BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodgson for England?

Baz

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish and hope roy does well for England because he is a great guy, but sadly i just dont think its going to be an easy and awarding job for him. The FA should of gone all out and got Harry, but they went for the easy and cheaper option in Roy.

I've always liked Roy. Despite his time at Rovers, and despite guiding Malmö FF to topping the league five years in a row. Gotta be a pretty likeable person to overcome that ;)

I wish him all the best in his new job, except in the game against us. As an aside, England have now had two Swedish-speaking managers.

• Backroom

It gets worse

Harry redknapp is going to the euros as a bbc pundit, you can just see them now sitting around asking what Harry would do differently

• Backroom

Even looking past Roy's managerial record, this is a man who is incredibly well read, very articulate and has been a UEFA spy for a number of years.

The reason he is (imo) a better bet than Harry, is that Roy has always picked the formation and tactics that best suit what he has at his disposal. As a wheeler-dealer, Harry has a habit of making players fit HIS system (he's certainly struck it rich at Spurs). He's by no means a BAD manager, but not one of the best. The best managers get the best out of what they have.

STRICTLY just an opinion and by no means a fact: I reckon Roy could be one of the best England managerial appointments since the non-appointment of Brian Clough.

Even looking past Roy's managerial record, this is a man who is incredibly well read, very articulate and has been a UEFA spy for a number of years.

The reason he is (imo) a better bet than Harry, is that Roy has always picked the formation and tactics that best suit what he has at his disposal. As a wheeler-dealer, Harry has a habit of making players fit HIS system (he's certainly struck it rich at Spurs). He's by no means a BAD manager, but not one of the best. The best managers get the best out of what they have.

STRICTLY just an opinion and by no means a fact: I reckon Roy could be one of the best England managerial appointments since the non-appointment of Brian Clough.

When we have a billion pound football industry that cant even produce ELEVEN quality International footballers whats the point of worrying or championing who the manager should be.

Wasn't that about 5 years ago?! :lol:

That's recent in my life-time. :P

Scots are as bad as the English in thinking their national team is better than it actually is. Truth is that whilst we are guilty as charged you lot are criminally insane. I think it's all to do with that fluke in 67.

Aye 67 was a pleasing time, almost as good as going to Argentina as 3rd favorites. Anyway don't we owe all our recent successes to people from the promsied land? I could have sworn I'd seen Kenny and Souness playing in a blue shirt.

snp.jpg

Trust you to pick someone with tits, your obsessed.

What's Scotland?? Is that a village or something?? :huh: Do they play football there? :huh:

I see the southerners have learnt sarcasm, Darwen would be proud your evolving. see Drogs reply about Kenny and Souness.

It's a good job they play football there other wise we'd have no premier league title or league cup.

Yet another English debt to a Scotsman.

:P

I liked Roy when he was at Rovers. I always felt was on a hiding to nothing. I also thought he had a lot of the senior pro's like Flowers and Sherwood mixing him a bottle in the background. I heard he changed the golf in the afternoon culture to all day training that didn't go down well.

I do hope he's given a decent chance....but I fear the press have already made their ugly minds up!

• Backroom

When we have a billion pound football industry that cant even produce ELEVEN quality International footballers whats the point of worrying or championing who the manager should be.

The man I mentioned in my post (Brian Clough) managed alright, taking an old Division 2 side (with very few personnel changed) to the twice-in-a-row reigning champions of Europe.

The players are a big part of a team, yes. But the right manager can magnify that talent on a massive scale. Cloughie was a special case, but just look at Roy himself. He took lowly Finland to their highest ever FIFA World Ranking (at the time - 33rd, unsure if this is still true) and did the same with Switzerland (all the way up to 3rd in the World).

I'm not saying he's the best there is, was and ever will be. But you can't rule out what he COULD do with England, given his previous efforts with other 'not-as-good' International sides.

The man I mentioned in my post (Brian Clough) managed alright, taking an old Division 2 side (with very few personnel changed) to the twice-in-a-row reigning champions of Europe.

The players are a big part of a team, yes. But the right manager can magnify that talent on a massive scale. Cloughie was a special case, but just look at Roy himself. He took lowly Finland to their highest ever FIFA World Ranking (at the time - 33rd, unsure if this is still true) and did the same with Switzerland (all the way up to 3rd in the World).

I'm not saying he's the best there is, was and ever will be. But you can't rule out what he COULD do with England, given his previous efforts with other 'not-as-good' International sides.

What i'm trying to challenge is why for all of the money in the game do we not have more talented English footballers than we currently do. For me over the past few generations the numbers seem to have been diminishing rather than increasing.

You have to also ask why are there not more talented English football managers out there than there currently is.

• Backroom

What i'm trying to challenge is why for all of the money in the game do we not have more talented English footballers than we currently do. For me over the past few generations the numbers seem to have been diminishing rather than increasing.

You have to also ask why are there not more talented English football managers out there than there currently is.

Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding.

To be honest, I think the playing talent is just the same as it was 'way-back-when' at best. The massive money just means they can train more easily and with better equipment and medical support (and earn a shedload for playing not quite as well as the stars of old).

In terms of English managers, I'd put it down to the invasion of foreign managers (not that I'm against foreign managers in any way).

The Sun are on a massive hate campaign to destroy Roy's reputation already. They have a back page tomorrow saying the Germans have no idea who he is, bit of a digrace really. Im starting to think Roy may be the England manager I have wanted to do the best since Bobby.

It's a non story. How many people in England knew who Joachim Loew was? Sepp Blatter certainly knows who he is. <br /><br />FFS Cretins. I hope he makes them eat his words. Failing that if he screws up I hope Harry gets it and we don't even qualify

We know how fickle the media is, I Dont have a huge interest in international football at least not where England are concerned but I hope for Roy's sake he gets off too a good start they will get off his back...for a bit.

When England win the manager is god, but if they lose and sometimes lose by simple being outclassed by the opposition he is the devil, because the press wont just admit that the talent we have does not match up to that of other countries.

I surmise you are correct, I may be WRONG here, but in looking at the wikipedia article on Hodgson, even at that "failed" job at Liverpool:

Win percentage was still at about 42% which really isn't too bad and that was basically a very bad experience for all but in hindsight, not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson Might be even better than was Kenny Dalglish is doing, I'm rather unbiased, I know Liverpool is still in the FA Cup, took the League Cup so that is something.

About 4 years ago, I was a Redknapp supporter, but the air went out of the balloon some, I don't think Harry is as enthusiastic about the England job as he was back in those years and in that time, he probably was the best.

Lastly, in International Football and the European teams, most all teams have bad tournaments except for the Germans who still did do poorly in '04. France was horrible at the World Cup and basically cheated Ireland to get there, I think Italy has been competitive generally even at the last

World Cup but still came up short.

So, I think your analysis is pretty good.

Mocking slightly disabled people on the front page of a national newspaper more pity those who buy and read the rag Bucky.

Just how much lower can the media go in this country ?

Jesus wept, rhotacism is not a 'disability' for Pete's sake. I'm sure Jonathan Ross doesn't get orange badge for not being able to pronounce the letter 'r' correctly.

The word 'disabled' has lost all meaning, it used to mean people who had severely challenging conditions that would impede their ability to live a normal life, nowadays it just means anyone who isn't the generic advert man or woman. It won't be long before having bad teeth, baldness and bad breath are classed as 'disabilities'.

To be fair if I was Roy, I'd be more upset with people labling him 'disabled' than the Sun making a joke that been done 1000 times before.

Jesus wept, rhotacism is not a 'disability' for Pete's sake. I'm sure Jonathan Ross doesn't get orange badge for not being able to pronounce the letter 'r' correctly.

The word 'disabled' has lost all meaning, it used to mean people who had severely challenging conditions that would impede their ability to live a normal life, nowadays it just means anyone who isn't the generic advert man or woman. It won't be long before having bad teeth, baldness and bad breath are classed as 'disabilities'.

To be fair if I was Roy, I'd be more upset with people labling him 'disabled' than the Sun making a joke that been done 1000 times before.

Wesult.

:rover: if arry got the job,day before we play france,the sun run a front page headline about arrys dealings,the team is in dissarry.at least with woy it will be squeaky clean,and good luck to the man :blush::brfcsmilie:

• Backroom

I regularly read the Sun because I find it easy reading and I generally like the humourous touch on stories. However, I did not like their headline about Roy at all. At any other time in his reign, it would probably be funny. But being right at the start of his reign (with today's Sun saying the Germans don't know who he is) is an attempt to immediately discredit him, which is disgraceful.

What do the Germans know anyway? ;)

• Moderation Lead

Harry Redknapp has struck gold at Spuds, for the most part he's been a decent wheeler dealer who's done reasonably well.

Just because he's tight with the media though- doesn't mean anything in terms of his England manager capabilities. Hodgson has won trophies and managed abroad, and managed internationally, how he isn't more suitable I'll never know, seems people only want to remember him for his time with the Scousers (even when he had a better record than King Kenny.....)

Archived