BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Next

mark

1. Which manager could actually come in and save us?

2. More importantly, would they want manage us at the moment??

As mentioned in the Truce thread we have clueless owners and no executive team, meaning the manager has to carry out executive duties on top of being a manager. It must be one one the worst jobs in football right now..

Surely no manager capable of keeping us up would agree to work with such a bonkers set up. Would they???

Point being, as depressing as it is to type, better the devil you know?

Cue onslaught...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned in the Truce thread we have clueless owners and no executive team, meaning the manager has to carry out executive duties on top of being a manager. It must be one one the worst jobs in football right now..

Surely no manager capable of keeping us up would agree to work with such a bonkers set up. Would they???

Cue onslaught...

1. Hughes

2. No

No one can say with absolute certainty that a new manager will save us, but it will at least give us a fighting chance of staying up. 'Cause at the moment, we're jolly rogered.

Many managers would jump at the chance of working for Rovers. People seem to think managers want to work out of their love for the game. They do it for the money as much as anything else, like any other vocation. And it's not just the players who see Rovers as a potential stepping stone.

This 'devil' is taking us straight to the Ninth Circle of Hell. So no, not really.

Could you back this opinion up with a straight talking logic instead of a meaningless and out of context cliché please?

I'd go for Alan Curbishley or Steve Bruce, in that order.

Could you back this opinion up with a straight talking logic instead of a meaningless and out of context cliché please?

I'd go for Alan Curbishley or Steve Bruce, in that order.

It's not an opinion it's a question. You can tell that by the use of the question mark at the end

Hmm. The "cue onslaught" at the end said to me that "better the devil you know" was a suggestion, and the question mark was just a sign of being unsure about it. I could be wrong. Either way, if you're going to throw an idea like that out into the open, you've got to give it some justification.

Cue onslaught...

1. Hughes or Curbishley would be the best bets.

2. If enough money were on offer, I think they would.

And while they are hiring a manager, Venkys could also hire a chairman, fire Agnew and and properly fund the club. If they don't know how, they should call Kamy, ask him for some telephone numbers and dial the phone.

I think a lesser known candidate might work. Someone with the fire in the belly if there were a search for a new manager.

DiCanio is doing a good job at Swindon Town in League 2, the opening few games being a blip. Of course, I don't think he'd come even if someone wanted him which I doubt but it does go to show an unknown manager doing rather well in that league. Almost all wins and a few draws, no losses since September. And yes, looks like he has brought a few from Italy if you check their squad. http://www.soccerway.com/teams/england/swindon-town-fc/matches/ But I don't think DiCanio would be considered, it just shows what a manager can do though. He might be at West Ham or somewhere like that some day. I don't know how you would compare working in League 2 to the PL, PL much harder I would think.

Leicester City are definitely better after they terminated Erickson, to me, since their loss to Millwall and then Sven sacked and not counting the interim game, they are 3 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. Losses only by a goal. http://www.soccerway.com/teams/england/leicester-city-fc/matches/

Nottingham Forest are in the drop zone in the Championship League and have 4 straight losses, of course, McClaren and they parted ways some weeks ago. Won't take too much time to look at their record in depth.

So seeing how Curbs and Hughes are somewhat elite and with Hughes, a good manager but still draws a lot, perhaps there is a promising manager out there who could shore up the fortunes. I'll just say, I have a vague idea of someone not mentioned yet, not sure if he is suitable, I'd have to research it but has had some success.

DiCanio is doing a good job at Swindon Town in League 2

It would have to someone who has managed in the Premier League before. Paul Ince did well in League Two.

We wouldn't be able to afford any adjustment time, we just wouldn't be able to risk someone who has never managed in this league before. Sam Allardyce following Ince is the blueprint for avoiding relegation.

I'd be tempted to take a punt of Lee Clark.

Philip's mate claims there's been no contact with Sven:

sportingintel sportingintelligence

For #brfc fans hearing Sven rumours, just spoken to agent Athole Still: 'Unequivocally, no contact whatsoever, either way. None intended.'

It would have to someone who has managed in the Premier League before. Paul Ince did well in League Two.

We wouldn't be able to afford any adjustment time, we just wouldn't be able to risk someone who has never managed in this league before. Sam Allardyce following Ince is the blueprint for avoiding relegation.

Okay, we'd never get Jose Mourinho but there are plenty of examples where managers came in who did not manage in the PL previously, Wenger, Benitez and others.

I was using DiCanio as an example of what a manager can do for a team, I didn't cite him as an example to get. So league II is two rungs down but there might be someone who has managed in the Championship League. Just because someone manages in the same league of course, does not mean they are equal. Norwich's Lambert is not equal to Sir Alex Ferguson but I understand what you meant, not to be curt.

Okay, we'd never get Jose Mourinho but there are plenty of examples where managers came in who did not manage in the PL previously, Wenger, Benitez and others.

Of course there are loads of examples. I'm not thinking long term though, I'm thinking we need someone who understands the Premier League and would be able to come in and grind some results out straight away.

If you bring someone who has never been in the PL before then there's a good chance they'll need a bit of time to adjust. We wouldn't have that time, we would be relegated by then.

I'd have no problem going for a riskier appointment but with the potential for greater reward if we were in a solid league position, or if we were off season.

Souness for me. 6 month contract. Keep us up and see how things are in the Summer. He knows the club, knows the league and has been involved with Sky so still intouch with football. Straight talking too and would make us hard to beat.

Plus if he could find another Tugay it would be brilliant.

has already said he no longer wants to be a manager.. happy working for sky... less pressure and good money I imagine

Not to be a pessimist but Kean will be here until Venky's have bled us dry. If the club survives, I don't care who takes over, I'll just be glad I still have a team to support. But rest assured Mark Hughes or anyone with a name to shout about won't take over from Steve Kean.

Okay, so maybe I am a pessimist.

Archived