BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

Well, there it is, or is it?

Enjoy the Para's as much as you enjoyed the Olympics.

In fact, there's much more to be enjoyed by the para's as the participants have worked so much harder to be where they are.

Some of it is hard to watch, because of the disabilities, but it does not detract from their efforts.

These guys are the true Olympians. They are not paid huge amounts, if any , they do it for their health and wellbeing,

I admire these guys more than any of the "athletes" performing in the past two weeks.

MK, I think it was you that asked about the guilt factor I mentioned, well here it is. It's on you doorstep. Watch it, as I watched it in Sydney.

A decent point, undermined by cynicism. Why the inverted commas around "athletes"? Because they able bodied they are less deserving of the title? Strange sentiment.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there it is, or is it?

Enjoy the Para's as much as you enjoyed the Olympics.

In fact, there's much more to be enjoyed by the para's as the participants have worked so much harder to be where they are.

Some of it is hard to watch, because of the disabilities, but it does not detract from their efforts.

These guys are the true Olympians. They are not paid huge amounts, if any , they do it for their health and wellbeing,

I admire these guys more than any of the "athletes" performing in the past two weeks.

MK, I think it was you that asked about the guilt factor I mentioned, well here it is. It's on you doorstep. Watch it, as I watched it in Sydney.

The footballers aside, how much do you reckon most of the 'athletes' are paid??

The footballers aside, how much do you reckon most of the 'athletes' are paid??

The top sprinters will be paid fantastic sums as will the top tennis players etc whilst the minority sports competitors like archery and tegatani might just about get travelling expenses.

A decent point, undermined by cynicism. Why the inverted commas around "athletes"? Because they able bodied they are less deserving of the title? Strange sentiment.

T4E, The athletes at this level are more businesses based around sport.

As Theno points out some of these guys are paid fantastic sums of money, not just the sprinters and tennis players, but the swimmers and cyclists and those involved in high profile sports.

Surely it must be harder to get in the US basketball team (able bodied), than the wheelchair team....

Try and get into their team if you are an amputee, or have some vision disability.

Remember, those that compete in the para's have some disability that they have had to overcome, and then had to train for their particular sport.

I understand that but I still think the odds of competing in the paraolympics are shorter than in the able bodied games. .....less competition for places...

Are you suggesting that there are more disabled people than able bodied?

I'd suggest that the parameters for getting into the Paralympics are somewhat more stringent that the Olympics.

I'd suggest that the parameters for getting into the Paralympics are somewhat more stringent that the Olympics.

No way.

Edit:

Using basketball as an example, probably every single American kid has at least picked up a ball and thrown it at a hoop one time.

Those with an aptitude for it might play regularly for fun.

The cream of the crop, the lucky few, might one day get to play for a college team.

Out every 100 of those, the best 1 or 2 would make it to the NBA.

Out of those players, only a handful make it to the Olympics.

That's an entire nation - an entire generation - of able-bodied potential sportsmen distilled into a dozen or so super talented individuals.

Did anyone read this on BBC Sport -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19241917

Article is about the dates on which most Olympians/sportsmen/women are born, interestingly Redgrave, Hoy and Farah were all born on March 23rd.

The bit I don't get is the bit that says "if you put 23 people in a room you have a 50-50 chance of a shared birthday". Can anyone explain that to me? Because I haven't got the first clue how that could be true?

Well just back and I must say congrats to all gold winners and Jim did you eat humble pie?

How can he? That would mean him metaphorically awarding a gold medal to the Conservative peer whose drive and determination masterminded the entire event.

Congratulations to all the medal winners from state schools who triumphed against all the odds despite their school playing fields being sold by a succession of Conservative governments.

Playing fields? Is that the reason? I'd assumed the public school success was all down to breeding and superior genetics.

Playing fields? Is that the reason? I'd assumed the public school success was all down to breeding and superior genetics.

You might be right: public schools don't tend to produce people with short legs and red hair.

On the other hand their success might be down to money and privilege - which makes the success of the underfunded state schools loathed by the Tories even more welcome.

Archived