BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kidd in 99

I recently began, somewhat painfully, to reminisce about the last time we found ourselves in such a poor position at this stage of a season. I'm struggling to recall, as I was too young then, what the general mood/outlook was at the time amongst the supporters. Was the level of anger, division, potential for protests etc.. anywhere near that of today? Is it that some of us are all now far more plugged in to 24hrSSN and online social media etc.. so it's all too easy to over scrutinise everything too rapidly and collectively panic, maybe a little like that fuel crisis last month?

We didn't bounce straight back up in 1999, yet we held onto Kidd for 14 games(good Niko article in the independent)) So i'd like to know more about and discuss what changes were needed and actually occurred back then for that decline to be reversed, perhaps to provide some interesting examples of a tried and tested way to move us forwards.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

99 was so much different for a lot of reasons but not least because the club was clearly hurting as much as the next fan. Jack's tears on relegation are a memory I'll never forget.

This lot don't hurt because they don't have any emotional attachment. We are just £ signs - and small ones at that.

Good thread. Totally different in 99. I know I'll be corrected if I've called this wrong but although the team wasn't good enough, they were trying. Kidd, out of his depth (a good coach (that was widely accepted, I don't recall him telling us he was a good coach, unlike SK)) as a manager but he meant well. Didn't lie. Didn't try and divide the fans. Didn't try and twist the truth.

The main difference though was Jack. We knew we had people in place who cared passionately about the club and there was a general feeling that we would make it back up. Even then it was hard work. It'll be a few years to say the least this time, if ever.

"Rubber dinghy men"? Even if this lot could be bothered blowing them up they'd probably find that someone has already slashed them. Which kind of explains why they can't be bothered blowing them up really doesn't it?

Kidd was the anti-thesis of Kean. He blamed himself most of the time - far too much in fact.

If Kidd lost a game, you could see the agony. If Kean loses the game he bleats about how long we were at 0-0 or how many times we were in an opponents box - as though it matters. It's one thing wistfully cursing the thickness of a post, but the constant "taking of positives" (read "manufacturing of positives") was (still is) like "taking the ####".

Kidd wouldn't have dared patronise the board/owner like that.

But that was back when it was a proper football club, worrying about things like, y'know, football.

Totally agree with the above. The players tried, the manager tried and everybody in the background was working in the interest's of the club. It was obvious we were not good enough but there was passion.

The night we eventually went down against United, was gutting but personally wasn't angry, remember going to the pub after the game and the concesus amongst our group was that it will be a bit of a change for the next season visiting some different grounds again away from the sterile atmosphere of the Premier League, we were quite upbeat about the future. We were confident we would be back in one or two seasons, we were confident a team would be rebuilt to gain promotion and a management structure in place sustain a mid table position in the Premier League.

We were proud of our club for successfully mixing it with the big boys for a few seasons. I must admit the next day watching a recording of it and the camera panning on Jack with tears in his eyes , did make me blubber a bit.

That particular camera shot reinforced my belief we would be back

Like many people on here I remember the days of the old div 3 and 2 and it was a pipe dream for us to reach Div 1 (premiership) and like many on here I can admit we have punched above our weight and as long as Rovers players and its management gave 100% and took pride in being part of our historic club then I was happy.

This time round all I feel is anger and a feeling that Blackburn Rovers football club, its pride , its history, its tradition, the respect it commanded, the joy it gave me over a period near on 40 years, and everything the club represented to me and many others is in its final throws.

Unfortunatley he made some awful signings at 4m a pop like blake, ward and tried to build the team round mcateer who was never a top midfielder. I remember we had 6 strikers that season!!

In regards to my feeling obviously it was bad at the time, but not towards anyone in per (fransen) ticilar. That was sarcy btw. But i had full confidence that things would be put right and after a poor season we were promoted the year after

I seem to remember the forest game the fans opinion of the players performance was not that favourable, also fans did kick off with each other. I remember one bloke giving the team dogs abuse and a woman told him to support the players. He went mental at her and when her hubby got involved it got a bit nasty. Thankfully everyone agreed with the woman and restrained him until the stewards threw him out.

For me though Kidd signed some average players but also signed Matt Jansen And for that he has my respect.

Agree with the others though, Kidd did care he just didn't know how to turn it around. Kean just gives us talk of Europe like nothing is wrong......

The whole thing was totally different. The owner had class, the incompetent and failing manager had class and the support was united in believing that together a return to the top flight was possible.

This time it would be difficult to imagine football club owners who have so little class. Our manager is a deluded, incompetent chancer and looks like being here for the future. The support is being decimated as long term fans desert Ewood

in their droves.

The only thing the current manager and owners will be concerned about is extracting as much cash as they can for themselves from the diabolical situation they have placed the club in. All through greed and the utmost stupidity.

I agree with the other posts r.e. the last time we got relegated. The set-up was completely different. We had people with knowledge of how to run a club at every level and most importantly Jack was still around at that point.

I do remember us playing some bad football at times though....

• Backroom

The players were trying, but there were also divisions in the dressing room from Hodgeson's reign at the club which never healed. The atmosphere was not good in the 98/99 season and a lot of the players were unhappy at the club.

I remember being incredibly sad, but confident we'd come back up soon as Jack would ensure we had a good crack at the First Division.

In comparison, I feel nothing but despair about the future of the club now and don't see a way back for us.

Unfortunatley he made some awful signings at 4m a pop like blake, ward and tried to build the team round mcateer who was never a top midfielder. I remember we had 6 strikers that season!!

In regards to my feeling obviously it was bad at the time, but not towards anyone in per (fransen) ticilar. That was sarcy btw. But i had full confidence that things would be put right and after a poor season we were promoted the year after

But he signed Janson, McAteer did alright for us really, his goal at Turf Moor took us on our journey back to the prem, up to that stage, Burnley were above us in the league!!

Kidd worked hard and was a real honest lad, pity it didnt work out for him but he made no excuses.

That night we went down I like many stayed behind for what now seems like ages, we all chanted Jack's name over and over because we hurt for Jack more than the fact the dream was over. I wont be staying behind this time, sorry but the love has gone it's not the Rovers I grew up with anymore thanks to Venkys and Kean.

As for Kidd he was rubbish. We all got excited when he came running down from the stands and started to sort our god-awful defence but that was as good as it got. A very nice, honest bloke and all that, very good to have round when players needed a cuddle I was once told, but as the governor he was way out of his depth. Tactically inept, fit players rapidly lost fitness and there was a general serious attitude problem. His signings were mixed IMO. Some were truly shocking; Ashley Ward's only redeeming features was being able run for 90 mins and having an incredibly fit missus, Carsley had a heart but not much else, Gillespie was incredibly inconsistent (now we know why) and the eagle just added insult to injury after giving Soton all that dosh for Davies (who wasn't handled well by the club to be fair). But Craig Short and Simon Grayson gave good service, Jansen speaks for himself and no one could've have predicted the incredible lack of enthusiasm from Frandsen, that can't be blamed on Kidd. I don't think Jason Mac was bad but he shouldn't have been a player to build a team around.

Kidd was rubbish, the players were rubbish, the home kit was rubbish but we still had Jack and a decent club at the heart of it all, something we haven't got today.

That night we went down I like many stayed behind for what now seems like ages, we all chanted Jack's name over and over because we hurt for Jack more than the fact the dream was over. I wont be staying behind this time, sorry but the love has gone it's not the Rovers I grew up with anymore thanks to Venkys and Kean.

Kidd was rubbish, the players were rubbish, the home kit was rubbish but we still had Jack and a decent club at the heart of it all, something we haven't got today.

I remember the last game of the season when we took the lead at Newcastle; immediately we started a chant of "One-nil to the Nationwide" [then the Football League's sponsors].

Can anybody imagine a similar self-deprecatory sense of humour if we take the lead at Chelsea? I certainly can't - it's that word again: "Pride".

I recently began, somewhat painfully, to reminisce about the last time we found ourselves in such a poor position at this stage of a season.

Like today, the 1999 relegation should not have happened and was down mainly to poor managerial choices by Jack Walker after the departure of Dalglish. Hodgson caused all sorts of rifts in the dressing room and Kidd was a disaster appointed by Jack to cock a snook at his hated Man United where Kidd was assistant manager. Kidd did however bring Jansen to the club, his one redeeming act.

This impending relegation feels more like 1966 than 1999, with the club in decline and disarray on and off the field. Rovers in fact almost won promotion straight back to the old first division the following year but were pipped at the post by Coventry, who then stayed in the top flight for 30 + years while Rovers declined further over the next 5 - 10 years hitting rock bottom in the lower reaches in the old third division. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

Spent lots of money on flights....and went to West Brom, Liverpool at home and then Swansea. Hoped for 4 points and got ZERO.

Had to try and push them forward....lucky scarf,underpants,routes etc. Got ZERO in terms of tactics and energy and heart from the 2 away matches.

Felt sorry for Robbo and Dunny at Swansea,but everyone else looked out of their depth...and Yak looked detached.

Sorry guys it looks like '66. Support BRSIT as the Insurance policy against 'meltdown'.

Good thread. Totally different in 99. I know I'll be corrected if I've called this wrong but although the team wasn't good enough, they were trying. Kidd, out of his depth (a good coach (that was widely accepted, I don't recall him telling us he was a good coach, unlike SK)) as a manager but he meant well. Didn't lie. Didn't try and divide the fans. Didn't try and twist the truth.

Bang on the money bob :tu:

• Backroom

Like today, the 1999 relegation should not have happened and was down mainly to poor managerial choices by Jack Walker after the departure of Dalglish. Hodgson caused all sorts of rifts in the dressing room and Kidd was a disaster appointed by Jack to cock a snook at his hated Man United where Kidd was assistant manager.

To be fair Jim, Hodgeson's first season was decent and his managerial record was very good before he joined us. I don't think anybody was massively disappointed when he was given the manager's position and it was only in Woy's second season that the whole thing went pear-shaped.

Appointing Kidd was a big mistake, though, and a strange one. I'm sure we could have done better.

As for Kidd he was rubbish. We all got excited when he came running down from the stands and started to sort our god-awful defence but that was as good as it got. A very nice, honest bloke and all that, very good to have round when players needed a cuddle I was once told, but as the governor he was way out of his depth. Tactically inept, fit players rapidly lost fitness and there was a general serious attitude problem. His signings were mixed IMO. Some were truly shocking; Ashley Ward's only redeeming features was being able run for 90 mins and having an incredibly fit missus, Carsley had a heart but not much else, Gillespie was incredibly inconsistent (now we know why) and the eagle just added insult to injury after giving Soton all that dosh for Davies (who wasn't handled well by the club to be fair). But Craig Short and Simon Grayson gave good service, Jansen speaks for himself and no one could've have predicted the incredible lack of enthusiasm from Frandsen, that can't be blamed on Kidd. I don't think Jason Mac was bad but he shouldn't have been a player to build a team around.

All the players you mentioned above would walk into our team if they were around now!

But he signed Janson, McAteer did alright for us really, his goal at Turf Moor took us on our journey back to the prem, up to that stage, Burnley were above us in the league!!

Kidd worked hard and was a real honest lad, pity it didnt work out for him but he made no excuses.

granted jmc will always be a hero due to that moment but he was a poor midfielder. He was a decent fullback at best!

With regards to jansen i agree but i memory serves he was linked with utd and a host of clubs wanted him too so it wasnt a kiid stroke of genius or anything he just had the funds to do what most others wanted to do!

A couple of comparisons I can draw between 99 and now are;

We had a manager out of his depth and great players and servants were replaced by inferior players.

Kidd spent an obscene amount of money on dross, and was an awful manager (2nd only behind kean IMO) but was a decent, genuine fella, well respected in the game.

On the night we were relegated, I was in tears as I chanted for Jack. It was one of the most emotional and proudest nights as a rovers fan.

This year, the tears will only be bitter ones :(

A couple of comparisons I can draw between 99 and now are;

We had a manager out of his depth and great players and servants were replaced by inferior players.

Kidd spent an obscene amount of money on dross, and was an awful manager (2nd only behind kean IMO) but was a decent, genuine fella, well respected in the game.

On the night we were relegated, I was in tears as I chanted for Jack. It was one of the most emotional and proudest nights as a rovers fan.

This year, the tears will only be bitter ones :(

Man up FFS, the last thing we need is sky homing in on your ugly mug covered in tears ;)

Archived