BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best team good enough?

All we have is,

Two decent goalies in Robinson and Bunn.

Two defenders in Givet and Samba.

Two midfielders in Olsson and Steve the big French lad.

and One forward in Yakubu.

All in all we could have a very good five a side team but nowhere near enough for a decent starting eleven for the premiership.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get all the Henley hype would be nowhere near the first eleven if not for injurys an contract disputes

Anyone with enthusiasm, energy and pace will look good in our current team.

He is raw - but has all the makings of a half decent player. He does get found out defensively at times - but his pace often allows him to get away with it.

I would have him in the team at right back - as it allows Lowe to move into midfield.

This has really made my point. Kean has been complaining about having 10 out and needing to get bodies back. But it really makes no difference. The squad is weaker than when he took over thanks to his dealings in the transfer market.

It's so hard to pick a best 11 because we have lost so much experience. And it's makes a mockery of his statement on Sept 1st that we have two players for every position.

Robinson

Henley Samba Dann Olsson

Simon Nzonzi Formica Lowe Hoilett

Yakubu

It's all quite simple for me, bring Rochina on for Formica/Hoilett/Simon depending on who is becoming most ineffective during each game.

Thankfully I'm not a manger.

Robinson

Henley Samba Dann Givet

Lowe N'Zonzi Vukcevic Ollson

Rochina

Yakubu

Bench: Bunn, Morris, Dunn, MGP, Petrovich (Andrews), Formica, Roberts.

Bunn's been great, but Robbo has the experience. And I think this break due to "injury" will be a good chance for him to re-charge his mental batteries. But assuming he's being sold (and I put nothing past Venkys), Bunn is an excellent keeper and we'll be fine.

As to center backs, Samba and Dann seem to be forming a partnership and can be quite formidable. What is Dann's ETA to return to the squad? In the meantime, Hanley does a decent bit of work but needs more tempering before he is the real deal.

As to fullbacks, Henley is a talent but is young and prone to mistakes. Givet is an experienced warrior playing out of his natural position. I would plant young speedy fullbacks in front of them in a midfield position (Lowe on the right and Ollson on the left) as their defensive instincts should provide Henley and Givet cover while their youth and speed should create a credible offensive threat (though Olsson's crosses need work).

N'Zonzi would be used as a midfield destroyer, sitting more or less in front of the center backs. Vukcevik has impressed me so far. I think he'll put in some creative effort and won't unduly neglect the defense.

Rochina has pace and is our best option to assist the Yak. If only he wouldn't hesitate to pass once he hits heavy traffic. Experience will cure him of this. Too bad he's acquiring it while we are in a fight to survive.

As to our center forward, the Yak, he has shined. My inner cynic thinks if he gets to 20+ goals this season, Venkys will look to offload him for 20 million or more, thereby recouping the vast portion of their investment in the Rovers in one go.

Dunn, MGP, Roberts are capable of good work but need to start on the bench. As experienced , aging veterans, the best way to get them to perform is to sting their pride a bit. If they know their chance to impress is limited to 20 minutes (plus/minus), I suspect they'll make the most of it.

Petrovic needs work and is, at best, a substitute. I'd be tempted to hold onto Andrews and use him as a substitute in lieu of Petrovich. He'd be equal to or better than Petrovich in the midfield and can double as a right back/right midfield substitute if something happens to Henley/Lowe.

Ditto Morris. He'd provide cover on the left defense/midfield if Givet/Ollson went down. If Samba/Dann went down, Morris would still go in as left midfield, with Olsson shifting back and Givet shifting toward the center.

I think Formica is a star in the making. I'd tell Rochina to run his heart out and, assuming no disasters on the injury front, replace him for Formica an hour in. Formica seems to have a tackle and so will help protect a lead but can move the ball forward and create chances.

Assuming he's fit, Yak would remain on the entire 90 minutes. The alternatives don't bear thinking about. If he is injured or tired, I'd actually put Formica (assuming he hasn't already replaced Rochina) in for Yak before I'd consider Roberts, and have the squad move to 4-4-2, with Rochina and Formica upfront.

So much for my lame effort to fantasize "What if I were manager of the Blackburn Rovers?"

Back to reality, however, whatever team is picked is good enough to survive. What we need is a manager capable to rationale team selection, well considered substitutions, with the brain power and presence to motivate a squad of prima donnas via a combination of positive and negative stimuli, and who'll get the fans, the all important 12th man, back onside. Kean is NOT up for it. If Venkys want the Rovers to survive in the PL, they should replace him immediately.

Ok, here's a curly one for you.

Given that Sir Kean is addicted to the 4-5-1 formation (at least for most of the game)...what would we do if the Yak suddenly suffered an injury?

Can any premier league (or even Championship) side realisitically survive with only one real goalscorer ? Where would our scoring power come from if Yak disappeared ?

Goodwillie? *cough*

Roberts? *cough cough*

Just about every single post in this thread has the Yak as the solo man up front, because realistically, there is no other option. Which worries me. Just saying.

Ok, here's a curly one for you.

Given that Sir Kean is addicted to the 4-5-1 formation (at least for most of the game)...what would we do if the Yak suddenly suffered an injury?

Can any premier league (or even Championship) side realisitically survive with only one real goalscorer ? Where would our scoring power come from if Yak disappeared ?

Goodwillie? *cough*

Roberts? *cough cough*

Just about every single post in this thread has the Yak as the solo man up front, because realistically, there is no other option. Which worries me. Just saying.

See above. Rochina and Formica up front of a 4-4-2.

I know it is not their usual positions, but they are both fast, fit, excellent ball handlers and I'd have to believe that Vukcevik is good enough to distribute the ball forward if Rochina and Formica get in position.

I know it is not their usual positions, but they are both fast, fit, excellent ball handlers and I'd have to believe that Vukcevik is good enough to distribute the ball forward if Rochina and Formica get in position.

I like the idea of Rochina and Formica up front as a possible option. They don't have Yaks brute force of course, but agreed they have the nimble speed that is sorely missing in the back up plodders Goodwillie and Roberts. Interesting. I'd like to see Kean try it out, at least for a half, maybe against Newcastle - possibly the last chance we'll get to have a game against top flight opposition that isn't a do or die relegation battle league match. Maybe give him a call, eh, and drop the suggestion ;). Surely Kean's own record must by now be showing him that 4-5-1, aside from the occasional lucky strike, isn't working for him the majority of the time, and you have to look at your opposition and field a team to match and exploit their set up? Not blindly field the same team each week and hope for the best?

Don't think our squad is good enough at the moment, simply put we don't have the players in certain key areas.

But I would put out a team along the lines of..

-------------------Robinson-------------------

-----------Dann-----Samba-----Givet-----------

-Lowe--------------Nzonzi--------------Olsson-

-------------Simon--------Formica-------------

-------------Rochina/jnr--------Yak-----------

Formations of course dependant on opposition, but except for Rochina/Jnr players should all have fixed roles (not fixed positions).

I know it is not their usual positions, but they are both fast

Formica...fast? Hmm.

Yakubu is the only player in the team whose position shouldn't be in doubt.

Almost every team plays with a physical presence up front, there is no way a team in a relegation scrap could get away with two small, inexperienced players like Formica and Rochina.

Formica...fast? Hmm.

Yakubu is the only player in the team whose position shouldn't be in doubt.

Almost every team plays with a physical presence up front, there is no way a team in a relegation scrap could get away with two small, inexperienced players like Formica and Rochina.

Which is why it is being discussed in the event the Yak is injured. Not as the primary mode of attack.

Rochina and Formica up front vs. Goodwillie/Roberts/Blackman/Slew*. To me, it is a no brainer and I'd gamble on Rochina and Formica.

* No insult intended toward Blackman and, especially, Slew, who may become genuine talents as they gain experience in the Reserves and on loan.

We are very close to a good team. Four players and a new manager and we can avoid relegation.

Jesus almost every club in the league could say something similiar. We signed 4 players last Jan as well, so lets just hope we have the 14M we'll need for a couple of loans and two kids who won't be ready till next season.

We are very close to a good team. Four players and a new manager and we can avoid relegation.

That's not very close to a good team!

Bleeding heck. That's almost half a team plus a new manager. The Titanic was very close to New York when it went down. Practically in the harbour.

Robinson/Samba/Givet/Olsson/Hoilett/Yakubu are our decent players. So I make it 5, plus a new manager. And that's 5 players just for a decent team.

It's a squad game. We won't be able to put our best team out every game.

Archived