BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodgson for England?

Baz

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fail to see how Harry Redknapp is in any way a preferable as England manager to Roy Hodgson.

Roy has the skills, experience and know how that Redknapp never will.

He started off like a house on fire, I'd never seen a Rovers team work so hard at getting the ball back. Up front we were really potent in attack playing a loose sort of 4-2-4 when we had the ball and 4-4-2 when we lost it. High work rate and good intensity of play. Thing is the players were nearly all players that were there when he arrived. We were going great and we'd only lost one league game until we played Man U away at the end of November. For that game he bottled it and changed the system to a much more defensive 4-5-1 and we got really battered 4-0, and we were lucky to get 0. I believe harsh words were exchanged between several senior players and Roy boy concerning the change in formation in the dressing room after the game. Things were said that couldn't be un-said and a rift developed. Although we won our next three games we only won 5 more games after that, all of them at home. Our away form ( always a barometer of team morale ) was shocking, we lost every away game bar one.

The next season carried on in that vein and the club became a shambles, in my view Jack had no alternative but to sack him. It's just he chose the wrong replacement in Kiddo.

Managers live or die ( apart from Kean that is ) by their signings and in my humble opinion Roy's were awful with the exception of Henchoz and John Filan. The idea is to replace good players with better players and then replace them by great players. Roy did it in reverse.

Patrick Valery, made John Bray look like a finely honed athlete. The only pro I've ever seen who couldn't actually jump off the ground for headers.

Martin Dahlin, crocked when he came. Big money signing who did nothing.

Anders Andersen ?

Tore Pedersen ?

Alan Fettis, could be our worst ever goalie.

Callum Davidson, Just not good enough, probably wouldn't even get in the team we've got now !

Nathan Blake, lazy lump, another big money signing that wasn't up to the standard.

Kevin Davies, say no more.

Sebastian Perez, decent player but never settled.

Christian Bloody Dailly. Accident waiting to happen, thing is you never had to wait too long.

Dario Marcolin ?

Jimmy Corbett ?

Last but not least the colossus that was Darren Peacock, came from that fine line of calamitous Newcastle centre halves. A white Titus Bramble.

There may be more, thankfully I don't remember them.

Let's not have any more revisionism, Roy was a disaster at the end and Jack being Jack backed him to the hilt. He started the rot and Kiddo picked up the baton. Another appointment and we may have gone on to greater things, we'll never know.

I was left with the feeling the Roy couldn't manage big clubs, at that time we were one of the biggest, certainly financially and that's what counts as we're now finding out !

His experience at Liverpool bears that out.

The worst thing that happened to Kevin Davies is that wonder goal he bagged for Chesterfield in their great cup run. He subsequently joined Southampton and played as a wide right midfielder.

As for Allardyce and England manager, well i don't think thats a bad shout really. England dream of playing the Spanish style keep ball, but i've thought for a long while that we'd have a better chance of success if we went long, direct and ugly. I mean no offence and this is not said sarcastically, but who better to coach a side like that? Mourinho reverts to a less obvious type during tough matches and he's hailed as a genius. Big Sam is vastly under rated. It might be grim to watch but it does seem to work.

My thoughts entirely patrick. Football is about winning and that is that. Winning in style is just a cherry on the top. The only difference between Allardyce and Mourhino is off the pitch. That Mourhino has bucketloads of charisma and cool whilst Allardyce struggles somewhat in that department.

He bought one of rovers best ever signings in Stephane Henchoz. Also signed some good foreign players who unfortunately failed to settle, all in all though he didnt get masses to spend, considering jack was there.

That was the biggest disappointment to me. I wrongly thought that his expertise and Jacks money could have made us a massive and extremely profitable club. At that time Seria A was awash with money. It was the millionaires playground and the league that every aspiring 'worldie' wanted to play in. Hodgson had full access to Inter Milans extensive scouting network yet seemed to leave it behind. All the worlds best young players available yet we got a few 'B' stars and a faded and crocked ex superstar who ultimately cost BRFC / JW big style. <_< There was a funny smell to that one imo.

Add the Souness sleaze with Grabbi and the Rangers scam etc then throw into the mix a customer base that will not pay the going rate to watch Prem football and it's small wonder the Trust wanted to off load is it? Who the hell wouldn't when their fingers had been burnt so often?

I was.

Edit,

That makes me sound like a smug pr1ck who spouts off in hindsight. That fact is, Hodgson was a proven top level manager and, despite some poor signings, we still had the quality to get out of the mire. I'm almost certain we'd have comfortably stayed up.

Thanks largely to 'Two Faced Tim' (thank you Dave Metcalfe) he'd lost the dressing room. It's a long way back when that happens.

I wonder why the state of debate has declined so much around here when posters like you have so much to offer?

By the way, I thought you'd have appreciated my Allardyce comments earlier this evening.

Perhaps i missed it whilst changing my nappy.

Deary me Jim.

Cut him some slack Patrick.... Jim has a reputation of his own making to live up to.

Whereas Carsley was actually signed by Kidd (and was not a good signing, btw).

I thought Carsley was OK. A bit like Kevin Davies.... He 'came to' under a good manager (Moyes). One thing is for certain after not pursuing Jermaine Jones we could have certainly have done with Carsley as a getter and giver this season.

I fail to see how Harry Redknapp is in any way a preferable as England manager to Roy Hodgson.

Roy has the skills, experience and know how that Redknapp never will.

Disagree. Redknapp is a good tactical manager and imo leaves Hodgson way behind in the motivational stakes. And motivational ability is absolutely all important for a National manager.

Let's not have any more revisionism, Roy was a disaster at the end and Jack being Jack backed him to the hilt. He started the rot and Kiddo picked up the baton. Another appointment and we may have gone on to greater things, we'll never know.

Indeed. It seems that having ascended to the England manager's job, some fans want to start rewriting the past and calling it how knew Hodgson was always a good'un. The fact of the matter is that Hodgson's reign here ended in disaster and he wasted a huge chunk of Jack's money in the process. There was no going back for him after he lost the dressing room and lumbered us with a bunch of expensive flops. Sadly, Kidd would go on to repeat that mistake, although at least Matt Jansen was one good thing to come out of Kidd's legacy.

I thought Carsley was OK. A bit like Kevin Davies.... He 'came to' under a good manager (Moyes). One thing is for certain after not pursuing Jermaine Jones we could have certainly have done with Carsley as a getter and giver this season.

Carsley was good at taking pens. That was about it. Souey recognised his limitations and got rid.

We did undoubtedly overspend on guff, but would negotiating the transfer fee have been Hodgson's responsibility?

I'd suggest not.

He would have identified the players, which is bad enough, but I feel that suggesting that he was responsible for the overinflated fees paid for them is unfair.

Nothing to do with Roy but I thought Carsley was OK as well. He was a spear carrier but then every team needs one, even now.

Don't you mean "water carrier" ? Agree Carsley was a solid player and would have been a first pick in the present Rovers side.

I'm in favor of issuing spears to the entire team, not just one.

Might be the only way we'd scare the opposition and they could either turn them on Kean or fall on them at the end of the Wigan game depending on how they feel. (Sorry Glenn, not actually advocating violence against the manager here. Just a joke)

Archived