public domain?

Boycotting the game is not the answer, as at the end of the day there are games and points still to be won (if we can) which is what its all about really.

IMO the only way things will get resolved for better or worse is if someone/somebody turns 'whistle blower'.

I have to be honest and say that just isn't going to happen because the vast majority of Rovers fans don't see fit to protest because they see that the performances and efforts of the players have been far worthier than the amount of points we have actually achieved. Like it or not, the general consensus that I picked up on yesterday was that of feeling sorry for Steve Kean. The players are blatantly trying their all for him and aren't getting what they deserve in terms of points - which for me differs from the last time we were in serious trouble when Ince was in charge. I thought we were heading down that same path again a month or so ago when we rolled over and died for a couple of matches (I think against Newcastle and Villa?) but I must admit, the players are giving as good as they can game after game.

I personally don't think that Kean is the appalling manager and individual that people on here often make out - but unfortunately, I also don't have a decent solution to our lack of results other than changing the current management set-up and simply hoping for the best. Even though performances are generally decent, for whatever reason I just don't think it's going to work out for him or results will change quick enough to make a difference.

Make no doubt about it, we are well and truly up against it at the moment but we really need to stop the in-fighting and give 100% support to the team. It feels as though things are about to really kick off between supporters in the stadium and I'd personally like all Rovers fans to get behind the team and put aside any protesting during the entirity of the game starting from the next match. The plane was initially really funny but the timing was awful and every time it went around, I started to feel more embarassed because what was happening on the pitch didn't warrant it at that particular time (and to be fair in terms of effort and comittment it hasn't warranted it for weeks). I know to suspend the protesting would be very hard to do but I felt really proud to be a Rovers fan on Saturday when the crowd were singing "We love you Rovers" at the final whistle, regardless of the defeat. I feel this is the true message of the majority of Rovers supporters and through all of this squabbling, I believe we are finally getting a heart and soul back at the club.

Spot on.

I dont rate Kean, but even I can see that protesting at games where we've genuinely played well against far superior opposition, will look rather stupid.

I dont think you can particularly blame Kean for this weekend's defeat nor for the draw against Norwich.

If we play badly and lose against Wigan at home then that's a different story but over the past month or so we've actually been playing well and can, for once, point to some really bad luck.

Is Kean the right man? No, but to be honest, blaming him every week is getting boring. He's going to stay for a while longer. I think its just about time to accept it and move on.

Spot on.

I dont rate Kean, but even I can see that protesting at games where we've genuinely played well against far superior opposition, will look rather stupid.

I think its just about time to accept it and move on.

why what is there to be accept and move on to ? - protest when we just lose (which has been nearly for the majority) and it still has had no bearing despite the claim being he will be judged on results /judge us after a tfr window etc - its just a case of goalposts being moved all the time - how long must it go on?

As I have said before its not really the protesting that's the issue, its either the message not getting across properly OR its the fans being completely disregarded, and I know which side of the fence I sit.

Should we win manage a win in the near future all the better but it shouldn't sway from the fact of what has and is going on - in fact the irony too hit may help for the message to hit home.

The situation is just not acceptable and just rises to create a situation of fans to re-think their plan of actions.

It has been said that a change of direction is probably now required and visual it needs to be (protests etc) as its the only way fans can actually try to get messages across en masse.

With lack of response forthcoming from the club and the underhand shenanigans within us as fans cannot give up until the 'truth' is told/revealed.

Whatever this may be is for us all to wonder but Kean is the bottom rung to the ladder and needs to be taken away - it matters not what he does now - his lies ,disregard and disrespect to the fans cannot allow for him to remain at the club as it will not be forgotten.

Love rovers more than venkys

How do you separate the two, Abbey?

Venky's OWN the club. Venky's HIRED Steve Kean. Venky's BACK Steve Kean.

And you can make reference to the fact I don't come up, but even if I lived next-door to Ewood I wouldn't turn up while the club was being sold down the river. Trust and loyalty must work both ways.

Problem I have is, if the players are giving the manager their everything, where does that leave the fans? they know more then us, then train with him, they talk to him.

Is Kean their mate? do they believe in him? is it because he gave them fat contracts?

Either way it's hard not to be proud of the effort they put in.

Kean's an idiot and I doubt I'll ever change my mind, but I can handle it when we are doing well.

It's uncomfortable boo'ing when players give everything even if it is at the manager.

why what is there to be accept and move on to ? - protest when we just lose (which has been nearly for the majority) and it still has had no bearing despite the claim being he will be judged on results /judge us after a tfr window etc - its just a case of goalposts being moved all the time - how long must it go on?

As I have said before its not really the protesting that's the issue, its either the message not getting across properly OR its the fans being completely disregarded, and I know which side of the fence I sit.

Should we win manage a win in the near future all the better but it shouldn't sway from the fact of what has and is going on - in fact the irony too hit may help for the message to hit home.

The situation is just not acceptable and just rises to create a situation of fans to re-think their plan of actions.

It has been said that a change of direction is probably now required and visual it needs to be (protests etc) as its the only way fans can actually try to get messages across en masse.

With lack of response forthcoming from the club and the underhand shenanigans within us as fans cannot give up until the 'truth' is told/revealed.

Whatever this may be is for us all to wonder but Kean is the bottom rung to the ladder and needs to be taken away - it matters not what he does now - his lies ,disregard and disrespect to the fans cannot allow for him to remain at the club as it will not be forgotten.

Our last 4 results have seen 2 draws and 2 defeats. However, we played well in each game and were damn unlucky not to take more points from those 4 games. I dont blame Kean for us not beating Spurs or Chelsea, likewise throwing the points away at Norwich. Kean isn't the right man, but that doesn't mean he's to blame each and every week.

The message not getting across?? Well I, like many people, have watched the last few home games and have seen the team play well against better opponents. We've been very close to beating sides we probably shouldnt be beating and yet at the end of the game a small amount of fans decide to stay behind to shout about Kean being fired. In short, these are not the sorts of games where protests look good. If anything, they're making Kean actually look better. Many people seem to be sympathising with him because the abuse he's getting isn't warranted based on the last month.

If we play badly and lose at home to Wigan then fine, but to protest before the Arsenal game looked rather foolish after full time, the protests at the Spurs/Chelsea games also looked rather silly because we played well in both games against very good teams.

I dont think its fair to blame the manager when we fail to beat the likes of Chelsea and thats why these protests are being ignored. Any neutral who has watched the game on saturday would probably agree.

Our last 4 results have seen 2 draws and 2 defeats. However, we played well in each game and were damn unlucky not to take more points from those 4 games. I dont blame Kean for us not beating Spurs or Chelsea, likewise throwing the points away at Norwich. Kean isn't the right man, but that doesn't mean he's to blame each and every week.

The message not getting across?? Well I, like many people, have watched the last few home games and have seen the team play well against better opponents. We've been very close to beating sides we probably shouldnt be beating and yet at the end of the game a small amount of fans decide to stay behind to shout about Kean being fired. In short, these are not the sorts of games where protests look good. If anything, they're making Kean actually look better. Many people seem to be sympathising with him because the abuse he's getting isn't warranted based on the last month.

If we play badly and lose at home to Wigan then fine, but to protest before the Arsenal game looked rather foolish after full time, the protests at the Spurs/Chelsea games also looked rather silly because we played well in both games against very good teams.

I dont think its fair to blame the manager when we fail to beat the likes of Chelsea and thats why these protests are being ignored. Any neutral who has watched the game on saturday would probably agree.

The thing is we are still not winning - despite playing well etc and that has to be a bigger worry than if we where not playing well, but its not just about the Chelski game its the overall stature of what is going both on and off the pitch.

The disregard Kean has given to the fans is atonishing - and it matters not what a neutral thinks anyway as a neutral will only look at one game in general.

Its about Blackburn Rovers and not a neutral outlook.

If we are all being honest , protests don't really look good at any point but as its gone further than just 'a win ' now, and I will agree that the Kean going is in its own a seperate issue and the protests may not really reflect the situation but imo it reflects a general feeling.

How about the fans dont enter the stadium and protest outside and make it clear they refuse to enter until Kean has gone? That way the fans wont get the negative PR of not being bothered to do anything.

That would be brilliant. Everyone holds a vigil outside of the ground chanting for Steve Kean to resign, the ground is empty inside. If he leaves everyone goes in.

Unfortunately it will never happen without an amazing amount of organization and with some folks believing that he will dig us out of the hole of his own creation.

And he wouldn't even leave then.

How do you separate the two, Abbey?

Venky's OWN the club. Venky's HIRED Steve Kean. Venky's BACK Steve Kean.

And you can make reference to the fact I don't come up, but even if I lived next-door to Ewood I wouldn't turn up while the club was being sold down the river. Trust and loyalty must work both ways.

You want us to lose and don't care !

I agree its definitely worth considering after the dismissive way in which Venkys have treated the protests and would be more effective than whats been done so far. However it is undoable in my opinion. Money is hugely important to people round here, mainly because most of us haven't got very much of it. Thats often reflected in the attitude of our support, some free food or coach travel can double our away followings, tenner a ticket games can add 20% onto our home attendances, and the reverse can apply where even a reasonable increase to £20 for an all-PL 5th round cup tie results in only 5,000 turning up simply because it was double the price of previous rounds.

All this spells one thing, Rovers season ticket holders will not throw £12 down the drain to boycott a match they've already paid for. It just won't happen. What will happen is people just won't buy a season ticket next season.

How much of that do you put down to Kean? He's been in charge for almost a year of bad performances and inept tactics. I'm coming around to the notion that Paul Clement replacing Jensen has been the main reason for the upturn in our recent performances.

Boycotting games whether you're a season-ticket holder or an occasional attendee does not make any sense to me. I support Rovers and I'm desperate for us to stay in this league, so I'll be there whenever I can to shout for the team. The way I look at is I have been a Rovers fan for 50+ years and I will be a Rovers fan until I pop my clogs, while Kean is just another here-today gone-tomorrow manager who will eventually leave the club. Hopefully I will still be alive to see Venky's out of Ewood too. A boycott can only harm Rovers and will not help us get out of this predicament.

A lot of fans seem to confuse "playing well", with playing more of a passing game. Winning is playing well. Scoring more than you concede on a fairly regular basis, is playing well - however it's done. Continually losing and playing well doesn't compute.

Den, to be fair I think we have actually improved defensively. We're making very few errors during the game and are generally very tight as a unit and more organized than before. So it's not just a better passing game.

However, as has been said. More down to Clement's influence than Kean's improvement.

The problem is that even with limiting the opponent's chances and increasing our own, we're still losing.

Den, to be fair I think we have actually improved defensively. We're making very few errors during the game and are generally very tight as a unit and more organized than before. So it's not just a better passing game.

However, as has been said. More down to Clement's influence than Kean's improvement.

The problem is that even with limiting the opponent's chances and increasing our own, we're still losing.

QPR 1-1 Rovers

Rovers 1-2 Spurs

Rovers 4-3 Newcastle

Norwich 3-3 Rovers

Rovers 0-1 Chelsea

10 goals conceded in 5 games. We have improved defensively? :blink:

Den, to be fair I think we have actually improved defensively. .

You weren't sitting at Carrow Road with us 3-1 up but having a gut feeling that it wasn't enough and we needed a fourth goal because Norwich were going to come back and score. I'm not sure how you can write that sort of tosh when all the evidence is to the contrary.

How much of that do you put down to Kean? He's been in charge for almost a year of bad performances and inept tactics. I'm coming around to the notion that Paul Clement replacing Jensen has been the main reason for the upturn in our recent performances.

Fair point. Im not saying that Kean is the reason for playing well, Im just saying that the reason for why we havent picked up points over the past month has been as much down to sheer bad luck as anything else. Is bad luck a valid excuse? in most cases no, but against Norwich, Spurs and Chelsea I dont think Kean could have done much more. At the end of the day, winning is far more important than playing well, however I think that the amount of abuse Kean has got over the past 3/4 weeks is slightly harsh considering the performances of the team. He does need to go, but I think to blame him every single week, and to protest at every home game even when we play reasonably well against far stronger teams, is excessive.

Archived