BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodgson for England?

Baz

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy's admitted to making mistakes at Rovers, and that he's not as arrogant now.

His time with us wasn't all bad. Although you have to say Liverpool didn't go too well, I doubt Fulham fans were unhappy with him.

Let's give the man a chance.

I'm not a fan of Hodgson's, he'd a lot to answer for at Rovers when he was here. Having said that given the lack of ability on display in the England squad he's on an hiding to nothing.

He did OK but had no chance once he had to cope with a mutiny led by certain senior pro's.

Hodgson's big failing is he doesn't like criticism - and as England manager he is going to get it in spades.

At Liverpool he alienated supporters by blaming them for his mistakes. If he tries that with England he will be dead meat for the press.

• Moderation Lead

Reading the papers this morning:

'public anger as the people's choice snubbed' and so on. 'Arry is the new Cloughie'

Aye national day of mourning that the flavour of the month has been overlooked.

Tell me they didn't compare Clough and Redknapp? How many European Cups/League titles has Redknapp won again? My word.

I really like Hodgson and am glad for him that he has been given the job but I do think it is the ultimate poisoned chalice for 2 reasons:-

1) He is coming in at a time when England have their worst ever squad. Just the thought of Scott Parker being potentially our best player is incredible really. he may look like a 50s matinee idol with his nice hair but he is average in the extreme and wouldn't have even got a look in a few years ago.

2) The press are masively pro "Arry" and will be on his back from day 1 with the inevitable outcome as soon as he shows any signs of buckling under the pressure.

If you add Rooney's suspension into the mix he really is in a difficult position. Wish him all the best though as he's a nice guy and an excellent manager.

i do think we have some cracking players, especially the younger ones, and a man like hodgson, whos been there before and club and international level can get the best out of them, cappello didnt understand the english culture, for me hodgson is as close to a continental english manager as we are going to get, think we will get out of the group and fall at the quarter final stage!!!

• Backroom

Good luck to him

I dont get the outrage and feeling that England deserve or are entitled to a certain level of success

I know some spurs fans on twitter are gutted that it means Harry stays there, funny what happens to fans of teams doing well

Who in England actually wanted Redknapp, apart from the media and the talksport listening white van man of the south east?

Ah, but apparently the players were tweeting their approval of Redknapp, whereas they've been silent about Hodgson.

That's what I picked up on the news this morn. I would've listened on but then... I really don't care.

• Backroom

Redknapp's an immature, cockney tosser and I'm glad he didn't get the England job.

There's not a massive amount of candidates so I'm glad Roy got the job. There's no reason big countries should have to outsource the national team manager's job to a foreigner. In fact it's a little bit embarrassing IMO.

He did OK but had no chance once he had to cope with a mutiny led by certain senior pro's.

What about all the ###### he signed for massive money ? Name me a player he signed that made an impact. I'll give you a start Henchoz and , and , err. Did you hear the story Jim Smith told about Hodgson signing Christian Bloody Dailly ? Derby's directors told Jim not to accept a penny under £ 2 million. Woy boy's opening offer was £ 5 Million !

• Backroom

He's racist though, when asked about captain he said he wanted to find the white man for the job

Sorry

What about all the ###### he signed for massive money ? Name me a player he signed that made an impact. I'll give you a start Henchoz and , and , err. Did you hear the story Jim Smith told about Hodgson signing Christian Bloody Dailly ? Derby's directors told Jim not to accept a penny under £ 2 million. Woy boy's opening offer was £ 5 Million !

I thought that tale originated in Soton with Kevin Davies?

tbh Hodgson could do well because he has been there before with Switzerland, BUT imo international managers should be inspirational types who can motivate players to the cause. I don't see Woy in this category and would think Arry might be the man to do this.

On the plus side Hodgson is much more like Sir Alf Ramsey than Arry. He needs to make his own mind up about his tactical formation, pick the best players to fit into that (note not necessarily the best players) and then give a big fat finger to the press, media and sponsors.

Not been mentioned but Arry is a wide boy who very easily could be banged up at Her Majesty's pleasure for tax evasion. Who can say for definite that there is not more to uncover about his murky tax evasion.... err...which he didn't do of course..... it was all his dog's idea remember. :rolleyes:

Wisely the FA simply don't do either scandal or risk do they?

Who in England actually wanted Redknapp, apart from the media and the talksport listening white van man of the south east?

I am glad I am not the only one that thought the Redknapp for England was more about the Southern media - than what the genuine man in the street wanted. I really don't get the way Redknapp is suddenly some form of managerial god because he managed to get an under achieving Spuds to achieve their potential - oh and spend a shed load of money in the process. If he was any sort of managerial mastermind Spuds would be still challenging for the title and not desperately trying to get fourth spot.

When you look at the two CV's = Hodgsons is actually better IMO.

You'll go out in the group stages with Woy in charge.

Beaten by France and Sweden with a draw against the Ukraine.

That would represent a roaring success for your lot Maj. err do I detect a few sour grapes perhaps? :P

Archived