BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodgson for England?

Baz

Harry Redknapp has struck gold at Spuds, for the most part he's been a decent wheeler dealer who's done reasonably well.

Just because he's tight with the media though- doesn't mean anything in terms of his England manager capabilities. Hodgson has won trophies and managed abroad, and managed internationally, how he isn't more suitable I'll never know, seems people only want to remember him for his time with the Scousers (even when he had a better record than King Kenny.....)

Well us Rovers fans also remember his less than great time here too. Sacked with us bottom after buying Kevin Davies remember....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone really pinpoint where it went wrong for Roy here? We got off to an absolute blinder in 97/98 and looked like early season title contenders, then things went pear-shaped and we only just salvaged an Uefa cup spot on the last day of the season. And of course, the less said about 98/99 the better.

The tabloids are Englands worst enemy

Totally agree with this. The tabloids are run by a bunch of hideous tossers whose only concern is shifting papers by putting as much of a hysterical and negative spin on any given event. They are the enemy of anything constructive - in politics, football or anything else.

Can anyone really pinpoint where it went wrong for Roy here? We got off to an absolute blinder in 97/98 and looked like early season title contenders, then things went pear-shaped and we only just salvaged an Uefa cup spot on the last day of the season. And of course, the less said about 98/99 the better.

Dunno but there was a pundit on the Radio citing Hodgeson getting us into the UEFA as one point to why is been successful in England outside Liverpool which I thought was a bit silly because at the time we still had most of the title winning squad and us finishing in the UEFA places wasn't the achievement it would be today.

Its a big approval from me for Roy...Harry apart theres no one else.....Sensible alternatives ..there justt aint anythere...Roy conducts himself perfect in front of camera..In the dugout we see a different person..tantums and grimaces at every near miss and mistake so not the same man that speaks to the cameras..hope he can get the players to enjoy playing in the Euros than freeze under the stress of it..We need another Gazza to lighten things up..then we might go that bit further .

The lack of backing from Sherwood and then signing Kevin Davies

The Sun are on a massive hate campaign to destroy Roy's reputation already. They have a back page tomorrow saying the Germans have no idea who he is, bit of a digrace really. Im starting to think Roy may be the England manager I have wanted to do the best since Bobby.

How many English players could name the German manager before the SA World Cup? He did Ok didn't he?

Well us Rovers fans also remember his less than great time here too. Sacked with us bottom after buying Kevin Davies remember....

History now tells us that Kevin Davies is a good player and a good pro. We (Hodgson) just played him wrong. Allardyce spotted his potential as an excellent 'back to goal' target man and exploited it to the full. Maybe Allardyce should really be the new England manager?

Totally agree with this. The tabloids are run by a bunch of hideous tossers whose only concern is shifting papers by putting as much of a hysterical and negative spin on any given event. They are the enemy of anything constructive - in politics, football or anything else.

Unfortunately the Red Top tabloid sh1t is just a reflection of the great British public. They simply provide what the great unwashed want to read.

History now tells us that Kevin Davies is a good player and a good pro. We (Hodgson) just played him wrong. Allardyce spotted his potential as an excellent 'back to goal' target man and exploited it to the full.

The worst thing that happened to Kevin Davies is that wonder goal he bagged for Chesterfield in their great cup run. He subsequently joined Southampton and played as a wide right midfielder.

As for Allardyce and England manager, well i don't think thats a bad shout really. England dream of playing the Spanish style keep ball, but i've thought for a long while that we'd have a better chance of success if we went long, direct and ugly. I mean no offence and this is not said sarcastically, but who better to coach a side like that? Mourinho reverts to a less obvious type during tough matches and he's hailed as a genius. Big Sam is vastly under rated. It might be grim to watch but it does seem to work.

Two things:

He had been out of England for years before hand and brought continental coaching methods and expected continental attitudes as to self discipline and training at a time when drink and jollies culture was still prevaillent within our game. As somebody said he expected players to spend their days at the club and players like Sherwood revolted, massive shame really because if they had listened we would never had gone down and probably kicked on and potentially pushed for trophies especially since we had Jack around still.

Secondly, I think continental management was very different at the time to British management. Abroad they had people responsible for the specific recruitment of players, the "coach" could identyfy who he wanted and the recruitment guy (similar to what comoli was at Liverpool) would be responsible for signing that player, Roy never had that experience let alone management of the sort of cash we could throw around.

He bought inferior players instead of buying better players than he already had very similar to what we see with Steve Kean.

Annoys me people who say this. Hodgson in his first season got us into a respectable 7th place and Europe after a dreadful season the year before. We played some decent footy had 2 of the top scores in England (sutty and gally) and in fact we where top of the league in December, however jack wouldnt release more funds for us to go full throttle.

Second season, yes we had a bad start, however it was only early October and I would have put my mortgage on it that we would have stayed up had he stayed. Was a very harsh decision and John Williams a few years later said it was a decision he did regret for some time.

He bought one of rovers best ever signings in Stephane Henchoz. Also signed some good foreign players who unfortunately failed to settle, all in all though he didnt get masses to spend, considering jack was there.

Annoys me people who say this. Hodgson in his first season got us into a respectable 7th place and Europe after a dreadful season the year before. We played some decent footy had 2 of the top scores in England (sutty and gally) and in fact we where top of the league in December, however jack wouldnt release more funds for us to go full throttle.

Second season, yes we had a bad start, however it was only early October and I would have put my mortgage on it that we would have stayed up had he stayed. Was a very harsh decision and John Williams a few years later said it was a decision he did regret for some time.

He bought one of rovers best ever signings in Stephane Henchoz. Also signed some good foreign players who unfortunately failed to settle, all in all though he didnt get masses to spend, considering jack was there.

Memory fails me somewhat, but did he sign Sebastian Perez? I always thought he had a bit about him. Good in the tackle and covered a lot of ground.

I must be honest, i don't look back on Roy's time here as a bad period in our history. Yes he made some poor signings, but he'd have done OK in time.

Seriously?

Hodgson was given over £20m to spend by Jack in 1998/1999 and he even broke our transfer record with the signing of Davies. When he was sacked the team was rock bottom, a total shambles, and he lost the dressing room. I wonder at the time how many of us were confident that Hodgson was capable of keeping us up?

Seriously?

Hodgson was given over £20m to spend by Jack in 1998/1999 and he even broke our transfer record with the signing of Davies. When he was sacked the team was rock bottom, a total shambles, and he lost the dressing room. I wonder at the time how many of us were confident that Hodgson was capable of keeping us up?

I was.

Edit,

That makes me sound like a smug pr1ck who spouts off in hindsight. That fact is, Hodgson was a proven top level manager and, despite some poor signings, we still had the quality to get out of the mire. I'm almost certain we'd have comfortably stayed up.

Experience counts for nothing if you've lost the players and bought poorly. Nathan Blake? Christian Dailly? Kevin Davies? They all turned out to be expensive flops who we paid waaaaaaaaay over the asking price for.

Hindsight doesn't really have anything to do with it. Hiring Kidd does not negate sacking Hodgson. Uncle Jack got that decision correct but ballsed up Hodgson's replacement when we needed a proven manager to steer us away from danger.

Glad Hodgson got the job cos if anything it's shut the smug Southern journo's up with their Redknapp love in. I see The Sun is already out for blood. And people wonder why the average man in the street couldn't give a John Terry about out national side, it's a feckin joke.

I was.

Edit,

That makes me sound like a smug pr1ck who spouts off in hindsight. That fact is, Hodgson was a proven top level manager and, despite some poor signings, we still had the quality to get out of the mire. I'm almost certain we'd have comfortably stayed up.

Maybe you were in the kindergarten when Hodgson was here but he had well and truly lost the plot (and the dressing room) with the team a shambles on the field and players divided into factions off it. The "quality" was a load of average players for whom Hodgson paid far too much money and there was little doubt we were heading for relegation. Jack Walker was accused of panicking by axing Hodgson when really he should have acted much earlier.

Experience counts for nothing if you've lost the players and bought poorly. Nathan Blake? Christian Dailly? Kevin Davies? They all turned out to be expensive flops who we paid waaaaaaaaay over the asking price for.

Hindsight doesn't really have anything to do with it. Hiring Kidd does not negate sacking Hodgson. Uncle Jack got that decision correct but ballsed up Hodgson's replacement when we needed a proven manager to steer us away from danger.

we did pay over the odds for the above. No two ways about it. Jack made the correct decision if he was aiming for another tilt at the title. But i think Jack knew it wasn't that simple. Roy did not cover himself in glory by any means, but i'm sure we'd have been safe under his management. He should have delivered more and it was our 2nd chance of hitting the big time. But Roy was OK and i'm certain, with Jacks money, in time would have built a side capable of competing in the top 6 of the PL.

Maybe you were in the kindergarten when Hodgson was here

[/quote

I wonder why the state of debate has declined so much around here when posters like you have so much to offer?

By the way, I thought you'd have appreciated my Allardyce comments earlier this evening.

Perhaps i missed it whilst changing my nappy.

Deary me Jim.

£20illion over 2 season in terms of jack walker wasn't mega bucks. Yes he made flop signings but also made really good signings. Every manager makes mistakes. Henchoz was a brilliant signing and players such as valery, and Perez where actually decent players but just couldnt settle. Also players such as davidson and filan turned out to be decent signings for relatively nothing. Kevin Davies was just a freak signing, he was touted by most teams in the country at the time and rovers put up the money and unfortunately he didn't ever really turn out how anybody expected him to. Carsley was a good signing.

Daily, Blake etc where all kidds signings by the way.

And maybe he lost the dressing room because players like sherwood etc where still in the mindset that they where the best in the country and should be topping the league when clearly 3 years after we had won the league, the quality of players had vastly improved and they simply weren't the top players any longer, and IMO they still thought they were.

£20illion over 2 season in terms of jack walker wasn't mega bucks. Yes he made flop signings but also made really good signings. Every manager makes mistakes. Henchoz was a brilliant signing and players such as valery, and Perez where actually decent players but just couldnt settle. Also players such as davidson and filan turned out to be decent signings for relatively nothing. Kevin Davies was just a freak signing, he was touted by most teams in the country at the time and rovers put up the money and unfortunately he didn't ever really turn out how anybody expected him to. Carsley was a good signing.

Daily, Blake etc where all kidds signings by the way.

And maybe he lost the dressing room because players like sherwood etc where still in the mindset that they where the best in the country and should be topping the league when clearly 3 years after we had won the league, the quality of players had vastly improved and they simply weren't the top players any longer, and IMO they still thought they were.

Mate, if you're going to enter a debate at least do some homework.

Hodgson spent £20m in just a few months. And when you consider that it was also our highest NET spend ever that year, you'd be very mistaken to say he wasn't spending "mega bucks".

Dailly & Blake were Hodgson buys.

Whereas Carsley was actually signed by Kidd (and was not a good signing, btw).

Glad Hodgson got the job cos if anything it's shut the smug Southern journo's up with their Redknapp love in.

Isn't Hodgson from London?

I regularly read the Sun because I find it easy reading and I generally like the humourous touch on stories. However, I did not like their headline about Roy at all. At any other time in his reign, it would probably be funny. But being right at the start of his reign (with today's Sun saying the Germans don't know who he is) is an attempt to immediately discredit him, which is disgraceful.

What do the Germans know anyway? ;)

A German friend of my brother was over visiting recently and admitted to being bemused by the English media's preoccupation with the German national team. It would seem most Germans couldn't give a fig who the England manager is. They have bigger fish to fry.

Archived